IMPORTANT NOTICE: AR-15 "Pop-Up" Target, Oct. 20, 2018 (Camp Atterbury)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    That wind was crazy! Kevin was measuring but I never saw the powerful gusts when he had his anemometer out. iirc I only saw ~24 mph on it. When I was scouting the top of the berms at the rifle range I could lean into the wind and it held me up. Had to be 35+ mph.

It wasn't all that bad during my AQT though. I center held on almost every pop up target.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Ended up being mostly pistol pop-ups. GREAT TIME!
    By the end of the day, there were more than a few targets that weren't registering hits because of all the holes that were added.
    Lessons learned:
    - <=10 rounds/mag and you better be good at mag changes AND accurate
    - Keep shooting till the threat is gone (Sometimes that means a headshot, even at 30m)
    - <= 9mm and you'll need to hit 'em repeatedly (true story)
    - Bring as many mags as you can. AND make friends to help reload mid-scenario.
    - Doc Warren was a fearless badass

Each shooter only had one chance at the Rifle pop-up late in the day. Gusty winds were teh suck.
    Of the 15 shooters in the first relay, there were few that hit 200m+, and fewer consistently.
    200m (7 times): 5, 6, 6, 4, 8, 8, 10
    250m (5 times): 3, 3, 1, 4, 2
    300m (3 times): 3, 1, 1

Additionally, there were some closer targets that didn't register hits. (NICE JOB #13! I'm sure that was 39/40 if the 50m target would have registered for you)
    And a couple who's heads were missing AND had bodies hidden in their holes.

Second relay had a software malfunction so no scores were captured, though the targets were still active.
    Lessons learned:
    - Never plan for anything specific if there's government involved.
    - Doubly so, if there are Joes in the mix.
    - Gusty winds = misses at distance. Use your cover/concealment and close in on your target. (Consistent wind can be compensated for, but once it leaves your barrel...)
    - Don't trust anyone else to judge your wind for you. Use your gut and DOPE.
    - Billy Gates makes crap software, even if it's Mil-Spec

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    We ended up shooting only once for each of our two relays on the rifle qualification range. We shared the rifle qualification range with a unit that was being deployed overseas and needed to qualify on their rifles; at the "deconfliction meeting" on Friday we were told that we would not be able to get on the rifle range until 1400 as opposed to our original scheduled time of 1200. Then when we actually got to the range we discovered that the unit was having a lot of difficulties getting it's men and women qualified due to the windy conditions (blowing 20+mph when we were at the rifle range). Unfortunately, that meant the unit required maximal use of the range. However, the unit did run the range while our guys were shooting to make the experience that much more authentic!

We have uploaded two videos to our YouTube channel:
    [video=youtube_share;HLBLsuozYSA]https://youtu.be/HLBLsuozYSA[/video]
    [video=youtube_share;iLBXG6FEpFk]https://youtu.be/iLBXG6FEpFk[/video]

These should give everyone a better idea of what it is like to shoot on both of these ranges. We plan to hold more events on these ranges in 2019 although they will likely be specifically rifle or pistol (trying to transition between ranges proved to be a big time sink due to the lengthy sign-out process mandated by the military).

Full AAR coming soon...

Top Bottom