• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've loaded 100 rounds of 75 grain BTHP with IMR 4895. It's shooting 1/2 moa if I do my part. I've done search after search to see if anyone else is using this in a match load and everything keeps pulling up RL15 is the best. With these components I have to say that some five shot groups are under 1/2 moa. I've tried 68 and 69 grain bullets as well with similar results with the IMR 4895. I've only shot these at 100 and 200 yards as of now. I'll continue to load for a 24" stainless 1/8 AR. Anyone else like the IMR 4895 for the heavier 223 bullets to be used in an AR type rifle?

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I refer you to:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition_and_reloading/172275-h4895_is_sweet.html

4895 is good stuff. It's what I use in my heavier .223 loads.
    :rockwoot:

Thanks for the post. I had just read the link you posted. I just don't know how much better it'll get than that. IDK if everything else about other powders is just hype. I might buy some RL15 just to see for myself. I was just curious if anyone had already done some type of real comparison.
    I also shot some of the 75 grain reloads out of my 20 inch 1/9 HBAR and it's had VERY similar results at the said distances. I know such things are gun/barrel specific but alot of posts online say that a 1/9 won't stabilize a 75 grain bullet.
    At any rate I'm having fun!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the competitive community people get really excited about finding the "magic bullet/load". I have always laughed at the fads. It goes like this; A top shooter has a great day, wins the match, maybe even sets a course record. Someone asks him what load he was using, and the top dog says "VV135 (or RL15, or H4895, etc.) Next match many people have their new "improved" ammo, using whatever the last winner had used last time. When this match is over, the names on the score sheet are mostly in the same place. The bottom line is, that once you have a quality rifle and ammo combination that will shoot MOA or less, the rest is on the shooter. If you can shoot as well holding your rifle in position as you can with the rifle benched in sandbags, THEN worry about tuning the ammo more.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'll agree with Shibumi on this one, people tend to complicate things more than they should sometimes. Having said that (and I'm sure that Mark will agree) - I LIKE to complicate things sometimes. Testing out more and more powders gives a shooter a better idea of the properties of the powder. Also, shooting powders that I haven't tried, whether they work or not, gives me a little kick. They smell different when they burn, the rifle feels different, and for someone that doesn't shoot competition (and has a very steady girlfriend), that's the closest I get to trying new things. :)

Having said that, H4895 in max load (26.0gns) is going to give you the fastest bullet for any 69gn & 75gn load data in the Hodgdon manual. All else being equal, a faster bullet = less bullet drop = better accuracy at distance. You may not see a difference at 100 yards, but you will at 300+.

Disclaimer: Someone is going to say that "fastest is not always most accurate." This is absolutely true. Speed can introduce other variables that are unfavorable.

Last edited:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Which 75 .224?

I've shot many thousands of AMax, considerably fewer but still a lot of Bergers, all in a variety if rifles. Reloader 15 is all right as is 4895, but if you want to look at a second powder make it H335. It particularly excels with heavy bullets but beats the field with light ones as well.

Accuracy may put you back on 4895, but it is enlightening to try.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I'll agree with Shibumi on this one, people tend to complicate things more than they should sometimes. Having said that (and I'm sure that Mark will agree) - I LIKE to complicate things sometimes. Testing out more and more powders gives a shooter a better idea of the properties of the powder. Also, shooting powders that I haven't tried, whether they work or not, gives me a little kick. They smell different when they burn, the rifle feels different, and for someone that doesn't shoot competition (and has a very steady girlfriend), that's the closest I get to trying new things. :)

I agree completely (you knew I would)!

Part of the enjoyment for me is the tinkering. It would be boring for me if all I did was nail sub-moa groups all day long with no effort. One aspect of shooting sports I like is that it can be as simple or as complex as I want to enjoy. I also like the fact the that technology is improving as better bullets and powders have come about and newer calibers that perform specific roles better. But I can also pull out the tried and true and still have fun.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I keep IMR4895 around for my M1 Garand loads. Might just have to try it in the AR and Savage for my .223 loads. Right now I really like Varget for my accuracy loads in .223.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Thanks for the post. I had just read the link you posted. I just don't know how much better it'll get than that. IDK if everything else about other powders is just hype. I might buy some RL15 just to see for myself. I was just curious if anyone had already done some type of real comparison.
    I also shot some of the 75 grain reloads out of my 20 inch 1/9 HBAR and it's had VERY similar results at the said distances. I know such things are gun/barrel specific but alot of posts online say that a 1/9 won't stabilize a 75 grain bullet.
    At any rate I'm having fun!

I would recommend trying some RL15 with 75 Hornadys at around 24.0 grains. I think you will like it. A 1/9 should handle 75's just fine. I just bought some RL-15 at Bradis south for 21.00 a pound. 6.00 bucks cheaper than it was two month ago at the same place.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I was using 75 grain Hornadys. I have to admit it was a weak load. I don't have a chrony but bullet drop was approximately 2.5 inches at 200 yards. I didn't measure, I shot at 200 and clicked POI up to the bull. That trip I was more interested to see how my 1/9 20 inch HBAR would do at a little more distance with the heavy bullet. I think I might try to go to a real range instead of my back door for some longer distance shots.
    I think I'm beginning to understand using different components and experimenting. I originally thought get the "perfect" load and duplicate. I suppose I'll try some H335 and some RL15 just for the heck of it. Before I loaded these I was just typing in searches for IMR 4895 and 223 accuracy and I really didn't find much compared to H335 and RL15.
    I think I'm going to take the wife out this weekend and stake up some ballons at 200.:rockwoot:

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    I have kinda settled on 24.7 grains of benchmark with any 55 grain Vmax/BT or softpoint or hollowpoint it shoots EXCEPTIONAL in about any AR and bolt gun i tried it in Coyotes DO NOT like it : ) cci 400 in a win or surplus case

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Well I went ahead and bought some RL15. I have not found any H335 locally yet. My plan is to hit up the 1500 and buy some. I bought some of the 75 grain bullets from Wideners as well to compare to the Hornady. I'll load some up this week and see how they do.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    H335 is a good powder to keep around for .223. It is close to the original military powder used for the M193 (55gr.) rounds. Fills the case nicely, meters well, and has a very distinct ammonia smell when fired. I love the smell of it up my nose when shooting my ARs. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom