• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Best I've ever used is a Dana Designs Terraplane. I carried 70lbs up Mt. Rainier with it, and although it didn't make the load any lighter, it did make it manageable, without shifting. I'm not all that sure you can buy one anymore though.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Large ALICE pack with frame, rated to 50lbs.

He beat me to it, but I'd also like to add that I don't know what a Large Alice is rated at, but I know they've been loaded down with a lot more than 50#'s and abused only to come out smiling on the other end.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I use a Kelty pack for my hikes. Wife uses an Osprey. We really try to keep our starting weights under 38 lbs. for me and under 33 for her, but both packs can easily hold 50.

Both of these packs have internal frames.

climber409

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Franklin
    If you havent bought one yet consider trying some on to make sure it will adjust to your size first.There is nothing worst than a wrong size pack especially climbing up mt.rainer.I have about 6 packs for different jobs and have found lowe alpine works the best for me.Dont think you could go wrong with a dana either.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I used to train with a Gregory pack with a 50 lb plate in it. It held fine.

Although I'd never actually carry that much on a hike (I can go for a week in winter with only 30lbs), I would say most modern high-end packs could handle 50 lbs. I've seen everything on the AT. I saw a pack weigh in at 80 lbs one time. Guy was carrying enough gear for 3 people, including a full SLR kit!!!

I would think even the mid-range stuff like Camelback would carry 50 lbs.

But, like Climber says, make sure it fits-that's one of the most overlooked aspects.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but re-think your gear if you can and try to lighten that load.

"He who would travel happy must travel light" Antoine St. Exupery

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the USMC uses what's called an ILBE main pack...with a "3-day assault pack"...the smaller assault pack will definitely handle 50lbs....but the main pack, while it is considerably larger, you will probably not be able to fill it up enough to break it by ANY means...they are rated for 120lbs...i've spent a LOT of time beating the hell out of them in all sorts of environments....you can find them on Ebay for a fair price if you shop around....just search ILBE......they're AWESOME packs if you don't mind Marine MARPAT pattern

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I personally like millet bags. I have put around that amount of weight in my 30l bag that was rated for less and it held well with no damage. My AVG load is around 20lbs in it. If you go for a bigger size they can hold alot.

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Try the "rei" web site. Then go to a store (new one being built in indy). I go to 2 different ones in the chicago area, I tried on a few different brands , walked around the store with weight in them and chose one for my yellowstone back country trip. What i used was good for me but packs are individual purchases so you have to see what works for you and your requirements (your size and shape, your uses etc.) I found for me that the truely $$$$$$$ packs didnt do anything better for me then a $$$ pack, except that it was 1 lb lighter. For me 1 - 2 lbs didnt make a difference but $$$ did. ( i also figured if 2 lbs was a deal breaker id lose some weight (50lbs so far) ).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I've had all sorts of packs over the years. For large packs, the CF-90 is an internal-frame military pack you sometimes see on surplus sites. Any of the current military infantry packs/frames combinations will carry more weight than you want to haul with no worries. Woodland and Desert Camo models are going for around $50 surplus; you can usually find some at the Indy1500. Some of the "luggage" style packs (Eagle Creek comes to mind) will carry 50# but they won't be terribly comfortable. Lowe Alpine Equipment makes good (expensive) expedition packs if you don't want to go with the "military surplus" look.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If I'm not wrong, Mystery Ranch is the company Dana (of Dana Designs) started after he sold his first company off to one of the bigger conglomerates. if I ever needed another pack I'd sure give them a hard look, but my Dana Terraplane is so bombproof I'm not sure I'll ever wear it out.

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    32   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy
    If I'm not wrong, Mystery Ranch is the company Dana (of Dana Designs) started after he sold his first company off to one of the bigger conglomerates. if I ever needed another pack I'd sure give them a hard look, but my Dana Terraplane is so bombproof I'm not sure I'll ever wear it out.

Yeah the above statement is true.

As far as the ILBE i have one and love it. I got it from govliquidation.com it is a really big pack. Nice pack designed by AcrTeryx and manufactured by Proper i think.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    On the less costly side I would go with a Alice pack with or without the metal frame. If you want to spend a little bit you could go with a nice Northface pack Cadillac of back packs (if you dont mind them being made in Vietnam..I already bought and had it a year before I noticed.) Both are good packs will work.

jimes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    West Lafayette
    Throughout my deployment I used a 5.11 pack as my 3day. Sturdy, reliable, and pretty light but it can sure take a beating. Molle on the front for added accessories as well.

Top Bottom