• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Without getting into a sob story or anything silly - I need a career path. I'm going nowhere as is and this is all unsustainable for me.

I have no college degree and honestly outside of restaurants very little experience. My family had a few restaurants my whole life until the 08 recession categorically destroyed their lives and businesses. It wasn't the end but covid was the final nail in the coffin.

Since then I've been doing BS jobs and doing things like doordash and uber at night. My partner of 10 years makes great money but I'd really like to find something that I could do alone and so we could start a family with her staying home.

Doing basically the same garbage tier jobs a high schooler could do isn't the way to do that.

My dad never taught me much outside of the business, but anything I've ever tried to pick up or learn I did VERY fast. I'm not stupid, but I just need someone to show me how to do things and answer questions, after that I've always picked whatever it was up fast.

What options are even really out there for me without going to some kind of school? If schools the only way then so be it. I just can't keep doing this. It's soul crushing. Doing nothing is the worst.

All I'm doing is racking up insane miles on a car for near minimum wage after expenses and depreciation are considered. Completely unsustainable and blatantly stupid.

Long hours or no days off are a non-issue for me. I'll just have to get a way sorted for her getting to work which won't be a huge issue. I worked 6 years without a day off besides Christmas. 2 of which were 7am to 10pm. And when you work for family you don't get to call off so I don't even think I'd be able to find a way to call off for someone at this point after never even considering it.
    I just started a new job doing budget stuff at a contractor that does mostly new construction. The dudes on my team don't have construction backgrounds. One drove trucks before his current job.

Just in a little while browsing ongoing projects, I can see this company is absolutely printing money right now on new builds. They can't keep up. Anything construction is where it's at. I'm drinking from a fire hose trying to learn, and all I hear is "we can't get help" and "we always have to hire subs because we can't get help".

Can you stick PVC together? Operate a skid steer? Excel, payroll, and project management experience is huge. I talked my way in off completely unrelated admin experience doing reports, some Excel, PDF editing, and project management. They seem happy to have me and glad to teach.

Consider looking at contractors and just skimming for any group of skills you think you could do or could make an argument for learning. Lots of chances to jump into supervision, planning, or budget.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I'm retired now, spent my whole career in IT technical support. Started as a support technician, then moved into management roles. You always are learning new technologies, and stay pretty busy most of the time. I worked in higher education the last 13 years of my career. Higher ed doesn't pay as high as private sector. But it has it's perks. Now with all that said. I have friends, and know a lot of folks that went the union trade route. They made dam good money, with great insurance and retirement. It can be physical work, and it can physically take it's toll on your body. So it's best to get into it as a young person. Get your years in, then pull the plug. Bottom line is you have to figure out what interests you. You don't want a job that is boring and does not stimulate your mind. Good luck!

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Another vote for the trades. Specifically HVAC would be my suggestion. Of course I’m bias, as I’ve been in the trade for 15 years. You’ll learn most all of the other trades under the “hvac” umbrella. Plumbing. Electrical. Sheet metal. Computer programming.

If you can get into the Local 440, base pay is probably in the low $20s/hr. Pass a drug test. Show up on time. Work hard. Don’t be an idiot. You don’t even have to be the best, just be reliable, and you’ll have consistent work for a very long time.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Another vote for the trades. Specifically HVAC would be my suggestion. Of course I’m bias, as I’ve been in the trade for 15 years. You’ll learn most all of the other trades under the “hvac” umbrella. Plumbing. Electrical. Sheet metal. Computer programming.

If you can get into the Local 440, base pay is probably in the low $20s/hr. Pass a drug test. Show up on time. Work hard. Don’t be an idiot. You don’t even have to be the best, just be reliable, and you’ll have consistent work for a very long time.
    For sure with the HVAC route. Although be prepared to be very popular with your family and neighbors!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you can do the brake work, you can save some money ordering parts from rockauto.com

<quote>
    the suv we actually drive is getting ready to need all new rotors + pads which will run around another 1k,
    </quote>
    This. Brakes are easy. Especially if you need rotors. Just remove the old calipers and the rotors come off easily. (there may be a flush screw with what looks like a crayon drawn across it to show whether it has backed out to hold them down to the hub)

Remove the rotor and reassemble in reverse order. The only special tools you need are a large C clamp to compress the caliper piston, 3' of copper wire or some zip ties (to hold the caliper up out of the way by attaching it to the spring while you do other things), and a bleed kit which is super cheap.

I find it is cheaper to just replace the rotors while I am at it because its easier than taking them somewhere to be turned to be reused. Even unnecessarily replacing rotors and drums its still cheaper than paying somebody.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

My neighbor is a commercial HVAC guy. He's mentioned several times how hard it is to get younger people in to the trade.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Look for a factory with lots of CNC machines and automation, get your foot in the door anyway you can and see if they will teach you set up procedures and possibly programming. Automation is the future in manufacturing might as well join it.

