• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    After the lawyers take theirs how much is actually left. Not agreeing with this at all but I am sure they will blow through that pretty fast.

Most likely they will. Instead of contacting a finical advisor, they will most likely p*ss it away on items that deprecate instead of investments.

That is what ignorant people do with a large "windfall" of cash.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think taxes will be another quarter of what's left over after the lawyers get paid. Don't know if settlements are taxed like capital gains.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Since the family's previous statements place total blame on police, I assume this part of their statement must have been required as part of the settlement. Recognizing Mr. Bailey's actions were at least partly responsible for his own death is a step in the right direction.

The family of Aaron Bailey recognizes that successful de-escalation in police encounters requires cooperation of both officers and civilians.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I think taxes will be another quarter of what's left over after the lawyers get paid. Don't know if settlements are taxed like capital gains.

It depends on the type of settlement. Punitive damages can be taxed, but damages that are to "make you whole" are not, IIRC.

From IRS bulletin:

Claims for wrongful death usually encompass compensatory damages for physical and mentalinjury, as well as punitive damages for reckless, malicious, or reprehensible conduct. As a result,both claims may generate settlement amounts. Any amounts determined to be compensatory forthe personal physical injuries are excludable from gross income under IRC § 104(a)(2). Anyamounts determined to be punitive are not excludable under IRC § 104(a)(2). This is trueregardless of whether the punitive amounts are received prior or subsequent to the August 20,1996, amendment. See O’Gilvie v. United States, 519 U.S. 79 (1996).

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    In post #1 I wrote: So, is this about to go full political? Nothing good happens after midnight. In bold below is my emphasis, maybe Mayor Stinky Shoes should think about that.

No charges for IMPD officers as Justice Department closes review into Aaron Bailey shooting

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– The U.S. Justice Department announced the closure of their review into the 2017 deadly shooting of Aaron Bailey by Indianapolis police. U.S. Attorney Josh J. Minkler announced the department found “insufficient evidence to support federal criminal civil rights charges against the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers involved in the shooting.”

Prosecutors determined there was insufficient evidence to prove any violation of the civil rights statute. Such evidence would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officers used force that was objectively unreasonable. It would also need to prove the officers acted willfully, meaning they knew the actions were unlawful.

“Moreover, the law requires that this determination allow for the fact that law enforcement officers are often forced to make split-second judgments in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving, and also requires that an officer’s force be judged without the benefit and added perspective of hindsight,” the Justice Department said in a release.

The Justice Department says the case has been closed with no further prosecution.

https://fox59.com/2019/04/12/no-cha...ent-closes-review-into-aaron-bailey-shooting/

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    In post #1 I wrote: So, is this about to go full political? Nothing good happens after midnight. In bold below is my emphasis, maybe Mayor Stinky Shoes should think about that.

No charges for IMPD officers as Justice Department closes review into Aaron Bailey shooting

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind.– The U.S. Justice Department announced the closure of their review into the 2017 deadly shooting of Aaron Bailey by Indianapolis police. U.S. Attorney Josh J. Minkler announced the department found “insufficient evidence to support federal criminal civil rights charges against the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officers involved in the shooting.”

Prosecutors determined there was insufficient evidence to prove any violation of the civil rights statute. Such evidence would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the officers used force that was objectively unreasonable. It would also need to prove the officers acted willfully, meaning they knew the actions were unlawful.

“Moreover, the law requires that this determination allow for the fact that law enforcement officers are often forced to make split-second judgments in circumstances that are tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving, and also requires that an officer’s force be judged without the benefit and added perspective of hindsight,” the Justice Department said in a release.

The Justice Department says the case has been closed with no further prosecution.

https://fox59.com/2019/04/12/no-cha...ent-closes-review-into-aaron-bailey-shooting/

Awesome!

Top Bottom