I'm more P/O than a republican at a gay parade....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Got any warrants?

If you have a common name and did not provide SS# maybe they are mixing up the ID with another person.

Or they found out you have a lithium salt lick in your house.

well.......Not sure how common Christian is. I know my last name common like SMITH......but WTF! i bought a handgun 1 month ago!!!!!!!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    There is a lot of ID theft going on. That can really screw things up. The papers are reporting that a lot of hackers are using Efile and getting other peoples refunds credited to their bogus bank accounts. Have you checked you taxes?

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Wouldn't they both achieve the same goal? :dunno: Is there any reason to go through the trouble of getting a UPIN if you already have a SSN, besides the fear of the government obtaining your SSN, which they already have?

I have no conclusive proof, but I think there's no rhyme or reason to why they sometimes delay/deny people. Maybe they run an SSN and it's close to a felon's but they don't check the name. Maybe a person has a non-violent misdemeanor and NICS is in a bad mood that day, even though the person should be allowed to proceed. Maybe it's the federal government and that's reason enough. Who knows? But if someone starts to experience delays or denials for an unknown reason, even with using their SSN, a UPIN would be one way to avoid such hassles.

After a couple delays I got one. Knock on wood, I've had no problems since then.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    There is a lot of ID theft going on. That can really screw things up. The papers are reporting that a lot of hackers are using Efile and getting other peoples refunds credited to their bogus bank accounts. Have you checked you taxes?

Yeah....I'm 90% sure no one has stolen my identity.....yet.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I have no conclusive proof, but I think there's no rhyme or reason to why they sometimes delay/deny people. Maybe they run an SSN and it's close to a felon's but they don't check the name. Maybe a person has a non-violent misdemeanor and NICS is in a bad mood that day, even though the person should be allowed to proceed. Maybe it's the federal government and that's reason enough. Who knows? But if someone starts to experience delays or denials for an unknown reason, even with using their SSN, a UPIN would be one way to avoid such hassles.

After a couple delays I got one. Knock on wood, I've had no problems since then.

I'll tell you what. I NEVER wish anyone to go through this. Now i have to wait till friday to get my finger prints take and mail them to NICS, which is going to take 5-10 days to reply back.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    I'll tell you what. I NEVER wish anyone to go through this. Now i have to wait till friday to get my finger prints take and mail them to NICS, which is going to take 5-10 days to reply back.

I wish you good luck and look forward to reading on here that everything got straightened out.

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I didn't know i could......i can do that? Either way, i cant to get this straighten out. I do not want to keep doing this every time i buy a gun. I want to get this taken care of once and for all!

dam govt trying to take my gun rights away......:xmad:

I think you are getting a little prematurely worked up about something that you shouldn't, I for one don't think the Govt. is trying to take away your gun rights. You have to jump through the same hoops as the rest of us when purchasing a gun and if you read the paperwork carefully and you answer the questions correctly than there should not be any problem that red flags the govt. I suggest you walk in politely and calmly using your manners and you should be able to get things taken care of reasonably quick or you will most likely never be able to purchase a gun legally anywhere. just my :twocents:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I think you are getting a little prematurely worked up about something that you shouldn't, I for one don't think the Govt. is trying to take away your gun rights. You have to jump through the same hoops as the rest of us when purchasing a gun and if you read the paperwork carefully and you answer the questions correctly than there should not be any problem that red flags the govt. I suggest you walk in politely and calmly using your manners and you should be able to get things taken care of reasonably quick or you will most likely never be able to purchase a gun legally anywhere. just my :twocents:

I AM CALM! What PMO was that i can buy a gun 1 month ago, then i get one shipped to Bradis and i get denied.

My take is that if i'm able to get my gun license, PERIOD- thats it, nada, no mas, no more. I shouldn't jump through hoops every time i buy a gun. If i have my gun permit, that's all i should present. :twocents:

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    I AM CALM! What PMO was that i can buy a gun 1 month ago, then i get one shipped to Bradis and i get denied.

My take is that if i'm able to get my gun license, PERIOD- thats it, nada, no mas, no more. I shouldn't jump through hoops every time i buy a gun. If i have my gun permit, that's all i should present. :twocents:

I don't disagree, Just keep calm about it and it will work out. I know its an inconvenience but it will be well worth it. You can chalk it up as experience. I know the first gun I bought, I thankfully had a buddy working at the shop and he walked me through the whole thing. Keep us updated on the process and good luck!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne

You can have your permit, then become a felon, or nut job. Thus the reason you still have to follow the new purchase rules.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I don't disagree, Just keep calm about it and it will work out. I know its an inconvenience but it will be well worth it. You can chalk it up as experience. I know the first gun I bought, I thankfully had a buddy working at the shop and he walked me through the whole thing. Keep us updated on the process and good luck!

will do :yesway:

J man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Defiance, OH area
    I have a very common first and last name so I always use my SSN. I don't want to but I want to save myself the hassle.

What is UPIN?

Last edited:

Balinor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    I think some on this thread are getting denied and delayed mixed. Being denied your ssn wont matter delayed it "may" have helped. After the fact it doesnt matter once its called in its "in". Either way I always have it on the form. The forms stay on site and if the store gets broken into I doubt the thieves look for the paperwork to get SSN's. also I am sure the government knows my ssn and that I have guns. (not trying to sound sarcastic that is just my opinion). I do hope your issue gets cleared quickly without any more crap.

rightwinger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    Mother Indiana
    i have bought many firearms and was never delayed till i went to bradis. not three days later i went to PSS to purchase the same weapon and walked out that day a happy customer. im not trying to say anything bad about bradis but thats the only place ive been delayed.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    A UPIN is an id number that you can get if you are routinely denied/delayed because of similar name, identity thefte, whatever. It tells the NICS that you aren't the other guy.
    I'm sure someone, that knows the details better, will come along and give all the ins and outs, but that's the gist of it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Can you ask them to run it again and use your SSN? If you purchased a month ago and weren't denied possibly that will solve the problem. Someone could have transposed a #, at Bradis OR at the other end. That would be my guess if you bought without a hassle a month ago.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I suggest you walk in politely and calmly using your manners and you should be able to get things taken care of reasonably quick or you will most likely never be able to purchase a gun legally anywhere. just my :twocents:

I don't think you're gonna stroll into Bradis at this point, calm or not, and get it taken care of there. It's just out of their hands if you were denied.

But as a side note, it doesn't matter how pissed off you get at Bradis; that has nothing to do with you buying a gun in the future - unless being pissed off turns into a felony arrest ;)

I think some on this thread are getting denied and delayed mixed. Being denied your ssn wont matter delayed it "may" have helped. After the fact it doesnt matter once its called in its "in".

Ya, I'm not so sure I believe a LOT of "info" in this thread...

Any deny can be reversed; especially considering a SS# wasn't used. The government doesn't even know who is buying a gun without the SS# - and THAT's a fact.

"Jim Smith is here to buy a gun. Let's call it in" :rolleyes:

Top Bottom