• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    As a carryover from another thread, I would like to clarify what I was talking about, and see if I could understand what the other guys were saying. At about the 2:44 clip of this video you will see what I mean by shoulder transfer and then a transition to handgun.

http://www.youtube.com/user/warriortalk?blend=12&ob=5

Most of the vid is a quick demo of some of TSD's new combat sytems and epuipment.

Last edited:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The challenges I had were mainly when I started with the rifle slung. As would be typical for a right handed shooter, I had the sling over my right shoulder, and under my left arm pit. There was minimal slack in the sling to hold the rifle close to my body and high on the body.

When going for the transition from left to right, I wasn't able to put enough slack in the sling to be able to get the gun positioned well on my left shoulder. The sling would come tight around my neck.

What I ended up doing was popping the sling out from under my left arm, which then gave me plenty of freedom of movement. It wasn't quite as smooth as this, but similar. Also, I wasn't using this sling, but a Troy CQB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_sfyw-mOMc&feature=player_embedded

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Gotcha. Not trying to be a smart butt here, if I was going to wear my sling, I would just use a single point. I do see your issue for transfers though. I had a student last month with the same issue, add to that the fact that he was using a chest rig, and it was compounded.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Gotcha. Not trying to be a smart butt here, if I was going to wear my sling, I would just use a single point. I do see your issue for transfers though. I had a student last month with the same issue, add to that the fact that he was using a chest rig, and it was compounded.

I've thought about the single point, and actually did try one out. It made transitions a lot better, but I felt like I had a little less control over the rifle when slung, and it had a tendency to cover my feet (more than with a 2point) and hit me in the groin when moving.

With a little practice I think I'll be able to work out the transition piece. Getting the left arm out of the sling helps a lot.

I'm the first shooter in this video. It is a wide angle shot, so doesn't show me momentarily get caught up in the sling, but if you look for it around 18s you can see me double pump trying to get the slack in the sling. Also, this was the first run doing the transition, and this was the one where I tried to leave the sling under my left arm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbsE6Yo_0NQ&list=PLF4DD6A1D7EBEADB4&index=5

Oh, and pay no mind to the final two shots after I went dry with both my carbine and pistol. I was debating on switching to "pocket knife" and did manage to reload and pump 2 more rounds into the last target. Turns out I didn't really need to shoot that last target anyway, but I felt better. :)

I'm the last shooter in this video (I start around 2:05) and get the left arm out of the sling and had what I thought was a better transition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWKINGyQ23g&feature=bf_prev&list=PLF4DD6A1D7EBEADB4&lf=bf_prev

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    For sure better in the second one. I am not trying to talk you out of the two point, I much prefer them to a single point.

The advice is much appreciated! :ingo:

I think I need to work on my technique a bit more so that I can make that transition a bit smoother. If I can do that, I think I'll be happy to stay with my 2pt.

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    the proper use of a single point can still give good control over the long gun without it covering your feet.

Top Bottom