• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11-B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    With the ammo scare thing going on earlier this year I choose to go the reloading route....I figured I could make my own and save some cash (get to shoot more) I got all kinds of equipment I got the single stage press ( lock and load deluxe package) I got the sonic cleaner I can ever melt lead and load shotgun....my question is where in the hell do you find the time....I am not as busy as most I am in school full time and have 2 children I get my Gi Bill and keep my bills low so I dont really work right now but I still struggle to find the time for any of it....I have not even reloaded my first bullet part in fact to not having any die sets...but hell I can go make 00 buck shot or 9mm lead cast bullets I have over 100 pounds of lead I have in ingots (I made from wheel weights) and 8 pounds of powder...... maybe its just more of a hobby thing people get into instead of an necessity (unless there just is no ammo ever anymore) I am prob gonna just sell most of the stuff

I know this is more of a rant than anything (if even that) but out of however many re loaders out there in INGO land how many of you do it out of a necessity and how many of you just really like it :popcorn: :dunno:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If you do not have time to reload, you probably do not have time to go shooting anyways. I work on my reloading in small batches, takes up smaller blocks of time that way. I personally enjoy reloading as a hobby in itself. Of course, I enjoy shooting even more.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I have a feeling that a lot of people who just went out and bought reloading equipment during this "Scare" are going to find out just what you did. Reloading takes quite a bit of time.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I got the single stage press ... I can go make 00 buck shot or 9mm lead cast bullets... I have over 100 pounds of lead

screw that single stage and bullet casting nonsense, especially for pistol ammo! go progressive! buy bullets, make a lot of ammo in a little bit of time still saving a bunch of $, then go shoot. save the single stage stuff for the guys who make a hobby out of making bullets or shoot benchrest. I aint got time for that, either.

Pick up a dillon 550. Once you are set up you are cranking out a hundred rounds in 10 minutes.

crank out a bunch of ammo in the winter, ignore the press in the summer and go shoot!

-rvb

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I look at it as a hobby. I enjoy reloading as much as I enjoy shooting. I find it relaxing.

Plus, my ammo is soooooo much better shooting than factory ammo.

Last edited:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I work and go to school as well, no kids. I still find time to reload though. I do it because I train at least once a month, and if I did not reload, I would not be able to.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    screw that single stage and bullet casting nonsense, especially for pistol ammo! go progressive! buy bullets, make a lot of ammo in a little bit of time still saving a bunch of $, then go shoot. save the single stage stuff for the guys who make a hobby out of making bullets or shoot benchrest. I aint got time for that, either.

Pick up a dillon 550. Once you are set up you are cranking out a hundred rounds in 10 minutes.

crank out a bunch of ammo in the winter, ignore the press in the summer and go shoot!

-rvb

I agree with this... Save the stuff for making your own bullets until the time, if it comes, when that is the only option. If that time ever comes, you will have plenty of time after weeding the garden that feeds your family.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I agree with this... Save the stuff for making your own bullets until the time, if it comes, when that is the only option. If that time ever comes, you will have plenty of time after weeding the garden that feeds your family.

+1 I sold off everything to go to grad school. I figured I would replace it all later. In the course of 6 years everything doubled in price and some things just are not available. Keep your stuff, esp. if you do not have to pay storage.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    You had time to melt down lead, but don't have time to resize, prime, charge and seat bullets? Reloading takes time, sure but not so much that you should be sitting on a pile of equipment and still haven't put any loads together.

Most guys in your situation are just afraid to actually roll their sleeves up and load some ammo. Find an experienced reloader to come give you a hand the first time or two. If you're south of Indy, I'd be glad to come over and help you get started. Once you know how to do it you'll stop making excuses that you don't have enough time. :)

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You had time to melt down lead, but don't have time to resize, prime, charge and seat bullets? Reloading takes time, sure but not so much that you should be sitting on a pile of equipment and still haven't put any loads together.

Most guys in your situation are just afraid to actually roll their sleeves up and load some ammo. Find an experienced reloader to come give you a hand the first time or two. If you're south of Indy, I'd be glad to come over and help you get started. Once you know how to do it you'll stop making excuses that you don't have enough time. :)

Tell it like it is. Dammmmm. :):

Silver-z28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Henry County
    Nothing is simple. As a lot have said I work up batches one day I deprime and size, the next I trim, then tumble once again for a high shine. To me it give more pride in shooting just like hunting grounds knowing you have worked with the bullet loads and gotten it down.I didn't start this because of the shortage I did it as a little hobby for myself.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Having kids is a huge sacrifice! I can relate to your situation. I quit my job to be a stay at home dad, go back to school in the evening hours, and work part time for some spending money. Reloading is a huge time burgler and is very expensive but is the one thing I hung onto. I sold all my hunting gear and cut fishing and everything else I was into. Doesnt help my range is an hour one way. Real pain when working up new loads. I try to do things in tiny batches or burn the midnight oil. I absolutly love shooting more than anything and if I cant be at the range reloading is the next best thing. If your heart is in it you will find the time. It may eventually be a family thing. My two year old helps me sort brass already. Think about it before you sell it. If you shoot a ton reloading is not for you either. I would buy as cheap as possible and leave it lay. If you are into tuning your own loads for accuracy then you will enjoy it. If your just into blasting sell it off.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    If you shoot a ton reloading is not for you either. I would buy as cheap as possible and leave it lay. ...

