• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Yesterday I submitted my letter of intent to retire. My last work day is Dec. 18, 2011.:rockwoot:
    I am really looking forward to it. More hunting and range time is in store for me. :ar15:I have been in my current position for 34 years, and
    I will be turning 62 in January.
    On another note, it is bittersweet. I loved my job, and have worked with most of my colleagues for 20 years or more. I will miss them.
    It is hard to believe that I have reached this milestone. Funny thing is "I don't feel old".
    How many :ingo: members are retired?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Congratulations! Beware! Retirement sucks!
    Find something to keep on your regular schedule. It'll make it easier.
    When first "off the clock" I kept busy with a lot of projects I needed to catch up on. After caught up on those I took on more projects to keep busy.
    I finally decided to take my skills and do a little part time work in my field. It's the best thing I could have done.
    I was an electronics design engineer when I retired. Now I'm little more than a glorified TV repairman but I feel productive and it's a little bit of extra income I get to put towards my hobbies.
    Nothing is pushing any schedule for the most part so I can enjoy what I'm doing at my own pace.
    Enjoy "reaping the rewards of your labor" and keep busy. Don't just stop working. It'll drain you.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Congrats!! I managed to pull it off when I was 59 and never looked back. Now my wife and I wonder how we ever had the time to work. It did take about a year to realize that I didn't have to concern myself with my former employers issues.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Good for you man! I retired when I was 30 and now I am busier than I ever was. Of course I made the mistake of buying a business for my wife to run and then she left and I was left with a business to run. Keep active and productive, the transition is a shock for a lot of people.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Happy Retirement to you. I retired just over a year ago and have gone back to work part time just to stay busy, but it's a lot better when you don't have to go to work.

See ya on the range hopefully.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Congradulations!

I wake up every morning wishing I could do that same. Of course, at 26 my only way to do it is to marry rich, so something tells me its going to be more working for me :D

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    Congrats. I retired last January. The above posters are right - takes 6 to 9 months to "realize" it's OK to not have to do anything today. But I am busier now than I ever was working. I became debt-free about a month ago and that's a great place to be in retirement. I too have gone back to working part time, but I was very selective in what I was willing to do. I had to have control over my time so I can go do the fun stuff whenever I want to. On the other hand, it is great to feel needed and I enjoy the comraderie of coworkers.

Take your time; savor the freedom and be brutally honest with what are your priorities now that you have the freedom to enjoy exactly what is important to YOU!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Grant County
    Congrats. I retired last January. The above posters are right - takes 6 to 9 months to "realize" it's OK to not have to do anything today. But I am busier now than I ever was working. I became debt-free about a month ago and that's a great place to be in retirement. I too have gone back to working part time, but I was very selective in what I was willing to do. I had to have control over my time so I can go do the fun stuff whenever I want to. On the other hand, it is great to feel needed and I enjoy the comraderie of coworkers.

Take your time; savor the freedom and be brutally honest with what are your priorities now that you have the freedom to enjoy exactly what is important to YOU!

Brother, truer words have never been spoken. You will do well to heed the above.:yesway:

Top Bottom