• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    My beloved Golden Retriever, Toby, has been diagnosed with hemangiosarcoma of his spleen. It's a fast growning cancer and it spreads quickly. Surgery would not save his life. The vet says he probably only has a few weeks to a few months left. I'm trying to give him as much love and attention (not to mention extra treats) as possible. He is a special part of our family and I don't want to imagine what life would be like without him. I'm praying for a miracle.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Thank you Gunman, edsinger, and Shooter. I am grateful to have some time left with him. He is a special dog. Anyone who is around him for very long says he is the most human dog they have ever seen. Sometimes he can look at you and you know exactly what he's "saying". Usually something along the line of "Are you going to eat that?". :) He was trained in the Ohio prison system to be a service dog for handicapped people. He didn't pass his final evaluation (they said he didn't have a good enough work ethic) and I was able to adopt him. We've been there for each other ever since. I can't believe that's all going to come to an end.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Two weeks ago I did one of the hardest thing that I have had to do in my life. I had to have my 13 year old black lab put down. He had bad hips and I had to help him up most of the time. In the last week of his life he was have problem keeping food and water down. My wife and I decided it was time. I looked into his eyes as the vet inserted the needle and with tears in my eyes I watched him pass. He was finally at peace. It broke our hearts and we miss the old boy dearly. RIP Buddy Mac, I couldn't have ask for a better dog than you were.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    dang man, I'll pray for you. I've got a Golden that's getting kinda old, and they are the sweetest dogs ever. I don't think I'll get any other breed besides a Golden (maybe a mix with Golden).

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Well, without getting too sentimental, I'll give my opinion on one thing. I don't give a hoot what the preacher says. Dogs most definitely DO go to heaven. And ill have a pack waiting. Imagine coming through THAT front door!

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Put down a 14 y/o Springer 1 week ago today with Hemangiosarcoma tumor around her heart...RIP "Lady"
    IMAG0011.jpg

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Very sorry to hear this - cherish the time you have left with him. I lost my 13 year old black lab ( Rawly ) this year. I pray that there is no suffering for Toby.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Well, without getting too sentimental, I'll give my opinion on one thing. I don't give a hoot what the preacher says. Dogs most definitely DO go to heaven. And ill have a pack waiting. Imagine coming through THAT front door!
    I have to believe that too. When I look in Toby's eyes, I can see that he has a soul and I'm sure that hsi soul is more pure than most peoples (mine included).

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    I'm sorry for all of you who have lost your beloved pets also. (Lady was beautiful, ggglobert9). I'll post a picture of Toby as soon as I get one on electronic media. He's a handsome boy too.
    I'd love to see some other INGO dogs.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    Very sorry to hear this - cherish the time you have left with him. I lost my 13 year old black lab ( Rawly ) this year. I pray that there is no suffering for Toby.
    Sorry for your loss too, warangelcometh. We won't let Toby suffer; I'll go through the pain of being by his side while the vet ends his life in order to save him from the pain of a lingering death. He seems comfortable now and I'm giving him a low dose of pain medicine just in case. I just pray that I'll know when the time has come to let him go. I want him to have every minute on earth possible, but I also want that time to be happy and free of pain.

All of your thoughts and prayers are appreciated.

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Here are my latest three. RIP BO - I cried for two days after he died. I know how you feel and my thoughts are with you!!! With dogs, ALL the memories are great ones.

In dog circles, they talk about dogs going to the Rainbow Bridge and waiting for their owners to join them. While they wait, they run until they decide not to ... never hindered by any restraints.

Belle, my Buddy and friend who will listen and accept anything I say:
    IMG_0131.jpg

Keebler, a rescue from the Hamilton Co. Humane Society - one of the top three shelters in the US.
    IMG_0051.jpg

Bo - the best dog I've ever known.
    KimberHomecomingandNaples150.jpg

Last edited:

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I have to believe that too. When I look in Toby's eyes, I can see that he has a soul and I'm sure that hsi soul is more pure than most peoples (mine included).

I couldn't agree more!.. I just had this talk with my spiritual advisor/friend and he believes the latter. I told him, it didn't matter what he believed on this subject, my beliefs were not beliefs.. it was certainty. When you look into those eyes, it is no longer a question, is it? :)

I have lost two dogs myself and currently am the owner/father of a 1 year old Golden named Louie. I have had great dogs my whole life and IMO, none have ever had as much (human-like) personality as Lou Boo. Golden's are great dogs and I understand what you are going through... If you get down, and the time comes, try to remember this one thing... it always helps me when dealing with a loss: When dealing with something like this, it is hard because it feels like your dog is being taken from it's home (where he belongs), when in actuality, Toby is going home (to heaven) to be with the one who created him. He will reflect on Toby's life and see all the loyalty and joy he brought into your family's lives and it will be a celebration!

Thoughts and prayers are with you throughout this tough time.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    So sorry to hear that. I know it's hard to think about having to let go of your pal. We had to have our golden put to sleep around October of last year. He suddenly started having violent seizures and it got to the point where he was having them 4-5 times a day. The vet told us all we could do at first was to keep a log of the occurrences to give them an idea of what to look for. It got to be too much for my wife and kids to watch. In about a week he went from healthy to barely able to walk. We had to do something because we could tell he was suffering so we had him put down.

We definitely know what your going through and wish you the best in these terrible circumstances.

nicp2.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom