• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    My wife and I are currently building a house. We are trying to decide what all we want on the property. We are budgeting and prioritizing future projects. We think we may want to at least ponder the idea of an in ground salt water pool. We are trying to get a feel for what the initial cost is.

For the pool owners here, would anyone be willing to share basic details about your pool, how much it cost, and who installed it? Also, would you recommend them? We are just north of Indy, so recommendations in that area would be appreciated. If you want to share pictures, that would be great too.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We looked at mudslingers, Angie's pool and spa, and Pools of fun. We went with Angie's and were very happy. Pools of fun I think would have been fine also.

we went steel frame vinyl liner. We have a custom 4' sun deck where it's about 9" deep. We wanted sal****er first too but so glad we didn't. Equipment gets destroyed from salt. Our pool never smells like chlorine and is always clear. With the in-line chlorinator systems and UV/ozone feature it maintains a low level that works. Kids never have eye burn. We pay a service to do chemistry.

20x44' pool with a $5k slide and a lot of extra concrete deck, auto cover, sun bathing ledge, and lots of upgraded equipment and gas heater was about $82k I think. THat includes automation where I can control lights, heater, and slide from my phone. We also extended our patio and put a roof over it. That is the best part of the whole build. You will want a big shady spot. The sun get old fast.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Hahahahahha

salt water

:rofl:

We we looked at gunnite but it tears up your feet if you're active in it. Fiberglass never really appealed to us.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    If you will have the space - put up a pole barn instead. You'll get a lot more use out of it.

If you have a pool you'll like it for a couple of years. You'll have every kid and neighbor and wanna be friends over playing in it, even if you're not around. After you get tired of it, it will still be there requiring costly maintenance. If you want to sell your house it will limit the number of interested buyers.

If you want a pool put in an above ground 27' pool and build a nice deck around it. When you get tired of it take it down and reseed the lawn.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you want a pool put in an above ground 27' pool and build a nice deck around it. When you get tired of it take it down and reseed the lawn.

And when you decide to take it down, invite some friends over to do some "ballistic research":D...

i2kXecT.jpg

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    If you will have the space - put up a pole barn instead. You'll get a lot more use out of it.

If you have a pool you'll like it for a couple of years. You'll have every kid and neighbor and wanna be friends over playing in it, even if you're not around. After you get tired of it, it will still be there requiring costly maintenance. If you want to sell your house it will limit the number of interested buyers.

The pole barn barn will be built next spring. Also, we don't have neighbors. We can see 3 houses, the closest is about 600 yards away. Point taken about it maybe going out of style in a few years, which is why I'm looking for budget ideas in order to determine if it is worth it for us. Above ground is not an option. It will be in ground or no pool.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    If I were you I would think very long and very hard before building an in-ground pool. They come with all kinds of baggage...insurance, liability (your life is over if a kid drowns in your pool.) and resale value are all things to consider and no a pool does not necessarily add value. It can make your house a lot harder to sell.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The pole barn barn will be built next spring. Also, we don't have neighbors. We can see 3 houses, the closest is about 600 yards away. Point taken about it maybe going out of style in a few years, which is why I'm looking for budget ideas in order to determine if it is worth it for us. Above ground is not an option. It will be in ground or no pool.

Yeah, there are pool people and not pool people. If you are a pool person, all the cons are things you'll gladly put up with. If you're not a pool person, all the pros will never make a different.

I'm not a pool person....but my neighbor is. Hence, my youngest son is perpetually waterlogged.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I have a 20x40' pool, in the ground.
    And this sounds like solid advice.
    If I want to get rid of my pool, I need truckloads of dirt. And, I don't have much of a side yard, so I'd have to ask my neighbors to drive through their yard, then I'd have to repair the tire ruts.
    When I was younger, I had less overtime, so more time for the pool. And there used to be scantily clad women coming over. Not so much anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pools are nice if you have kids.
    Wed put up an 18'X5' deep above ground next door at the daughters place. We had to spend a solid day and a half leveling up the area. The kids love it. It is fun when they have cook outs and family over. We take it down in the fall.
    We already had a full privacy fence around the compound so we are somewhat protected as to liability but if some energetic kids scaled the fence (8' 6" tall) and drown in it we would still bi in trouble.

Think long on the in ground pool thing.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Tip from a former in ground pool owner. Caring for it is a part time job in itself. Ours was 18x38 with a 9ft deep end. We had a diving board and slide. Keeping it clean and the PH right so we did not have algae issues was a weekly battle. Yeah it was fun, for everyone we knew that swam in it. For us, it got old after a few years. We kept it for about 17 years.

In hindsight, would should have gone with a above ground. No big ass hole to fill in when you are done.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I grew up with in ground pools, and while they are nice they are a lot of money and upkeep for the amount of time you get to use them in Indiana. If I had the $30,000+ to put it an in ground pool, I would rather drop it on my mortgage. With that said we do have an above ground intex pool with 50lb sand filter and salt water system. It has been great and was a little over $300 for the whole setup. Once the kids get a little older, we will go with a metal frame above ground.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I lucked out growing up bicycling distance to a really nice swimming lake....which actually characterizes most kids who grew up in rural Michigan.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I lucked out growing up bicycling distance to a really nice swimming lake....which actually characterizes most kids who grew up in rural Michigan.

Yep, I grew up on Kelsey Lake. We swam every summer day. I do not remember not knowing how to swim. It was a lot of fun until we moved in to town at about 9 years old. Then we still swam when ever we could in the creek that ran threw town.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    We pay $65/week for chemical maintenance (plus cost of materials) of pool and hot tub. Once a week I Toss our robot vacuum thing in there. That's about it other than maintaining cover pump.

which we did not do and were out of town during the huge rain. Our liner got screwed up, set to drain, fix liner, and refill tomorrow :xmad:

kids adore it. My spread is setup for families with kids. I should have no problem selling.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Our pool is about 6 acres in size, requires some maintenance, though I don't care if the water is green. I don't have to close it at the end of the season and don't open it in the spring. I can fish in it as well and don't look like a total dork if I decide to paddle around in it with my kayak. After having a pool when my wife and I were first married (it came with our first house),....I think I really like our pond better now.

Dirty Steve

Top Bottom