• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Without details, I can’t evaluate how necessary this was, but I, generally, wouldn’t enjoy costing someone their job.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Without details, I can’t evaluate how necessary this was, but I, generally, wouldn’t enjoy costing someone their job.

My company fired one of the safety guys.
    He was not happy.
    But he thought he was going to be "smart" and "sneak up" and catch people.
    He broke THREE safety rules.

1) Failure to notify operating foremen that you have entered the building.
    This is so if there is a fire or explosion, they know if anyone is missing, or to narrow down what name goes with the charred remains.
    I think this usually results in time off without pay, unless you repeat the offense.

2) Failure of personnel to change the crane status lights. Red/Yellow/Green. This lets people know someone is on the crane, if it is operational or maintenance, and if the crane can be "bumped" or not.
    This will often result in serious time off without pay.

3) Failure of personnel boarding the crane (other than the operator) to notify the operating foreman that you are boarding or leaving the crane, and the work being done.
    More serious than number 1. Will result in firing.

So this safety guy entered the building, boarded an offline crane that was lit up as "unoccupied. Okay to bump". And he didn't change the status.
    So he was trying to look down from the crane to find people to fire or give time off.
    When the operating foreman found out, he was VERY ANGRY. and called the safety guy's supervisor. (He found out, because a crane operator was YELLING that someone was in the offline crane marked safe to bump)
    Who instantly fired the guy.
    Since they had fired people for those same things, they couldn't very well have safety guy get away with it. Bad for morale.

Top Bottom