• Is a Tomahawk a Knife?

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I realized that the poll was a raise suspicions (correctly) that I was considering a purchase. However, I did not want to fully prejudice the voting pool by offing all of that information. Thank you to all who participated, both for humorous as well as other reasons.

Here's the deal: a friend had an extra Cold Steel Trailhawk that he wanted to sell and offered me a good price. I did not have a tomahawk, but had been considering the purchase of one for quite a while. I agreed to buy it from him for the asking price maybe 7-8 weeks ago, but I we had not been able to meet to complete the transaction. When I made the deal, I also was not considering my self-imposed moratorium on buying knives. This week, I remembered and realized that even though I don't consider it a knife, some people might, and I don't want to seem like any more of a weaselly hypocrite than I already do. Therefore, I decided to let INGO be the arbiter of key issue: is a tomahawk a knife or not.

At this point in time, 51 people have voted "no" and 4 have vote "yes," which suggests that within our community, a tomahawk is not considered a knife (an opinion I share).

Given that, the knife buying moratorium has not been violated. It would have continued either way, but now I do not feel a compelled to reset the clock that I've been using to amuse and annoy my fellow INGOers and to remind myself that I've still got a problem.

And there you have it!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So if it's deemed NOT a knife, does that mean you CAN'T cut yourself with it?

Given that I've cut myself with the floor before, I suspect I'm not in any way safe from a tomahawk injury.

This little idiot mark is in fact from Cold Steel Trailhawk. Apparently when splitting small tender, it is important to either get your hand out of he way, or not miss.

If but only I had the ability to learn from the mistakes of others . . .

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    How sharp does a tomahawk need to be?
    Sharp enough to light a strike anywhere match but it also requires the user to have some skill as well. FYI great skill to work on during winter camping. This may be a totally useless skill.

What comes next for Rhino? Perhaps a Queen city knife/hatchet combo? Although I assume they would be hard to find.

Top Bottom