I'm thinking of buying this AK ... Any reasons why I might not want to?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Here is a pic of what is for sale:
    http://www.slickguns.com/sites/default/files/Rom-BPS-SP2-copy.jpg

The gun is described as a "Romanian AK BPS"
    and Here is What You Get with it:

1 - Romanian Wasr 10 Hi Cap AK Rifle W/ built in Scope Rail....Std Price...$499.99
    1 - 40" Bulldog Brand Tactical Carry Case W/4 Mag Pockets , Etc..Std Price..$34.99
    4 - Tapco Brand U.S. Made 30 Round AK Mags...Std Price $9.99 ea..=.. Total..$39.96
    1 - Romanian Saw Tooth Back Wire Cutter Bayonet W/ Sheath .. Std Price...$17.99
    1 - Padded Nylon Fully Adjustable Endura Sling By Allen Mfg, ...Std Price....$9.99
    1 - Pair Nylon Earplugs in Keychain Carry Case by Allen Mfg...Std Price....$4.99
    1- Pair Polycarbonate Shooters Glasses by Allen Mfg- Ansi Rated...Std Price...$7.99
    1 - Original Military Belt Type Mag Pouch, ( Styles May Vary ) ... Value....$9.99
    1 - AK Rifle Recoil Buffer ( Not Pictured ) oops, Forgot to put it in. Std Price.. $9.99
    Total Cost if Purchased Seperately = .....$635.88
    All for only $499.99
    You Save Over $135.00

I'm new to Russian rifles, but everyone tells me that they are the way to go in a SHTF situation. This SEEMS like a good deal for only $499 + s/h but I would like to hear from you AK gurus out there. Is this a good model or should I go find a different one? Keep in mind I don't want to spend more than $600 on an AK due to budget constraints.

Thanks in advance to the gurus :bowdown:

HP

Bahrutile

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2012
    I think that's a good package price, have to add in shipping and ffl fees, but shouldn't be to bad

msr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 25, 2011
    Indianapolis - Broad Ripple
    The problem with WASRs is that they're hit or miss in terms of quality, and without being able to see it before purchasing, you're going to be taking a risk that you might get a bad one. That being said, most of the problems with them can be fixed easily enough, but if it were me, I'd wait and find one that you can check over yourself, and add the bag and goodies on individually. And since the mags they ship with it are cheapo tapco mags, you can bulk order them for $5.50 apiece from CTD.

Edit: in terms of SHTF, I don't think you'll find a better platform than the AK, IMO. I have a non-WASR Romanian AK and I love the thing. Don't forget to pile up the ammo! Mine loves the $5 Tulammo from wally world.

Last edited:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I keep hearing about spotty quality control, especially in Century Arms International AKMs, but I've bought two that were just fine. If you were to travel to the Indy1500 next weekend, you'd probably find an AK for that price, but the case, safety glasses and earplugs aren't a standard "package" offering and you'll seldom get 4 magazines from a retailer. Might be worth the shipping and FFL transfer fees.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Reasons for Not Buying an AK (short list):

-You owe child support
    -Rent is Due
    -Car Payment
    -You owe your parents money
    -It's you wife/GF's birthday
    -You owe taxes
    -You have 5 AKs already
    -You owe the paperboy $2 (anyone get the ref?)
    -You have no fingers, and aren't so good with your toes
    -You are on the verge of starvation

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To MSR ...

The problem with WASRs is that they're hit or miss in terms of quality, and without being able to see it before purchasing, you're going to be taking a risk that you might get a bad one. That being said, most of the problems with them can be fixed easily enough, but if it were me, I'd wait and find one that you can check over yourself, and add the bag and goodies on individually. And since the mags they ship with it are cheapo tapco mags, you can bulk order them for $5.50 apiece from CTD.

Edit: in terms of SHTF, I don't think you'll find a better platform than the AK, IMO. I have a non-WASR Romanian AK and I love the thing. Don't forget to pile up the ammo! Mine loves the $5 Tulammo from wally world.

I'm such a Noob at this, :n00b: how do I know a "good" non-WASR Romanian AK from a bad one, and compared to other AKs, where does the Romanian made ones rank (near the top, near the bottom, in the middle)? Who makes the best AKs for the money (no more than $600)?

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Very Funny!

Reasons for Not Buying an AK (short list):

-You owe child support
    -Rent is Due
    -Car Payment
    -You owe your parents money
    -It's you wife/GF's birthday
    -You owe taxes
    -You have 5 AKs already
    -You owe the paperboy $2 (anyone get the ref?)
    -You have no fingers, and aren't so good with your toes
    -You are on the verge of starvation

Kutnupe14

You make a very persuasive argument to buy this AK (simply because it is an AK) but I'm wondering, should I find a slightly "better" AK and buy these "special offer" goodies myself? I already have ear/eye protection (for example) and as was mentioned elsewhere I can get cheap mags for it elsewhere. What are your thoughts?

