• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2014
    Hymera
    This is from my blog.
    I have since posting this found out they was fighting the 2nd SS Panzer Division.

56304947_1395981705.jpg

PFC Frank L. Walters 334th Infantry Regiment, 84th Infantry Division was Killed In Action during the assault on The Seigfreid Line Southwest of Lindern, Germany.On the morning of Dec 2nd, two platoons from the Second Battalion Fox Company were seeking the higher ground South of Brachelen as they moved through the night.
    As dawn broke on December 3rd, they found themselves very deep behind enemy lines with dead batteries in their walkie-talkies.
    With no way to communicate their situation back to Lindern, the two platoons were forced to try to fight their way out.
    They were unable to move out due to heavy German 88 Artillery fire. Later, German Panzers joined the fight.
    Two soldiers from the two platoons made it to Brachelen to tell their story.
    About four more made it back; the rest of the two platoons were killed. Among them was my uncle PFC Frank L. Walters.
    Uncle Frank is one of many reasons I have such a deep respect for our veterans.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My greatest honor and respect to him; we are forever in his debt. All my relatives came back, some after some pretty hairy stuff. I can but admire the spirit and ability to just go in and do what you have to do. Rock on, Frank L Walters.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I read your blog and couldn't help but think that without the sacrifice these people showed......who knows what the USA would be today.

I, like you...had many of family that left blood in other countries so people can have freedom in this great nation.

Much respect for their sacrifices.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kudos to you for remembering the sacrifices that your family made to this nation. I wish all people did.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    For about six years I lived in Immendorf, about five miles southwest from where your uncle was killed. I was stationed at the nearby NATO Airbase Geilenkirchen. There was a lot of fighting in that area during WWII. In fact, on base (which had a lot of forest land), they advised joggers to stick to marked trails because the woods had never been cleared of ordnance.

I rode my bicycle all around that region, saw many leftover concrete pillboxes and such in the farmer's fields. That is very flat terrain, farming (and coal) country, "higher ground" would be measured in a few feet. Excellent open terrain for vehicles unless they get stuck in the mud, not so many places to take cover if you are infantry.

A very good book that covers the fighting in that area, at the infantryman's level, is The Men of Company K written by two former commanders of that company.

Company K was also part of the 84th Infantry Division, in the 3rd Battalion, 333rd Infantry Regiment. Thus it won't cover exactly the same people, but they fought in the same terrain, the 84th ID being charged with taking Geilenkirchen and the "high" ground to the northeast of GK up to the Rur River, just beyond Brachelen. Not so long after your uncle was killed, the 84th turned south to fight in the Battle of the Bulge.

After I had been stationed at Geilenkirchen for awhile, I found out a man I knew since I was a kid (his daughter was my Sunday school teacher) was the First Sergeant (at 21 years old!) for Company K.

People naturally focus on the fights and the battles, but the weather in that region was a significant factor. Being only a couple hours from the North Sea, the Geilenkirchen area gets an amazing amount of rain -- I arrived in May and it rained EVERY DAY until September -- and it often rains even more in winter time. In normal wintertime it seldom freezes (gets right on the edge on occasion), almost never snows, but it rains and rains and rains. Plus the days are very short, sun comes up at 9 and goes down about 4. Makes for a rather depressing winter.

The 84th encountered these same conditions when it moved into the Geilenkirchen area, and then later they got one of the coldest winters in decades on top of the normal misery, which made in infantryman's life hard, never mind having to fight as well. In fact the Army medical service made a case study of how the 84th dealt with trenchfoot in those conditions: Office of Medical History.

Thus your uncle fought a very hard war in very tough conditions. Praise to him and all his comrades who persevered through it all. It is nice that you remember him.

drop45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    My empire of dirt
    Both of my Grandpas died in the mountains of Greece fighting off the Italians and then the Germans. After the war my family was still fighting the commies (Greeks) from the same mountains and hills as they stayed there battling for control of the villages. We were called terrorists and guerrillas, WOW imagine that. Defending your home and being called a terrorist. Good on you and your Uncle ReaganConservative

Last edited:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Thank you for sharing about your uncle. I am always humbled and grateful for the sacrifices made by others for my freedom.

My dad, his brother, and the girl that later became my mother all served in the Navy. Mom was a WAVE. They all graduated from Tech HS in 1940-43.

My sister has mom's 1943 yearbook. Mom made little notes next to pictures of "the boys that were killed in WW2". There are LOTS of checkmarks and notes. "Oh this boy was soo handsome...his B17 was shot down over Germany...I knew his sister really well" Things like that.

I have read that "Company K" book as well. One thing that stands out is how the Germans continued to fight well into 1945 even though they were clearly losing. Incredible loss for all.

God bless us all

Pappy

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Several of my uncles and my FIL fought in WW2. Lucky they made it back alive. My uncle Wayne took shrapnel to the chest that eventually made it's way to his heart in 1975. These veterans are real world hero's! So sorry your uncle did not make it back alive. The world is a better place because of great men like your uncle. And because of the sacrifice they made. The world owes these gentlemen a immeasurable amount of thanks!

Top Bottom