• 7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Hi everyone,
    This may sound like a stupid question, but it's really not. We picked up a bunch of Halloween Candy to give out to the Trick 'O Treaters, but we're stymied on just which day they're supposed to show up.

Ours is long past the days where she'd go door to door collecting candy, but with both Tonite and Tomorrow nite being technically "school nites", she just informed us that the "official" day was last Friday. Needless to say we didn't get anyone, which for our neighborhood is very strange. We usually average between 150 to 200 kids, and didn't even get 1 on Friday, which leads me to think she might be mistaken?

Supposedly it was on the news? Which we don't make a practice of watching, so if it was rescheduled, we were clueless about it. I know a lot of INGOers are parents, so which night are you planning on taking you little ones out? We've got a ton of candy to give out,(the usual amount, 4 pieces per child, unless they're multi-bagged candies (several in a small bag) then we give out 1 per child.

My question to the parents on here, is just which nite do you intend to take your little ones door to door, so we can be ready for the onslaught? If it's tonight, we'd better get ready, if it's tomorrow nite we've got plenty of time. However, if it was Friday nite, we've missed the boat.

Can anyone give me a quick answer so we can greet the kids in the usual manner and give out the candy? If we've missed it, we'll probably eat it ourselves (not all at the same time of course) cuz I have this thing against giving out stale, year old candy. I make a point of it being fresh so the children can enjoy it, not throw it out because it's stale.

Anyway....INGO parents.....HELP???? Did we miss it? Or which nite should we prepare for? Time is running out, so any and all answers would be appreciated!

Thanks as usual, at least there are SOME intelligent people in this world, and INGO has the market cornered on them all! :)

Thanks!
    7th Stepper

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    What do you do when you have kids, do you go out with them door to door or do you stay at home to give candy to other kids?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Yop, there were some dumbasses, er, legislators in Connecticut, or one of those inconsequential little states, that were trying to make Halloween to be always on Saturday, but I don't think it got far. It's on the 31st here in the world.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Trick-or-Treat Hours:

Attica: Monday, October 31, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    Battle Ground: Friday, October 28, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
    Delphi: Monday, October 31, 6:00 – 8:30 p.m.
    Lafayette: No set hours.*
    Logansport: Saturday & Sunday, October 30 & 31, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
    Monticello: Saturday, October 29, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    Rensselaer: Monday, October 31, 5:00 – 7:00 p.m. CDT
    Rossville: Monday, October 31, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
    Remington: Saturday, October 29, 7:00 - 9:00 p.m.
    West Lafayette: No set hours.
    West Lebanon: Monday, October 31, 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
    Anderson 5:30-8pm Monday, October 31
    Avon 6-9pm, Monday, October 31
    Beech Grove 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Bloomington 5:30-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Brownsburg 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Carmel 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Cicero 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Columbus 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Crawfordsville 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Cumberland 5-9pm Monday, October 31
    Danville 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Decatur 5:30-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Delphi 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Fishers 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Franklin 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Greencastle 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Greenfield 5:30-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Greenwood 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Indianapolis 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Kokomo 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Lapel 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Lawrence 5:30-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Lebanon 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Martinsville 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    McCordsville 5:30-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    Monrovia 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Mooresville 6:30-8pm Monday, October 31
    Muncie 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    New Castle 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    New Palestine 6-8:30pm Monday, October 31
    New Whiteland 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Noblesville 5-8pm Monday, October 31
    Pittsboro 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Plainfield 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Shelbyville 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Sherdan 6-9pm Monday, October 31
    Speedway 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Westfield 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Whitestown 6-8pm Monday, October 31
    Zionsville 5-8pm Monday, October 31

sources are:
    2011 Indianapolis Area Trick or Treat Times
    Halloween Trick or Treat times for 2011 - 13 WTHR
    Greater Lafayette area: 2011 Trick-or-treat hours & Halloween events | WLFI - West Lafayette, Indiana

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always grabbed a gun and went with them, just gave them their space.

