• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I would like to get a 7.62 suppressor for my Remington 700 AAC-SD .308. I am new to class 3. I would like something that meets in the middle as far as price and sound level reduction.

Any recommendations for brand/model and dealer? :dunno:

I am just outside the north edge of Terre Haute. Will travel for the right deal.

Looking forward to adding my $200 stamp to Ingo's total.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It is my understanding as a non NFA guro that the main thing you gain by the more expensive suppressors is less POI shift. You do gain some sound reduction, but from what I understand you cant really hear the difference.

I have a YHM titanium phantom with QD thread. Its the only 308 can ive messed with so im not qualified to say "its a great can for the price" or anything like that, but Im happy with it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I too am seriously considering a 30cal can...

Price (and availability) is right for the Huntertown Kestrel 308...but I'm really thinking a Ti can for weight. Seriously looking into the SAS Arbiter and really have my eyes on the Reaper...but seems like the only place that has them in stock is Mile High out in Colorado, and it kinda sucks to be out basically a grand for 6 months for a Form 4, plus another 2-3 for the Form 3 to clear before you can even send the Form 4 off.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I noticed that the YHM Phantom 7.62 can be screwed onto a $90 adaptor (YHM factory part) and the 7.62 Phantom can be used on a AR15 (5.56) also. That might not be a bad deal for me. They are pricey but not more expensive than buying 2 for the 2 different calibers in other brands of suppressors.

How does it work if I by a supressor off a out of state dealer then have to got through a local class 3 dealer to have it transferred to me? Do I have to pay for 2 tax stamps(dealer to dealer then to me) to get it or just one?

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    You can shoot 5.56 thru any 7.62 can.....not an exclusive deal for YHM.

You best bet on a suppressor will always be to find what you want in stock at an in state dealer.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I too am seriously considering a 30cal can...

Price (and availability) is right for the Huntertown Kestrel 308...but I'm really thinking a Ti can for weight. Seriously looking into the SAS Arbiter and really have my eyes on the Reaper...but seems like the only place that has them in stock is Mile High out in Colorado, and it kinda sucks to be out basically a grand for 6 months for a Form 4, plus another 2-3 for the Form 3 to clear before you can even send the Form 4 off

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    My recommendation, as always, goes to huntertown. You can pay a lot more for a lot less can.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Yes, most 5.56 are threaded 1/2x28. You get a adaptor that changes that to 5/8x24 and thread on your 7.62 suppressor and your GTG.

In the case of the YHM QD suppressor you but a QD mount threaded for 5/8x24 or 1/2x28.
    Roger That.

Is it me or is this as bad as a woman shopping for shoes? Too manny to choose from and who knows which suck and which ones fit the bill. When "you" are paying out that kind of money "you" want something that meets the needs/wants and dont want to get one that doesn't. Its not like you can just walk up and "try it on".

praff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Yes, most 5.56 are threaded 1/2x28. You get a adaptor that changes that to 5/8x24 and thread on your 7.62 suppressor and your GTG.

In the case of the YHM QD suppressor you but a QD mount threaded for 5/8x24 or 1/2x28.

I am very happy with my YHM phantom 7.62 can and swap it on a few weapons. Works well on my 308 AR and very well on my 12.5" and 16" AR uppers. You just have to use the YHM mounts for each weapon. The 7.62 can will fit on the 5.56 mounts. My can seems to work as advertised, but is pretty heavy (I have the stainless version). Also, I can tell you that my POI shift on my 308 AR is somewhere around 3 inches lower suppressed vs un-suppressed.

There is one caveat in swapping between 5.56 and 7.62.....I have had issues with my can being very difficult to remove on a couple of occasions. I had to put my 308 AR uppper in a vice block and use a strap wrench to get it off. After a little research I found out it is due to shooting first on a 5.56 weapon, then moving it to a 7.62 weapon. As I understand it, carbon can build up inside the can as the 5.56 mount is shorter than the 7.62. Then that carbon causes the can to get stuck on the longer 7.62 flash hider. I have the 1st generation mounting system, but I understand they have tried to address this on the newer mounts.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Roger That.

Is it me or is this as bad as a woman shopping for shoes? Too manny to choose from and who knows which suck and which ones fit the bill. When "you" are paying out that kind of money "you" want something that meets the needs/wants and dont want to get one that doesn't. Its not like you can just walk up and "try it on".

It is, that's why I found a dealer I trusted (Profire arms for me, but MS Armament, and SSNFA come to mind as others I would trust) and said "I want to do X and X and X. I have Y dollars to spend, tell me what I need and sell it to me" I provide that service on scopes, and have a "GUY" for about everything firearms related because its hard to be at the very top of what new in the firearms industry.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom