Important Online Poll: Should we have an armed guard in every American school?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If schools remain soft targets mass shootings will continue. I am proud of the NRA for not caving to the anti-gun crowd. I was afraid they would. Armed people who can shoot are the answer for protecting children in the schools. If we want to go the expensive route guards or police is the way to go. Arming teachers would be far cheaper and just as effective.

1) Anyone with a gun or a hammer can get into nearly any school in the nation without breaking stride. Panic bars and glass make it really easy.

2) Keeping doors locked and shut all day at a school of any size is a challenge.

3) Most safety measures that most schools take are not designed to do anything about an active shooter. We need to take it from being a shooting gallery to a gun fight.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I voted yes. I hate living in a world with wackos and criminals but I do accept things as they are.
    Would the schools take on more of a prison atmosphere? Probably
    I have a son in 6th grade and he knows I carry a gun and WE are gun people. He knows Why I carry and understands the perils of society for the most part.
    I asked him this question a few minutes ago. The answer I got woke me up. "I don't want to die dad" It's ok with me".
    That's why I voted yes. I agree with his answer.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'd rather have an armed guard than no one armed at all, but I think it best to have both armed guard and armed staff where funds permit staffing the armed guard. No single target, and no knowledge on who will resist with deadly force.

About the prison thing. Just because there may be an armed guard, doesn't mean the school has to treat kids like prisoners. It's just an extra heartbeat in the building with a gun. Kids won't be put in orange suits and get branded with an ID, or should I say this is not going to turn into a post-apocalypse novel.

Metal detectors likely won't do a damn thing against a murderer with a body count goal, it'll likely only help against an assailant going after a specific person. A crazed looney will walk right through them and get to business (alarms can't shoot, just make noise or trigger a 911 call).

Lockdowns, I doubt many schools do not have a procedure. Lock doors and windows, and huddle out of sight. Glass breaks pretty easily, and resistant glasses are expensive. Some locks are easily broken, too.

So yes, guns in schools. Whether guard or staff. Anybody. Just get them in there.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Notes

1. Indpls Public School Police are the 2nd largest police dept. in Marion County now that IPD & MCSD merged. They are armed!

2. All the school/theater shootings took place in known "gun free" areas.

3. All the shooters killed themselves when they encountered armed resistance.

4. And I repeat........Connecticut General Statute 53-202 bans assault weapons.

Last and personal opinions only based on reading certain posts here: Those who don't want police in schools, don't want police anywhere else either. Fortunately, they can hold their meetings in a phone booth. Some of the posts decrying (that means against) the NRA's stance are from those who decry everything the NRA does but offer no solution.

balzack2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    South of Ft Wayne
    I read on yahoo yesterday that all greater Los Angeles schools have armed guards already most are called resource officers, sounds like nothing new and if I read it right the sandy hook school had one to. Just shows if somebody wants to do something bad enough don't know if a guard would work all the time.

Big Muddy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    Jasper County
    I applaud the NRA, and support such a decision: but ONLY if made on a local control basis.
    A decision to do this via federal decree, will result in something that fails to reach its goals.
    Federal deccision regarding local matters will lead to another bureaucracy, where the tasked purpose will swiftly become secondary to building a permanent power base.
    Job security and working conditions will take precedence over the original goal of security for our children; and calls for reform once the realities come to light, will elicit the same response we are hearing now: reduce the constitutional liberties of everyone.
    So we will be back where we started.......except with an additional 250k federal workers; the unfunded debt & liabilities that go along with them; and another voting block for those who want us to "eat our peas".....

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Let me understand this. Some of you want a teacher to carry a gun in class. You are going to give her what eight hours of training. Where is she going to carry this gun. On her hip? On her leg and pull up the dress to get to it in an emergency? Under her arm? When she picks up Johny from skinning his knee will he be able to get to her gun?

With all due respect, you haven't carried a pistol in your front pocket, have you? :D

Go down to Bradi's, talk to Mark, grab a Kahr p380 and stick it in your Dockers or Levi's. Grab a DeSantis Nemesis or any other reputable front pocket holster. I do the same with my CM9 all day, everyday. And no, Johnny can't get to my gun. And yes, I can...

If a teacher wants to carry (and carry securely) there ARE ways... you just have to look past your agenda to see them.

Top Bottom