• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Can someone please confirm in simple clear language Indiana ' s law on having to produce a driver's license and identify one's self? Needing to be clear on whether I MUST identify and respond to questions without PC or RAS.

Please leave all the Internet machismo "pound sand" responses out. Looking for clear intelligent information

Thanks...

GONZO

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I'm an old member here and I know we have LEO'S and Lawyers here and just wanted to wade through the legalize and get simple clear language

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    IC 34-28-5-3.5 Refusal to identify self

Sec. 3.5. A person who knowingly or intentionally refuses to provide either the person's: 1) name, address, and date of birth; or(2) driver's license, if in the person's possession;to a law enforcement officer who has stopped the person for an infraction or ordinance violation commits a Class C misdemeanor.

It's not a question of whether YOU believe PC or RS exists... the burden of proof for traffic violations is the officer's good faith belief. Any questioning of said interaction is to take place in the court, not on the street.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    So....walking down the street. ..or perhaps...come to a check point...if the officer asks, I DO have to provide I.D. and respond...?

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    I guess I forgot to add...

My friend sends me his video where he is stopped and asked for I.D. yadda yadda...he refuses and continually responds with the standard, "Am I being detained? Then I'm free to go" type of response....the officer cites changes in law and that he must comply. ..the officer sounded fairly convincing and at one point I actually started to believe that this officer actually knew what he was discussing. It seems he had done some homework and was happy to politely inform my friend of his error. My friend live near Evansville

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My friend sends me his video where he is stopped and asked for I.D. yadda yadda...he refuses and continually responds with the standard, "Am I being detained? Then I'm free to go" type of response....the officer cites changes in law and that he must comply. ..the officer sounded fairly convincing and at one point I actually started to believe that this officer actually knew what he was discussing. It seems he had done some homework and was happy to politely inform my friend of his error. My friend live near Evansville

Was your friend driving a car?

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Yes he was driving...thus was supposedly a DUI checkpoint.
    He was eventually allowed to leave

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes he was driving...thus was supposedly a DUI checkpoint.

It is an interesting question as the Court of Appeals has not decided this.

So, if you are in a OWI roadblock and the cops want to see your driver's license, but you have not committed an IF or OV, need you produce your DL?

I could see both sides of that.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So....walking down the street. ..or perhaps...come to a check point...if the officer asks, I DO have to provide I.D. and respond...?

Nope. You can answer them with the mantra..."Am I being detained"? and the ever popular..."Am I free to go"?. They can ask for, and you must produce, if you have been pulled over for an infraction or ordinance violation. If you're walking an you jay walk, they could also ask for ID. The rest of the time you don't need to engage them. Leave as soon as able.

Never have heard of a solid law saying you must, at a DUI checkpoint. Best not to engage them there. Just stick to the mantra until they're tired and send you on your way. Some cops will make up stuff to get you to talk. Don't fall for it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Next twist, what about being a passenger in a vehicle that HAS been stopped for an infraction?

Fact dependent, but generally not. If you aren't wearing your seat belt, for example, the answer could change. I am unaware of anything in IC code that compels you to identify if you are simply a passenger and no independent reason exists.

Six Forty-Two

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    W. Lafayette
    Here's a hypothetical situation, because what would INGO be without a twist in the thread like this, what if you are pulled over because your vehicle fits the description of a suspect's vehicle that was involved in a crime? You have done nothing wrong, just a coincidence that you are driving in the area in a similar car.

Top Bottom