I disagree. Again, that's what progressive presses are for. As a competitive shooter I at one point I was going through more than 20k/yr, just in 9mm. That doesn't include rimfire and rifle. My 550B plus scales, tumbler, etc paid for itself in under 1 yr, only loading 9mm! (and I was loading 147 jhp vs 115 ball from wallyworld). I couldn't have continued to afford to shoot at that rate w/o the press. I could load a months worth of ammo in a weekend, incl cleaning/sorting, etc.

Depends what your goals are.

I hate reloading. but I do get cheaper, better ammo. so I suck it up and do it.

-rvb

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I get about 2 times a month to get out and really reload. Helps me stay awake when changing from days to nights for work.

Buy some dies already and just spend a little time here and there.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I disagree. Again, that's what progressive presses are for. As a competitive shooter I at one point I was going through more than 20k/yr, just in 9mm. That doesn't include rimfire and rifle. My 550B plus scales, tumbler, etc paid for itself in under 1 yr, only loading 9mm! (and I was loading 147 jhp vs 115 ball from wallyworld). I couldn't have continued to afford to shoot at that rate w/o the press. I could load a months worth of ammo in a weekend, incl cleaning/sorting, etc.

Depends what your goals are.

I hate reloading. but I do get cheaper, better ammo. so I suck it up and do it.

-rvb

Every guy that I see at the range that has problems with ammo or blows up a gun was using a progressive press.

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I like it and it is only a necessity for me to achieve the most accurate ammo. A very long time ago I worked for a manager who encouraged his supervisors and engineers to attend the Franklin Time Management course. After attending, he asked for my feedback and I told him it was an excellent course and that he should attend. His response was priceless - "I would but, I just don't have the time."

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Not too far off from your situation. I rarely have time for INGO (requiring zero brain power, allowable while consuming beer) let alone my other hobbies. I also brew beer, do track days with my car, build crazy motorized contraptions in the garage, keep up with 40 chickens, reload ammo, and go shooting sometimes, among a thousand other things I dabble in.

I have a progressive press I bought during the last shortage. Once I got it set up and had components and dies, ammo was again available. I packed it back in its box and listed it for sale for 75% of my costs. No bites. Sat on it for a while and dug it up again. I had space to set it up and just leave it. Over the past winter I started loading again. I cranked out a good amount of ammo without much time commitment. I had other people stop by and use my press and dies and learn how to load. I had fun reloading. Now I have more ammo than I have time to shoot. I haven't touched the press in at least a month. Come colder weather I may find that I'm not out in the garage screwing around with stuff, but rather be inside screwing around with stuff. Reloading doesn't require much time investment, you can start/stop whenever. I would recommend a progressive if you're loading plinking pistol ammo. Leave the single stage to the bench shooters and reloading as a hobby types. I am usually at work from 6am till 8pm 5-6 days a week and still have work related stuff I need to do when I'm at home. But reloading doesn't take a huge investment IME. One night I'll sort my brass. Another night I'll setup the decap/resize die and run all the brass through. Another free hour I'll toss the brass in the tumbler and flip the power switch on, and turn it off when I leave for work. Then the next night I'll clean the media out of the brass. Find some more time? Setup the bell die, setup and weigh out powder charges, setup bullet seater/crimp die. Find another free hour someday and run out 50 rounds, weigh every 5th charge to ensure consistency on the thrower and put the rounds in a bag. Got another hour free? Head to your shooting spot and try em out. Take notes. Next time you've got an hour free, make an adjustment and load out another batch. Really, reloading doesn't require long time investments in a linear pattern. I don't have time available like that. When I do have a block of free time, I usually run the brewery which requires 4-5hours uninterrupted. Reloading I can do a box of ammo over the course of a month if need be. But once I'm happy with it, the press is set up and I can sit down for an hour or two and run out several hundred rounds.

The number of people that "bought in" to reloading is incredible. Every time I'm at cabelas I see someone picking up a starter kit, or have someone come up to me to ask questions about reloading and I'm just looking to score some primers, I don't work there. You'll not get your money back if you sell. But since you've got the stuff, start loading. You had time to make this post, you have time to make some ammo.

Top Bottom