I jumped in with both feet in high school and by my sophomore year I was already programming CNC mills and lathes the old fashioned way. When I graduated I could use pretty much any CAD/CAM software on the market, got a great job as a programmer my sophomore year in college that turned into a plant manager position.
    This.

My career was basically identical. Im plant manager of our shop now, spend most of my day programming on mastercam and on the phone or in meetings with customers. Started straight out of high school. Very few younger guys getting into the trade, so definitely a demand for it. Good benefits, steady hours and usually overtime, and room to move up.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My neighbor is a commercial HVAC guy. He's mentioned several times how hard it is to get younger people in to the trade.
    Every trade is this way.

We hired a 20 year old last year. He was mad that he didnt have his own office.

What. The. ****?

I brought him into the office and explained, 75% of our employees are over 50. This means in 15 years, you will be 35 and have a lot of experience, and move up as positions become available. He wanted a management position now. He no longer works here.

Every young guy we interview wants $30 an hour. The one that actually had some experience, missed a day a week.

It sucks because as a manager it makes you hesitant to even interview them, although i need to because in a few years im not going to have guys to fill spots that are empty.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Every trade is this way.

We hired a 20 year old last year. He was mad that he didnt have his own office.

What. The. ****?

I brought him into the office and explained, 75% of our employees are over 50. This means in 15 years, you will be 35 and have a lot of experience, and move up as positions become available. He wanted a management position now. He no longer works here.

Every young guy we interview wants $30 an hour. The one that actually had some experience, missed a day a week.

It sucks because as a manager it makes you hesitant to even interview them, although i need to because in a few years im not going to have guys to fill spots that are empty.

Try to hire for law enforcement. :D

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Pretty crazy to be honest. It’s a relatively easy path to making $80-$100k within four or five years.

Then from there, if you’re fine with staying pat and being a tech, fine. If you have aspirations of higher income, move into management or go out on your own if you’re so inclined.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I know you don't want to drive but there's a company in Whitestown that will send you to CDL school and you'll make 75k in the first year. Delco Foods. Hours aren't great but it's only four days a week. The fifth day is optional if you want another $250/300 bucks.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    If you could program a CNC I could have an interview for you in Brownsburg instantly. Or if you could weld - same thing. 2nd shift would fit perfect w your schedule.

Any trade would be great. Work as much extra as you want. Some are cake jobs. Others are brutal

The other job no one has mentioned is NDT work. Non Destructive Testing. If you are GOOD and can travel, there are places you can go that few get access to. Imagine doing mobile X-ray in nuc plants. Or other places on things that get unique.

If you don’t want to travel, get higher certifications and make much more $$$. Few want to enter this field. I never knew of it before this job.

I can just keep going.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've only been doing it for 7.5 years and can not count how many new guys have started and no longer working for us within a year of their hiring.

I've had a kid working as my helper get mad because I finished my part at about 1pm. He was mad because I made him do his part and didn't do it for him. He got so mad that I ended up dropping him off in a parking lot.

Another kid was upset I made him go in the attic to run new copper lines. New guy gets that job. He stepped through the ceiling. This same guy also was upset when he asked me to fix a brazed joint for him.

I asked if he attempted to fix it before asking and he said no.

Another kid refused to get in a crawl space that was practically a basement.

Its fun work but it isnt. Never know what or who you will see or meet.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    About 1/5 the population are Baby Boomers, ages 57-75.
    I'd say the Funeral Industry would be in demand over the next 20 years or so.
    At the rate that young people are killing each other or themselves, it probably is a good field, but not necessarily for the reason you describe.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've only been doing it for 7.5 years and can not count how many new guys have started and no longer working for us within a year of their hiring.

I've had a kid working as my helper get mad because I finished my part at about 1pm. He was mad because I made him do his part and didn't do it for him. He got so mad that I ended up dropping him off in a parking lot.

Another kid was upset I made him go in the attic to run new copper lines. New guy gets that job. He stepped through the ceiling. This same guy also was upset when he asked me to fix a brazed joint for him.

I asked if he attempted to fix it before asking and he said no.

Another kid refused to get in a crawl space that was practically a basement.

Its fun work but it isnt. Never know what or who you will see or meet.

So far the only thing my son has refused to do is pick up **** bottles left by a different crew. Don't blame him.

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    If you have any basic mechanic type skills (use wrenches, work with your hands, like to assemble engine parts, etc) look into becoming an Airframe and Powerplant mechanic. Takes about a year and a half to get ur licence but then can start in the $30's/hr and in 2 years be making $40s/hr. Some places even offer Repairman apprentice programs where they will train over 2 years as preparation to take the A&P test. A&P's can work in hangers outdoors if you wish or in a climate controlled shop with all the snap-on tools you can dream of at your disposal. It's different than auto mechanic work (not bashing auto mechanics) just that in that it takes more caution due to regulations and, due to safety critical nature of parts, they usually can NOT grab a hammer to make something go together. And there's and AIM in Indy...
    https://aviationmaintenance.edu/

Top Bottom