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Honestly I think you can get a better deal. Get on armslist and find one for around the 400-500 range that you can feel and check out in person. I have owned 3 WASRs10 and they have always been great.

Mags are 10$ everywhere on the internet. I think the "deal" is a bit overpriced. Find one and give it a good once over and you should be fine

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The classifieds on here has a sweet Vector for sale or you could hold out and save a few more dollars and pickup a Arsenal. Better to buy good now and be done with it.

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To: Straight-Shooter

The classifieds on here has a sweet Vector for sale or you could hold out and save a few more dollars and pickup a Arsenal. Better to buy good now and be done with it.

Yeah, it would be nice to have access to the classifieds here but I'm too much of a noob to be able to do that. I've had to pass two criminal background checks to do what I do for a living, I have a graduate degree, I provide consulting services to state and federal entities ... but I can't buy (or sell) a frick-n gun here because I have posted enough posts.

What a bunch of :bs:

Who knows how many sweet guns will come and go before I get 50 "quality" posts in. :ugh:

HP

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah, it would be nice to have access to the classifieds here but I'm too much of a noob to be able to do that. I've had to pass two criminal background checks to do what I do for a living, I have a graduate degree, I provide consulting services to state and federal entities ... but I can't buy (or sell) a frick-n gun here because I have posted enough posts.

What a bunch of :bs:

Who knows how many sweet guns will come and go before I get 50 "quality" posts in. :ugh:

HP

Not to get off-topic, but since you whined about it: If you dig around a bit, you can get your 50 quality posts in just a couple of days. Just chime in and lend your experience or (informed) opinion on a couple of threads (gun related or not)

Re: the AK, the Century AKs I have had have always worked, but the QC definitely felt spotty. For a pure range blaster and fun-gun their price is attractive, but once you through in SHTF or similar thoughts I would tend to look at other lines. Just my :twocents:, though.

Also, the "package" feels like an excuse for charging new gun money for a used gun. Adding in shipping and FFL fees pretty much eats up any potential savings you are getting as it is. I know Dunham's had the WASR-10 for $450 new a couple of weeks ago, so the price is really not that great.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Not to get off-topic, but since you whined about it: If you dig around a bit, you can get your 50 quality posts in just a couple of days. Just chime in and lend your experience or (informed) opinion on a couple of threads (gun related or not)

Re: the AK, the Century AKs I have had have always worked, but the QC definitely felt spotty. For a pure range blaster and fun-gun their price is attractive, but once you through in SHTF or similar thoughts I would tend to look at other lines. Just my :twocents:, though.

Also, the "package" feels like an excuse for charging new gun money for a used gun. Adding in shipping and FFL fees pretty much eats up any potential savings you are getting as it is. I know Dunham's had the WASR-10 for $450 new a couple of weeks ago, so the price is really not that great.

I seriously thought it was $429

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    decent package price , but if you already have those items (i do , so i wouldn't consider it a bonus per-se , ..... plus shipping , fees etc ..... i would consider a more local sale where you can feel it , check sites and mag wobble etc ..... heck $499 is almost any WASR i've seen lately

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    That deal is way over valued. Most of the stuff listed, especially the Allen, and surplus stuff is near useless and listed at least double what I see commonly priced at what are normally overpriced gunstores.

Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    What are some better "lines" of AKs?

Quoting an earlier post:

"Re: the AK, the Century AKs I have had have always worked, but the QC definitely felt spotty. For a pure range blaster and fun-gun their price is attractive, but once you through in SHTF or similar thoughts I would tend to look at other lines. Just my , though."

What line(s) would you guys recommend? :dunno:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    As you know I don't really care for the AK. But my guess would be that the other line would be a saiga. Then convert it to its original form and use big mags without getting into 922r trouble.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Quoting an earlier post:

"Re: the AK, the Century AKs I have had have always worked, but the QC definitely felt spotty. For a pure range blaster and fun-gun their price is attractive, but once you through in SHTF or similar thoughts I would tend to look at other lines. Just my , though."

What line(s) would you guys recommend? :dunno:

Saiga and Arsenal both seem to have pretty good reputations for AKs and the few I have handled have felt like well broken-in machines (particularly compared to the than the "slapped-together-from-parts-lying-around-the-farmhouse" feel I got from my Century rifles.)

The beauty of the AK design, however, is that even the slapped-together parts builds will normally end up working just fine.

Frontier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Plenty have already said it, but here's another: that's a negative, ghostrider.

AK's have quite a reputation. Unfortunately, that has given leeway for poor designs of the platform to make their way to market. Simply because they look like an AK doesn't make them worthy of the reputation. There is a difference in build quality. AK is a fantastic design, but like every other gun, it's subject to poor craftsmanship. WASR's are simply not worth much of anything at all. Sure, you might get lucky and get a good one, but why take that gamble at all? I like to know exactly what I'm getting myself into. Spend a little more on a quality 47 or 74, you'll be saving in the long run on surplus ammo anyways. Arsenal makes some great AK's for the price point. Spend a little more on something that is quality, you will not regret it, I promise.

Top Bottom