• ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I stopped in there a couple days ago. Gun bunker's range is said to be down all week (I guess they meant it's open next Mon?). Unless they've upgraded their air filtration system I'm not going back. I don't need to breath any more powdered lead. Indy Arms is better, so is Point Blank.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    When I was young and had no place to shoot, back in 2009ish when I first joined INGO I traded for an SKS. Drove an hour to New Castle Wilbur Wright. Didn’t bring my mag. Always a bummer when you are ready to go!

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I turn 60 this year and counting the years before my removal from the workforce. Keep busy and stay social.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I stopped in there a couple days ago. Gun bunker's range is said to be down all week (I guess they meant it's open next Mon?). Unless they've upgraded their air filtration system I'm not going back. I don't need to breath any more powdered lead. Indy Arms is better, so is Point Blank.

1. You bring up a point of concern I have thought about, and wondered if everyone should be wearing at least a small mask to protect their lungs because of the ingestion of lead if a person is going to be doing alot of shooting indoors.
    2. Below is a quote from an article:
    "However, decades of evidence indicate that substantial health risks are incurred by the shooters themselves in the form of lead exposure and subsequent poisoning. Indeed, as pointed out as early as 1994 by Ozonoff, based on high blood lead levels (BLLs) of shooters."
    Another quote:
    "But one risk has been little acknowledged: Lead dust exposure."
    "If a gun range isn't ventilated well, lead dust collects on shooters' clothing and hands and lingers in the air, where it can be inhaled. The more people shoot, the greater the risk of being exposed to dangerous amounts of lead."

3. I've not heard anyone speak of such things, but you bringing up the air filtration pumps up my paranoia to the forefront.
    It seems that a range that had proper advanced filtration would use it as a selling point, a bragging right to put themselves above the competition.

4. I did check on Indy Arms: about 30 minutes from my house, with Point Blank being a few minutes less depending if you are going after work, which is what I did when I had a membership there, and 465 can get clogged up getting to or from the range.
    5. I loved Indy Gun Bunker being only 9 minutes from my house: so convenient, but, if they don't have proper equipment (as you suspect after being there), it is not worth undoing a life of healthy living.
    I'm already nearly a year at that range now, my 1st year being at Point Blank in Carmel and Greenwood, with a few months at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield before I discovered the joys of a yearly membership vs paying each time one went to the range.
    6. But, how does a person ask the right questions about air filtration or even know if what you are being told is the truth at any particular range?
    7. Thanks for the heads up, though!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I turn 60 this year and counting the years before my removal from the workforce. Keep busy and stay social.

1. Thanks, I'm very excited about it.
    2. When I was 60, I planned to work another 10 yrs.
    3. Once I got my medical covered (Medicare), the wheels in my mind started to swirl, and thoughts of, "Why am I here?" started to circulate.
    4. I would not go into teaching with the culture being what it is now, but then, I started out in a small town in a lightly populated state (which shall remain nameless, ha!)
    5. Friends who knew me well wondered how I avoided being fired b/c I tolerated nothing when younger: my classroom was my kingdom and I was the ruler.
    6. That changed over the decades. As the old expression goes: I had 10 commandments, now I have 10 suggestions. :laugh:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I am working on a 1941 Colt/Ithaca 1911A1. Have it a quick safety check and stepped out on the back porch. Emptied the mag with full satisfaction and back to the bench for full tear down and cleanup. It is nice living in the country.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am working on a 1941 Colt/Ithaca 1911A1. Have it a quick safety check and stepped out on the back porch. Emptied the mag with full satisfaction and back to the bench for full tear down and cleanup. It is nice living in the country.