:yesway: I would do the same.

Im wondering that because I have no kids (yet), so if you go out with them there is nothing at your home to give candy to other kids or can sometimes families manage to be both out and home?

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Well, we would sometimes put a bowl out and ask the kids to only take one bag while we were out walking with our little one. That's when I would bag all of the candy into little trick or treat bags. We would come home and the bowl wasn't empty but I'm sure you couldn't do that in all neighborhoods. For the past few years, Scutter's went with her and I have manned the bowl dressed in my pirate costume.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It kind of assumes two parents. We didn't have that, so I'd dress my son up in some outrageous costume and take him out, leaving the house dark. Never had any problem.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It kind of assumes two parents. We didn't have that, so I'd dress my son up in some outrageous costume and take him out, leaving the house dark. Never had any problem.

Well I was asking so much to know about problems while you are not at home.I think both staying at home to give candy to other kids and going out with your own kids can be fun.
    Sometimes it's not possible to do both, especially if you are a single parent or maybe if you want to go out with your partner and the kids or if you have lots of kids and need the two parents to be there.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Yop, there were some dumbasses, er, legislators in Connecticut, or one of those inconsequential little states, that were trying to make Halloween to be always on Saturday, but I don't think it got far. It's on the 31st here in the world.

Considering some holidays they've moved in the past, making Halloween the last Saturday in October is the 1st move to make any sense. Some churches have had their Trunk N Treats this Sat or Tonite in our area and some tomorrow nite. At least the last Saturday wouldn't be a School night.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone for the help! I've gotten several answers that have pretty much settled on the fact that we should be expecting the kiddies tomorrow nite. That's a good thing, cuz we'll make sure all the necessary items are in the bedroom so we can lock the boys up so there's no threat to anyone who comes "Trick 0r Tricking".

The boys tend to think the bogeyman is alive and well, and has just knocked or rung the bell at our front door., They are as much afraid of the kids as the kids would be of them. The boys aren't vicious, just protective, and if you look at it from their point of view, (their memory doesn't last from year to year) each Halloween is a new experience for them. Thank God they're not Goldfish, we'd be in trouble at that point.

The kids usually start at around dusk, lasting until about 9ish. On the years Bill has had to work, we just usually give the dogs free roam of the house, and turn off the lights, giving the appearance that we're not home, then I'd take our daughter around. Instead of walking with her, I usually would take the car and follow behind her (and usually some of her friends would go with her as well), so I'd end up watching a slew of them, and the surrounding kids/area to check for bullies or hazards. I wasn't carrying at that point in time, and if memory serves me, Bill wasn't carrying either. She's not Trick-or-Treated in many many years....so we're home now and giving out the candy ourselves.

Since this is one of the few Halloweens that Bill will be home, he'll be carrying, and I'll be giving out the candy. I'm still on meds for my foot, so combining them with a gun seems to me to be a very irresponsible thing to do. To me it's like carrying while drinking, just not a good idea. It took me a while to get my license, I don't want to jeopardize it now that I finally have it. I've got my own set of "NEVER BROKEN RULES" and that's now been included among them. I've never gotten behind the wheel of a car if I've had a drink, even if it was only 1 beer. I consider myself impaired.The same applies to my carrying, if I've had any sort of pain meds (RX ones that is), I just won't carry. I'm a stickler about not breaking my own rules.

Prior to our moving to Indiana, when I took out daughter out trick or treating in CA, guns were and still are prohibited, so I carried a Mexican SwitchBlade (not legal either, but necessary, and easily concealed) in my back pocket, and a large MagLite flashlight to keep an eye on what was going on around us. I don't know if it happens here, I've never heard much about it, but out there it was nothing for a roving gang of boys to mug the smaller children for their candy. We never had that problem.

