I'm shocked to say this, but bravo FWPD.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    I had a situation occur in early February where I was out with friends while CC'ing and it became necessary for me to pull my firearm. That's all the detail I'll give on the actual event because I just got done watching a 48min video on why you should never talk to the Police and fear I may have already said too much. Anyhow, LEO's were on the scene immediately and after reviewing all statements and video tape deemed that I had acted in self defense within my right and that I was free to go. They did however sieze my firearm and stated that I could pick it up Monday at the station, event occured on a Saturday night, and I said that was no problem, i.e. I have more guns at home.

Finally, after 4 months of communication with the property officer, after ballistics were ran and property trace came back that it was indeed mine, my favorite gun is back home. All in all, not the best experience but here is what I'm congratulating them on. After getting home from the station after picking up my gun I was shocked to also find every round of ammo in the box with my gun which was still in perfect condition.

So, Thank You FWPD, for taking excellent care of my firearm(albiet for a ridiculously long amount of time) and returning it with holster and all my ammo, and for recognizing that even though I had a gun in my hand I was only acting in defense, and for not shooting me. :rockwoot:

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    Yeah I am not really understanding running your gun through the wringer. You hadn't committed a crime they cleared you and told you to go home so why did they keep the gun. Also, if you came here to congratulate them on good behavior why not a simple attaboy instead of talking about keeping your gun for an extended period of time.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Did they clean it for you too after performing a ballistic test? :D

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    Yeah I am not really understanding running your gun through the wringer. You hadn't committed a crime they cleared you and told you to go home so why did they keep the gun. Also, if you came here to congratulate them on good behavior why not a simple attaboy instead of talking about keeping your gun for an extended period of time.

Couldn't ever get an answer as to why they kept it and treated it like they would evidence but I've learned that LEO's don't take kindly to being interrogated so I never pushed it too far.

As for the second point, I geuss I'm not good at giving compliments.:dunno:

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Must have been one heck of an "altercation" for you to have your weapon confiscated and ballistics run on it. Are you sure this wasn't some super nice handgun that got passed around at the FWPD range for four months? That is if they still do that. Er, I mean if they ever did that sort of thing.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I would bet that it took so long because they had to send it off for ballistics. Do you know if FWPD does that type of thing in-house? If not, and it was sent somewhere, obviously it went to the "back of the line" while other weapons were tested.

Keep in mind guys, most PDs don't come close to CIS where some hot chick, in heels, is the back of the PD testing guns for ballistics.... and trust me, I wish there were.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Anyhow, LEO's were on the scene immediately and after reviewing all statements and video tape deemed that I had acted in self defense within my right and that I was free to go.

Why did they take your firearm then?

Did you tell them you wanted it back now, and if they didn't return it you would file theft charges?

If not why?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thank you, may I have another?
    You are right, I should not have directed that at the OP [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE]. I cannot say without an armchair quarterback disclaimer that I would have done anything any more heroic than the OP [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] did. (no sarcasm intended, I mean that) I would like to think I would not have felt it was a positive experience, though, to have my property kept from me for 4 months after being told it was not part of a crime.

Edit: Dooogh! I did it again. I read my above reply and it again sounded like I was all but attacking the OP [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE]...not my intention.:ingo:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    Why did they take your firearm then?

Did you tell them you wanted it back now, and if they didn't return it you would file theft charges?

If not why?

First question IDK, like I said they never gave me a reason.
    Second and third question, because when it's five to one and you're the only guy without a badge, handcuffs, and by this point a gun you just want be out of the whole situation. I don't know how much interaction you've had with police in your life but I've found the less you argue with them the better your chances of sleeping at home that night. This was the first time and thankfully so far the only time I've had to pull my firearm so it's not something I had rehearsed in my head over and over again. Furthermore it's really easy to be uber confident while sitting at a computer screen, it's a whole other thing to have just went through an unsettling experience like defending your life or personal safety.

This is alot like asking a victim why they didn't get a good look at their assailant while he was pointing a gun in said victims face. Until it happens to you, you have no idea of how you will react to it.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    To everyone asking about time line issues, it is my understanding that FWPD does do their ballistics locally and that was done within weeks. The bulk of the time was waiting on possesion trace, I bought the gun used but never fired(original owner bought it, wife said it's me or the gun, he for some reason took the gun back to store), also the ownership of the store had changed hands and sale records were difficult to locate. That's the story anyhow.

To everyone thinking I'm foolish for thanking them read my OP again, I'm in no way thanking them for the inconvenience, terribly long turn around time, or taking my firearm in the first place. I was simply pleasantly suprised that they returned my ammo and that they didn't do anything malicous to my gun, that's it. I've come to expect very little from the law, so yes as all this may seem very wrong, it did exceed my expectations in some ways and that is all I was expressing.

Hopefully I've cleared up some of the confusion, and if any of you think you're going to get all high and mighty with LEO's after you've just pulled your pistol in a public place then more power to you. Just make sure to let us know how that goes for you after someone bails you out of county.:draw:

Top Bottom