1. I had that situation when 20 yrs. old and just married living in AR.
    2. I had to make sure there weren't any cows running around in the field next to me, but were on the other side of the field. :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thats the old Pops Guns. Dont go there. Extra time to drive to a better facility is worth it. :twocents:

1. Yes, I used to deal there in its old location (on Mitthoeffer, I think) back in the late 80s/early 90s before I sold nearly everything: life got busy working 80+ hours/week.
    2. I took the earlier warning very seriously and spent time researching Indy Arms (been there once with a member) 30 minutes away, and Point Blank (was a member in Carmel and after moving, in Greenwood) before I discovered the $150/yr. / $13/mo. w/tax membership (instead of $420/yr. / $35/mo.) that was sooo close to my house.
    3. The owner's son recognized my bald head after not seeing me for nearly 30 yrs.!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    1. You bring up a point of concern I have thought about, and wondered if everyone should be wearing at least a small mask to protect their lungs because of the ingestion of lead if a person is going to be doing alot of shooting indoors.
    2. Below is a quote from an article:
    "However, decades of evidence indicate that substantial health risks are incurred by the shooters themselves in the form of lead exposure and subsequent poisoning. Indeed, as pointed out as early as 1994 by Ozonoff, based on high blood lead levels (BLLs) of shooters."
    Another quote:
    "But one risk has been little acknowledged: Lead dust exposure."
    "If a gun range isn't ventilated well, lead dust collects on shooters' clothing and hands and lingers in the air, where it can be inhaled. The more people shoot, the greater the risk of being exposed to dangerous amounts of lead."

3. I've not heard anyone speak of such things, but you bringing up the air filtration pumps up my paranoia to the forefront.
    It seems that a range that had proper advanced filtration would use it as a selling point, a bragging right to put themselves above the competition.

4. I did check on Indy Arms: about 30 minutes from my house, with Point Blank being a few minutes less depending if you are going after work, which is what I did when I had a membership there, and 465 can get clogged up getting to or from the range.
    5. I loved Indy Gun Bunker being only 9 minutes from my house: so convenient, but, if they don't have proper equipment (as you suspect after being there), it is not worth undoing a life of healthy living.
    I'm already nearly a year at that range now, my 1st year being at Point Blank in Carmel and Greenwood, with a few months at Tim's Shooting Academy in Westfield before I discovered the joys of a yearly membership vs paying each time one went to the range.
    6. But, how does a person ask the right questions about air filtration or even know if what you are being told is the truth at any particular range?
    7. Thanks for the heads up, though!
    Might be worth considering getting serious with your guns and join an outdoor club?

Jim McKalip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Cumberland
    He's not the owner's son, he's the former owner's son and he is the current owner. He has been for several years. The range and the
    showroom are in the midst of major upgrades. Forget all of the complaints aboit "Pop Guns". It's completely different now and is constantly improving. The only compaint might be that they don't give guns away for half price and they do charge sales tax.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    He's not the owner's son, he's the former owner's son and he is the current owner. He has been for several years. The range and the
    showroom are in the midst of major upgrades. Forget all of the complaints aboit "Pop Guns". It's completely different now and is constantly improving. The only compaint might be that they don't give guns away for half price and they do charge sales tax.

1. Hey my friend! :thumbsup:
    2. Careful about over-posting, you break 300 posts this year if you don't slow down! :rofl:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I wasn't disappointed I got a few free rounds of .380.
    Is the range fixed and open now?
    I plan to go shoot next week sometime.
    I too am a member, it's on my way home off 465 N.

When I go in, if they have a place for me I take my target, do my thing, police up after myself, and go home.

Like fast food everybody has their favorite.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I wasn't disappointed I got a few free rounds of .380.
    Is the range fixed and open now?
    I plan to go shoot next week sometime.
    I too am a member, it's on my way home off 465 N.
    When I go in, if they have a place for me I take my target, do my thing, police up after myself, and go home.
    Like fast food everybody has their favorite.

1. It was up and running last Saturday, but they didn't have everything done yet they wanted to do and 1 lane was down.
    2. It was great someone I knew got the free rounds. Sorry I couldn't find the 4-5 Colt .45 rounds that are hidden somewhere (I might have already given them away to someone I shot with and don't even remember. :fogey:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    When I said I wasn't going back it only meant to shoot. I bought some offset 45* sights there. Pricing was competitive. The showroom is getting a bump up in size which is good. If i hear that the range air scrubbers are doing a good job I'll reconsider some range time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    When I said I wasn't going back it only meant to shoot. I bought some offset 45* sights there. Pricing was competitive. The showroom is getting a bump up in size which is good. If i hear that the range air scrubbers are doing a good job I'll reconsider some range time.

1. I asked one of the younger guys there what he knew about their air scrubber system there, and he didn't know and I told him I guess there was nothing to brag about or he'd know.:laugh:

Top Bottom