• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Ok, I'm in the market for a folder and I want to know what questions I need to ask myself to help me pick the right one. Here's a little information I have to get myself started.

1. Cost around 125.
    2. No serrations.
    3. I carry an ESEE 6 with my EDC, so I have fixed blade coverage.
    4. ?

I appreciate every bit of input I can get into making a good decision and ultimately I know I will have to handle them but I would like to have my choices narrowed down to a handful before I start that bit of the process.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    OP first knife that came to mind was ZT350. A very solid knife and a great warranty. Get with Bradsknives and he would be able to get one of these in your hands. Although you said around $125 the ZT350 may be a little more, can't remember the price off the top of my head.

netlander10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I have a benchmade 710 that i really like, also i carry an emerson Raven that has been an excellent EDC but it is more than 125.00. Just my input.
    By the way these both have a partial serrated edges and i have used those serrations way more thtan i ever thought i would! They are handy.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Will this be your edc?
    What blade length and overall length?
    Manual or assist opening?
    What type of steel?

:twocents:

Yes, I will be adding this to me EDC and thinking on it I would prefer a pocket clip or a holster for it. I have enough crap floating around in my pockets.

Blade length 3-4 inches I think, oal at 6-8 I guess.

Assisted, or if not assisted a very smooth non gritty action.

I know very little of steel and would defer to the experts on this.

I'm currently using a Kershaw I picked up many years ago and recently found, it's got a black blade and a onion on it or maybe it's garlic.... One of the two... Well I guess currently carrying is wrong my wife let her mom use it and I'm not sure where it went, no one can seem to remember.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    OP first knife that came to mind was ZT350. A very solid knife and a great warranty. Get with Bradsknives and he would be able to get one of these in your hands. Although you said around $125 the ZT350 may be a little more, can't remember the price off the top of my head.

I'm flexible on the price but I prefer to spend money on fixed blades, folders have their uses and I need one but I'm not wanting to break the bank on it.

I have a benchmade 710 that i really like, also i carry an emerson Raven that has been an excellent EDC but it is more than 125.00. Just my input.
    By the way these both have a partial serrated edges and i have used those serrations way more thtan i ever thought i would! They are handy.

my previous had serrations and I hated them, no, serrations are a no go on my future folding edc.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Yes, I will be adding this to me EDC and thinking on it I would prefer a pocket clip or a holster for it. I have enough crap floating around in my pockets.

Blade length 3-4 inches I think, oal at 6-8 I guess.

Assisted, or if not assisted a very smooth non gritty action.

I know very little of steel and would defer to the experts on this.

I'm currently using a Kershaw I picked up many years ago and recently found, it's got a black blade and a onion on it or maybe it's garlic.... One of the two... Well I guess currently carrying is wrong my wife let her mom use it and I'm not sure where it went, no one can seem to remember.

ZT350 fits those needs pretty much to a tee. I think they sell around the $150 range so a little more than your stated price. Well worth it in my opinion though.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Some of these knife manufacturer websites need a serious overhaul. It's horrible finding anything on most of these. Even more reason to fall back on INGO to help narrow down the search.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    There are some excellent suggestions in this thread.

The ZT0350, Spyderco ParaMilitary, and Spyderco Manix 2 can all be bought within your budget. For some reason the ParaMilitary models are hard to get at this moment.

The Benchmade 710D2 and Emerson Raven, while excellent knives, will go over your planned budget.

For Benchmade, you might want to consider the Benchmade Griptilian models (manual opening) and the Benchmade Barrage models (assisted opening).

For Kershaw, take a look at the Rake model with the composite blade and the Blur models. I currently have limited edition Blur models with the upgraded steel (CPM 154) instead of the standard Sandvik steel.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Well, looking through all those. I think as far as looks go I like the ZT0350, Benchmade 710D2, and the Kershaw Blur. I'd want to handle each and see how they fit my hand, may turn out none of them will do, you never know with folders I've had some very uncomfortable ones in the past.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone so far. Of those three the Blur looks like it might be the most comfortable to handle but I'll have to wait to find out.

slidemuzik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    CRKT M16 and M21 designed by Kit Carson. Many choices in blade type, shape, colors, size. They are open designs that are easy to clean and lightweight.

For assisted opening I really like the Kershaw Tanto Blur for a beefier blade and the Sog Trident Tanto for a leaner blade. The SOG has a built in slot that makes a neat cord cutter that utilizes the blade without opening the knife. Neat design.

I'm partial to tanto design blades for strength. I tend not to break the tip off them, and that flat part makes a great scraper like a razor blade or chisel.

If you'll forgive me for wandering off a moment on blade shapes, check the shape of the CRKT fixed blade ultima knife. It is a mix of designs. Tanto tip with a slight katana like swooped belly and the top half of the blade is tapered like a dagger. A personal favorite. Back to the original program.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    My EDC is a Gerber Torch II Tanto. For the money (less than $50) it is hard to beat. While I realize that the knife really may not be in the same class as some of these others it has served me well. It does have serrations.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Zero Tolerance makes a damn fine knife, and the 0350 would serve you well. Benchmade Griptillian is also a winner, as well as the Spyderco Manic. Both have an extremely strong Axis style lock, and sport good steel in the blade.

nightgaunt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Rural St Joe County
    I will second the Spyderco Manix 2. Carried mine for over a year on the job, and put it through the paces. Easy to sharpen 154 steel, and great utility blade shape. If it was a full flat grind (like to originals), it would be a bit better, though. You can find them for a lot less than your price point.

Top Bottom