So here, the dogs will be happily preoccupied in our bedroom, and we'll be manning the front door to give out the candy. Prior to that, I'd go with her, and the house would remain dark, at least we came home. If we got back before it was over, then we'd kick on the lights and give the candy out to anyone who stopped by. One of the things they do here, and have since we arrived back in 92, is have all the stores in the Mall give out candy. It usually makes the news, and we could be sure that it was good candy they were getting, not anything that was best, questionable. Back in CA, they'd set up the hospitals so that the parents could bring the candy in and have it xrayed, to make sure nothing was on, or in the candy. You'd be amazed at what can be stuffed into an apple or even a chewy candy bar. Needless to say, razor blades, glass, sharp pieces of metal, used needles, etc., what ever the sickos could dream up.

I've not heard of that happening here, but we don't live in a highly populated area, at least not one as populated as say..Indy. Here at least in our subdivision, every one knows everyone else, so there's not really a worry. We're so quiet around here, we're usually one of the "destination" spots that parents load their kids their cars and bring them here to trick or treat. But that's cool, we just buy more to accommodate the larger amount of kids we get.

Thanks for the speed in answering my question, we're prepared for the herds of kids that'll come tomorrow night. We've got the candy (check), the bedroom set up for the dogs (check) the bowl to put the candy in (check) Bill sitting in the kitchen in case some butthole decides to disrupt the itty bitty kids who so enjoy the night! (check)! We're not wearing costumes this year, mostly because shopping has been such a chore the last couple of months.

THANK YOU to everyone who answered me! As usual, if you need help on something, ask anyone on INGO, you'll get the right and the best info every time!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN everyone! And watch out for all the witches and goblins who'll be out haunting your neighborhood!

And for heavens sakes.....WATCH OUT FOR THE ZOMBIES!!!! They won't think we'll be expecting them, cuz they'll blend in with the kids!

Regards, and stay safe!
    7th Stepper

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Nothin to worry about really. When I still lived with my parents, I think we had maybe 5 trick-or-treaters in the 12 years I was there. Total. Depends on the neighborhood. We'd have a lot more here, but if the lights are off, they respect it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Hi everyone,
    This may sound like a stupid question, but it's really not. We picked up a bunch of Halloween Candy to give out to the Trick 'O Treaters, but we're stymied on just which day they're supposed to show up.

Ours is long past the days where she'd go door to door collecting candy, but with both Tonite and Tomorrow nite being technically "school nites", she just informed us that the "official" day was last Friday. Needless to say we didn't get anyone, which for our neighborhood is very strange. We usually average between 150 to 200 kids, and didn't even get 1 on Friday, which leads me to think she might be mistaken?

Supposedly it was on the news? Which we don't make a practice of watching, so if it was rescheduled, we were clueless about it. I know a lot of INGOers are parents, so which night are you planning on taking you little ones out? We've got a ton of candy to give out,(the usual amount, 4 pieces per child, unless they're multi-bagged candies (several in a small bag) then we give out 1 per child.

My question to the parents on here, is just which nite do you intend to take your little ones door to door, so we can be ready for the onslaught? If it's tonight, we'd better get ready, if it's tomorrow nite we've got plenty of time. However, if it was Friday nite, we've missed the boat.

Can anyone give me a quick answer so we can greet the kids in the usual manner and give out the candy? If we've missed it, we'll probably eat it ourselves (not all at the same time of course) cuz I have this thing against giving out stale, year old candy. I make a point of it being fresh so the children can enjoy it, not throw it out because it's stale.

Anyway....INGO parents.....HELP???? Did we miss it? Or which nite should we prepare for? Time is running out, so any and all answers would be appreciated!

Thanks as usual, at least there are SOME intelligent people in this world, and INGO has the market cornered on them all! :)

Thanks!
    7th Stepper

Step away from the bag of candy, no more sugar. Just kidding. It's almost 9:00, did everything work out okay?

Top Bottom