• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    My house does not have a fireplace. I live in a small house, so heating it wont be that difficult if i could find a way to build in a fire place.
    Any one have experience with building an improvised fireplace.....safely?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Use the idea of a tent stove. Barrel or box for the fireplace and you vent it out a window that you could seal off. Very easy to do with parts from Lowes. Add things like stack robbers to increase efficiency.

You will need non flammable surface under and behind.

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Have you thought of a barrel stove? I'm not sure how it would work inside a house, but they are cheap and I would guess it would be pretty easy to vent outside through a converted window.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    My experiance with fireplaces has been that they aren't very efficient.
    Somewhere along the line I've seen some cast iron stoves for sale. Potbelly and other types of heating stoves. Also kitchen stoves.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    My experiance with fireplaces has been that they aren't very efficient.
    Somewhere along the line I've seen some cast iron stoves for sale. Potbelly and other types of heating stoves. Also kitchen stoves.

I second this. If you are going to spend any money I'd do it right.

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    even a barrel stove is more efficient than a fireplace. go with a stove. fireplaces look good but are not the answer for heat. Have used both extensively. You can get a kit to convert a 55 gal. barrel into a stove at several places. use your google-fu

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    improvised fireplace - what could go wrong? :dunno:

definitely go with a stand-alone stove. You can get either wood-burning or gas and they're not too expensive even to have professionally installed.

sentinelrepublic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Noblesville
    I know, It sound stupid! LOL! It's been on my mind for a while now....I'm sure somone in my community will have some expertise that I dont......
    Stand alone stoves....can these be bought at lowes?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I know, It sound stupid! LOL! It's been on my mind for a while now....I'm sure somone in my community will have some expertise that I dont......
    Stand alone stoves....can these be bought at lowes?
    Yep, Lowes does carry wood burning stoves. Many models, but not all stores stock all models. You can probably buy one off their website and have it delivered, tho. Do pay to have it professionally installed. It will be worth the cost to have a pro do it.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If we are no longer talking about an improvised stove then have one professionally installed.

If you are freezing in the winter with no heat improvisation is easy though.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Wood burners have a place as long as you have cut,split, dry, wood to burn. Since nat gas is usually dependable for most situations, look for a ventless fireplace. You can run off propane as well, (with the right features). I did some work on a farmer's A/C, and he gave me one that they removed from their tv room. No mantle, so I bought a bookcase and re engineered the shelving to allow a 3in air gap around the enclosure. For about $35.00 installed a valve, short 1/2" piping, and an appliance line. No power required, and works during power failures heating my ranch house to around 65deg. I open the front door a crack for air displacement and have a battery Carbon Monoxide detector sitting on top in case. Only real drawback is lighting the pilot. Has a sparker like a bbq grill. I do not leave it on if we turn in for the evening. Works well otherwise.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    I would strongly recommend going to Tractor Supply and purchasing a wood burning stove and piping.

That said you can find many types of home made stove on the internet. Here is one version:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ZzJolp9oY[/ame]

Minibull also shows how to build two or three better versions of that little stove.

Remember, wood burns. Houses burn. Use caution.

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Menard's sells cast iron box stoves on legs ...buy plenty of stove pipe and enuf sheet metal to cover a window, concrete blocks to insulate walls and floor....whole project
    under say $350 . I'm sure you can find plans online.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom