• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Revere's Riders in IN is just getting back to training due to the COVID issue. You might find a basic rifle Appleseed event in MI to fit your schedule. Same rifle instruction from a talented group of Instructors ... not as good as IN RR Instructors mind you, but not far off.

After you get a basic rifle class under your belt, try a Carbine class ... this is a RR exclusive class.

One thing to keep in mind, if you and your wife want to train together, you each need a rifle. You cannot effectively share a rifle.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I appreciate the suggestions. I've looked at the DNR site, and I'll look into Bend of the river. We go to Niles for vehicle maintenance, so I'll see if it's close.
    You wouldn't be too far from Pigeon River FWA (aka Mongo), for your shooting.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    NE Bristol. About a stones throw from Middlebury.

Jeez Ole Pete, you've got the St Joe Valley Rifle Club with their Wak-E-Dah(sic) range almost next door to you at 18067 SR 120, Bristol. Drove by there Wednesday and they have a number to call on the sign for new membership.

There's also St Joe Valley Restoration Club at 57979 CR100, Elkhart.

My favorite in the area is Edwardsburg Conservation Club (on facebook) at 26525 Pine Lk St Edwardsburg which has muzzleloading, pistol, rifle, trap, and plenty of family events once the corvid restrictions ease back up.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Pigeon River is state owned so the only problem is getting in line. they can sometimes have a crowd or some guy checking the ballistics of his hand loads will be camped out for hours taking one of the lanes.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I once read about a guy waiting an hour between shots to check cold bore accuracy of his hand loads.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    I'm aware of the place in Bristol, but in looking at their website, it's the same as most of the places I've found, and that have been suggested. They require a membership, and that is only approved after a proficiency test, and proof of knowledge of the firearm....

That's news to me, when I inquired at Bristol they requested we meet for breakfast to get to know one another, but never got that far as I ended up going to Edwardsburg instead which offered more to me @ $75 a year and required only attending a Tuesday nite Board meeting (carry-in dinner) with rules review/range orientation afterwards.

I had quite a few Midwest Range Passes given with purchase over the years that I always re-gifted to friends/relatives, never have shot indoors.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I'm sure the Springfield rifle is a decent AR, there are actually many out there, that will do the job just fine for most of us that do not put them through the ringer, day in and day out. I am a fan of Del Ton AR's myself, and they have always done well for me.

I would make sure you have some spare parts around for the BCG, and things like that. I shoot .223 most of the time, being as though mine are all carbine length gas systems in them, and it keeps the ejection pattern more around the 3-4 O'clock position for me...of course, there are other parts that can be "dropped" in to help tame that gas pressure and BCG velocity.

Top Bottom