• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I am "at large" firearms instructor (I'm a beat car) and not out there full time. We are VERY safe during range training but we are not immune to "brain farts". This officer is a good guy, he's bright and a hard worker, I am sure he is beating himself up quite well.
    Denny,

Of curiousity, does IMPD teach to clear a shotgun magazine by racking the slide or by half-opening the action and depressing the shell-stops?

I was taught to clear the chamber and then depress the shell stops precisely because of potential slamfires and was under the impression that most all LE agencies were teaching that as well.

Then again, as it was apparently a model he was unfamiliar with, I can see being unable to figure out how to perform that method on it.

BTW, I fully expect to see marketing of the "Freeman Commemorative Portable Personal Sand Barrel" (pat. pending) coming out of this story. Perhaps the tagline could be "Because you can't put a price on a jug O urine"???.....:D

Best,

Joe

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    A discharge like that could happen to any of us. I've had mine.

No disrespect to the officer, like others have said he is gonna take a beating from his fellow officers over it. My comment was more about how the story was written.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    A discharge like that could happen to any of us. I've had mine.

I'm not sure why everyone who has had a ND feels the need to say this. Sure, it "could" happen, but don't be negligent and it won't.

And with this specific situation, no, it couldn't happen to me. I won't be getting drunk and calling the cops on my offspring so an officer that doesn't know how to handle firearms can poke his nose where it doesn't belong and shoot a hole in my floor.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Denny,

Of curiousity, does IMPD teach to clear a shotgun magazine by racking the slide or by half-opening the action and depressing the shell-stops?
    Open the action slowly to catch the ejecting live shell but not too much that you load a fresh round. Then you depress the shell stops for the shells left in the tube.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    He stated that he unloaded the 2 in the tube and accidentally dropped it on it's muzzle when it discharged. I can slam fire my dept 870, that is why we are not allowed to keep one in the chamber when stored in car.

Unpossible. I don't know if you know anything about guns, but I read this gun espurt forum called INGO and INGO sez that guns never go bang unless your finger is on the trigger.:laugh:

But then there is that 870 at Shootrite.:D

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Open the action slowly to catch the ejecting live shell but not too much that you load a fresh round. Then you depress the shell stops for the shells left in the tube.

Funny, thats how I've done it since a kid, and no one ever taught or showed me, just common sense. The officer should of done this, be more worried about a live round in the pipe before being concerned with 2 in the tube. Espicially if you have slippery hands.......if somehow I had not done what I always had and somehow managed to shoot a hole in someones floor I know I would be the first to offer to pay for damages.....because when I took possesion of the firearm ALL responibility is on me......not saying the LEO in this case isn't doing that....just what I would do.....the right thing.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    I know the landlord and no he is not happy.

He's called the station several times about getting this fixed and they are basically telling him to **** off (ie, "here, talk to this person. OK, here, now talk to this person.")

Understandably the landlord is upset about the situation, but out of curiosity, what is the landlord trying to get the station to fix? The hole in his floor? Perhaps he should talk to his tenant about that.

I didnt' see anything inflamitory or otherwise stated toward the landlord.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Understandably the landlord is upset about the situation, but out of curiosity, what is the landlord trying to get the station to fix? The hole in his floor? Perhaps he should talk to his tenant about that.

I didnt' see anything inflamitory or otherwise stated toward the landlord.

Well, he doesn't want the tenant there anymore either (I guess he's not a fan of people bottling and storing their urine), but why should the tenant be responsible for what the idiot officer did?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Well, he doesn't want the tenant there anymore either (I guess he's not a fan of people bottling and storing their urine), but why should the tenant be responsible for what the idiot officer did?

He shouldn't to a point (the officer is not an idiot) but the tenant had been in there shooting up the place with his pistol prior to officer's arrival. Officers ended up dragging him to the psych ward a few hours later because his continued threats to shoot/kill his daughter. Every landlord's dream.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He shouldn't to a point (the officer is not an idiot) but the tenant had been in there shooting up the place with his pistol prior to officer's arrival. Officers ended up dragging him to the psych ward a few hours later because his continued threats to shoot/kill his daughter. Every landlord's dream.

LOL, the guy was shooting in there prior? I did not know that (I need to find out why Marc didn't say anything about that).

Well, obviously he should be held responsible for all of the pistol holes, but the officer pulled the trigger on the shotgun.

BTW, I shouldn't have called him an idiot. We all make mistakes and he probably just had a brain fart.

What he did was idiotic. Fair enough?:D

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    As a landlord, I think I'd be more concerned about a tenant keep jars of urine than a shotgun....

Some meth users keep their **** and attempt to chemically re-caputure the meth out of it to resmoke. While disgusting, I suppose no more disgusting than normal manufacture, plus probably less likely to end up with you as a fireball...

Then again the guy might just have been lazy, who knows.

Best,

Joe

Top Bottom