• ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    IC 35-33-1-1.5
    Crime involving domestic or family violence; duties of law enforcement officers; confiscation of firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon
    Sec. 1.5. (a) A law enforcement officer responding to the scene of an alleged crime involving domestic or family violence shall use all reasonable means to prevent further violence, including the following:
    (1) Transporting or obtaining transportation for the alleged victim and each child to a designated safe place to meet with a domestic violence counselor, local family member, or friend.
    (2) Assisting the alleged victim in removing toiletries, medication, and necessary clothing.
    (3) Giving the alleged victim immediate and written notice of the rights under IC 35-40.
    (b) A law enforcement officer may confiscate and remove a firearm, ammunition, or a deadly weapon from the scene if the law enforcement officer has:
    (1) probable cause to believe that a crime involving domestic or family violence has occurred;
    (2) a reasonable belief that the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon:
    (A) exposes the victim to an immediate risk of serious bodily injury; or
    (B) was an instrumentality of the crime involving domestic or family violence; and
    (3) observed the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon at the scene during the response.
    (c) If a firearm, ammunition, or a deadly weapon is removed from the scene under subsection (b), the law enforcement officer shall provide for the safe storage of the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon during the pendency of a proceeding related to the alleged act of domestic or family violence.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Gonna keep an eye on this :popcorn:

Lesson ? Dont have domestic disputes !
    If it is that bad just walk away, or in this case X-wife=get the hell out of my house would have been a good start

And I have an x and I havent seen her in 22 yrs, its not that hard

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    The officer must have "(3) observed the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon at the scene during the response."

Did the guy have 9 firearms laying around...or were they taken from his safe? I would bet the latter in which case the guy should win.

There is more than one variable in that statute.

........if the law enforcement officer has:
    a reasonable belief that the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon:
    (A) exposes the victim to an immediate risk of serious bodily injury;

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Hmmm, if I were an officer...

Nearest payphone or clone a cell phone...

Anonymous tip of Child Abuse, Domestic violence at 123 Mockingbird Lane.

Bring un-certified K9 unit along with SWAT. Toss in some flashbangs, point own gun at small children.

Confiscate firearms and arrest them all for unregistered ammo (oops, that's DC, my bad).

Apologize for attack, keep firearms and ammo for range practice for the next several months. Be sure to etch my initials into firearms in visible places.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The officer must have "(3) observed the firearm, ammunition, or deadly weapon at the scene during the response."

Did the guy have 9 firearms laying around...or were they taken from his safe? I would bet the latter in which case the guy should win.

You added "must have", which is not written in the law. Cases 1 or 2 may apply, and only one of the three are required for a weapon to be confiscated.

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    You added "must have", which is not written in the law. Cases 1 or 2 may apply, and only one of the three are required for a weapon to be confiscated.

I don't think he meant "must have" as in it's a requirement. More an explanation that the third was the most likely condition.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    He's probably NOT making it up. As we all know the news only reports the truth and is diligent in reporting both sides. Someone should be fired over this and they should give him 1 million from their pensions... By the way i hear after 6 long dedicated years on the job he realized he had too much integrity to stay. I'm wondering which one of the runs to his house this happened on. Maybe it was the "shots fired" run to his house? I doubt it though. Did i mention he quit, which was purely his idea, because he had too much integrity?... the man just can't tell a lie...with all that integrity coursing through his veins.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    He's probably NOT making it up. As we all know the news only reports the truth and is diligent in reporting both sides. Someone should be fired over this and they should give him 1 million from their pensions... By the way i hear after 6 long dedicated years on the job he realized he had too much integrity to stay. I'm wondering which one of the runs to his house this happened on. Maybe it was the "shots fired" run to his house? I doubt it though. Did i mention he quit, which was purely his idea, because he had too much integrity?... the man just can't tell a lie...with all that integrity coursing through his veins.

How does one become fired and otherwise penalized for, at least of the surface, following a law regarding their authority?

Do you have any information that is not in the news report?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Seems like not too long ago I posed a question to an officer about IMPD releasing personal firearms from their property room (or impound, or whatever it's called.) I was under the impression, from reading INGO posts, that it was quite a job to get your firearm back and it's never timely. :dunno:

I'll ask again. What is the procedure to get back your gun(s) from IMPD and how long does it take?

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Seems like not too long ago I posed a question to an officer about IMPD releasing personal firearms from their property room (or impound, or whatever it's called.) I was under the impression, from reading INGO posts, that it was quite a job to get your firearm back and it's never timely. :dunno:

I'll ask again. What is the procedure to get back your gun(s) from IMPD and how long does it take?

IMPD: Firearms Releases

Also see: http://www.ciyoudixonlaw.com/firearms-law/returning-firearms-seized-by-law-enforcement-following-disposition-of-a-criminal-case/

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Thanks Ted, you are a wealth of information. Now why do I have to wait two to three weeks? Are these firm numbers or are they longer as I have heard?

Firearms Release
    50 N. Alabama St., E100A
    Enter via Market Street or Washington Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317) 327-3474

If you have a firearm in the IMPD Property Room and would like to have it released, you must appear in person to Suite E100 of Police Headquarters at 50 North Alabama Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204, phone (317) 327-3430, to start the process for release. The office is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. This process can take two to three weeks depending on the incident.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Thanks Ted, you are a wealth of information. Now why do I have to wait two to three weeks? Are these firm numbers or are they longer as I have heard?

Firearms Release
    50 N. Alabama St., E100A
    Enter via Market Street or Washington Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46204
    (317) 327-3474

If you have a firearm in the IMPD Property Room and would like to have it released, you must appear in person to Suite E100 of Police Headquarters at 50 North Alabama Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204, phone (317) 327-3430, to start the process for release. The office is open Monday through Friday (excluding holidays) from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm. This process can take two to three weeks depending on the incident.

Personal accounts posted on INGO suggest it is longer, AND they require you to submit to a fingerprint check.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    How does one become fired and otherwise penalized for, at least of the surface, following a law regarding their authority?

Do you have any information that is not in the news report?

I couldn't find a color purple bright enough to convey my sarcasm.

Top Bottom