I'm starting to understand why they thought flies came from spoiled meat...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ...or "butter tub lids dont close as tight as you think"

So on the way out the door for vacation, I realized I hadnt taken the coffee grounds to the composter. I wasnt sure how long it would take them to mold, so I put them outside the back door just in case. I'd take them out when I got back.

Fast forward to today. I grabbed the tub after making coffee and found tiny grub-like worms crawling around, along with tiny brown eggs. Ewww.

I killed them all since I dont need more flies, and took the tub inside. When I opened the lid, more worms crawling around inside the coffee grounds, and more eggs stuck to the inside walls. I just washed them down the disposal and washed out the tub really well. I didnt need more vermin from that either.

So apparently what appeared to be a sealed container, wasnt. I didnt think a fly sized bug could get through that opening. I guess I have some pretty determined flies. (or some other equally determined small flying insect)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    ...or "butter tub lids dont close as tight as you think"

So on the way out the door for vacation, I realized I hadnt taken the coffee grounds to the composter. I wasnt sure how long it would take them to mold, so I put them outside the back door just in case. I'd take them out when I got back.

Fast forward to today. I grabbed the tub after making coffee and found tiny grub-like worms crawling around, along with tiny brown eggs. Ewww.

I killed them all since I dont need more flies, and took the tub inside. When I opened the lid, more worms crawling around inside the coffee grounds, and more eggs stuck to the inside walls. I just washed them down the disposal and washed out the tub really well. I didnt need more vermin from that either.

So apparently what appeared to be a sealed container, wasnt. I didnt think a fly sized bug could get through that opening. I guess I have some pretty determined flies. (or some other equally determined small flying insect)
    Or... their eggs were already in your coffee and the brewing process didn't kill them. So they could've been Super Flies!

1691966102813.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    My place has pretty shabby air conditioning, so it's open and ventilated with fans most of the time. The rate at which flies accumulate if I don't stay on top of cleaning and disposing of trash is... impressive. Sometimes it seems like it happens within hours.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My place has pretty shabby air conditioning, so it's open and ventilated with fans most of the time. The rate at which flies accumulate if I don't stay on top of cleaning and disposing of trash is... impressive. Sometimes it seems like it happens within hours.
    The normal house fly has a total lifespan of something like 28 days, so...

Top Bottom