IN resident going to Chicago - Firearm in vehicle legal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mattinindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Can I legally carry a firearm in my vehicle while traveling to Chicago? I have an IN CC permit. If yes, can it be in glove box, in trunk, can it be loaded etc.? I know it cannot be carried on myself.

thanks

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    NO. It is not lawful to do so under Illinois law.
    That is not true. When IL passed their carry law, part of it was to allow out of state Licensed gun owners to carry their loaded weapons in their cars in IL.

You can carry it on you, in the glove box or wherever while in the car. It has to be out of sight and at least in a locked vehicle if you get out.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    :noway:
    That is not true. When IL passed their carry law, part of it was to allow out of state Licensed gun owners to carry their loaded weapons in their cars in IL.

You can carry it on you, in the glove box or wherever while in the car. It has to be out of sight and at least in a locked vehicle if you get out.
    This is correct IIRR. :yesway:

cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    You are very wrong please don't post information if you're not sure.

This is correct you can carry it on your person while in your vehicle. When you do exit it must be locked up. To add some information you do not have to inform until you are asked then you must.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Yep. I (among others) recently posted the enrolled act that was signed into law in Illinois. Along with making provisions for concealed carry license issuance it also laid out the conditions under which a concealed weapon license holder from another state could possess a firearm while in the vehicle in the state of IL. You'll want to read it yourself, but in short an LTCH holder from Indiana can keep their handgun loaded and in their possession (hip, glovebox, center console, duct taped to forehead) so long as they do not step out of their vehicle. BEFORE stepping out of the vehicle (and this is why you will wanted read the enrolled Act and pay particular attention to the wording) you would need to secure your handgun in the manner prescribed in the ACT. So no getting out and walking around to the back of your car to secure it in the trunk. It must be secured before you leave the car.

output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    Yep. I (among others) recently posted the enrolled act that was signed into law in Illinois. Along with making provisions for concealed carry license issuance it also laid out the conditions under which a concealed weapon license holder from another state could possess a firearm while in the vehicle in the state of IL. You'll want to read it yourself, but in short an LTCH holder from Indiana can keep their handgun loaded and in their possession (hip, glovebox, center console, duct taped to forehead) so long as they do not step out of their vehicle. BEFORE stepping out of the vehicle (and this is why you will wanted read the enrolled Act and pay particular attention to the wording) you would need to secure your handgun in the manner prescribed in the ACT. So no getting out and walking around to the back of your car to secure it in the trunk. It must be secured before you leave the car.

This is correct. You may carry (in your vehicle) so long as you have a license. If you do not have a license. It better be unloaded in a case or your glove box/center console. I would put it in a case if I did not have a carry license.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You can take it to the trunk if you unload it first. Here is the relevant part of the law and a link to the law itself for anyone that needs it.
    Section 40. Non-resident license applications.
    (e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
    (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
    (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act. If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

Section 65
    (b) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (a-5), and (a-10) ofthis Section except under paragraph (22) or (23) of subsection
    (a), any licensee prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm into the parking area of a prohibited location specified in subsection (a), (a-5), or (a-10) of this Section shall be permitted to carry a concealed firearm on or about his or her person within a vehicle into the parking area and may store a firearm or ammunition concealed in a case within a locked vehicle or locked container out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area. A licensee may carry a concealed firearm in the immediate area surrounding his or her vehicle
    within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving a firearm within the vehicle's trunk, provided the licensee ensures the concealed firearm is unloaded prior to exiting the vehicle. For purposes of this subsection, "case" includes a glove compartment or console that completely encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition, the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container.
    http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/publicacts/98/PDF/098-0063.pdf

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have this discussion every month with a friend that is a gun guy. His source is a Chicago LE who claims he will make an arrest. Carry the statue, be careful and obey traffic laws. I carry in my car every time I go to Illinois. Be smart.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Can I legally carry a firearm in my vehicle while traveling to Chicago? I have an IN CC permit.

Where did you get this IN CC permit? All's I could find was an IN LTCH... Sorry someone had to do it and I was surprised it wasn't done yet.

True, it is against the law with an IN CC Permit, because there is no such animal. Perfectly legal with an IN LTCH

Top Bottom