• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    When did the State of Indiana discontinue handgun registration? I recall it was required in 1955. Then I lost interest in guns for a few years. What year did they stop it?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I don't recall that handguns ever needed to be registered in Indiana, but then again I don't remember much before 1974 in regards to Indiana gun law.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I remember in the early 90's our local LEO brought a piece of paper to my dad for a handgun he had bought and sold already. I have no idea what it was about.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I remember my dad participating in a voluntary registration in the 80s. It was supposed to keep serial numbers on file in case the gun was stolen. Also there was a waiting period for purchase unless the buyer had a handgun license

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When you say "registration", do you mean the separate white form that one filled out during a sale? A voluntary program that did exist in some cities and towns? What exactly are you referencing?

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    I believe IN had some kind of voluntary, billed as a public service, gun registration for some period of time.

Yes. I registered two with Jasper Co. the same day I went in to apply for my first LTCH. Back around '82 or so. Not sure WHY now, never did it again...

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I remember my dad participating in a voluntary registration in the 80s. It was supposed to keep serial numbers on file in case the gun was stolen. Also there was a waiting period for purchase unless the buyer had a handgun license
    As far as the waiting period in the 1980's, yes that is true. I had to wait for the purchase of my first handgun, but after that I went out and got my carry permit so there would be no more waiting.

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I remember getting a target permit issued by the Marion County Sheriff's Department in the 1970 era. The Deputy took the serial number and issued the permit (blue paper). My first 3 firearms were purchased at Galyan's in Plainfield and I don't remember filling out paper work for background check when buying either a revolver or long guns. I do remember buying a new Winchester Model 94 lever action 22 magnum rifle for 99.00 and some change. My shotguns came from Enroe Sporting Goods downtown Indy on Washington Street. I don't recall paper work on either purchase.

ductape

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    In the early 80's I was required to give the local police a copy of the sales information from the dealer. I was told it was to register it.

Top Bottom