• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I am in the market for a 9mm. My short list includes G26, Ruger SR9C and Beretta 92. Concealability is a strong consideration. Price is also a concern. Other suggestions for consideration are welcome. What say you?

I don't have much to add...

1. I second the M&P9c recommendation. One of the things I like about it is that the thumb safety is similar to a 1911 thumb safety, so that makes it easier for those of us accustomed to shooting John Browning's masterpiece.

2. I was looking at G26 vs. G19, and I think I would have gone with G19. Both are about the same thickness, and the G19 is more comfortable to hold and to shoot (or so it felt to me anyway). It's only slightly bigger.

3. If cost is a concern, you might want to look at the Taurus clone of the Beretta.

If you really want to conceal, you might want to look into single stack 9mm handguns (Kahr CW9, Ruger LC9, Keltec (really cheap), Beretta something).

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

Da Bing

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I have a 92 fs and a new LC9. The 92 is great to shoot but challenging to conceal in summer. The LC9 however practically disappears even in light clothes. Both are cheap and fun to shoot.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    What no love for the Meatwad Tanfoglio? Very accurate, high capacity and very affordable. Can usually be found for around $240 off of gunbroker.

images

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I have also added the Bersa Thunder 9uc to the list. I have a Bersa .380 and have been more than pleased with its performance and reliability. Don't know why this wasn't on my list to start with.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The Bersa 9uc is another solid compact choice. Not as well known and more of a basic, economy model, but very good. The biggest complaint that I'm aware of is that the finish wears more easily.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    One thing I'd add as a side-note for your list is looking at the availability of extra mags and other stuff like holsters and the odd spare parts. Glock wins in those categories, hands down, and while several guns listed are fantastic shooters nothing can kill the joy of a new piece like the pain of trying to find extra mags that don't cost $50 ea.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I saw a Glock 27 at my local gun store the other day and am highly impressed. It feels great. I ruled it out, for right now, because I want a weapon I can afford to shoot as much as possible. I want to become as proficient as possible otherwise what's the point. My revised short list does include the G26 and that is partially because of the availability and affordability of the other accoutrements I will need.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Went to Bradis yesterday and got to handle about every 9mm in the store. They didn't have what I really wanted to I ended up going way over budget and getting a Sig P238. Now I will sell my Bersa .380 and use that money towards a Bersa uc9.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Got an opportunity to shoot my buddy's SR9C. Wow! what a sweet shooting gun. The choice is back to three. The SR9C, the M&P9 and the Bersa UC9. Decisions, decisions...

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'm a big fan of the CZs in 9mm. The gun on my hip right now is a CZ 75 Compact. I recently added night sights which made it all the better for me. The CZ grip angle is about the same as a 1911 which makes it a very comfortable gun for me to shoot. It also allows carry in condition 1.

There are a bunch of CZ clones that are worth considering too. I have an Armalite AR24K that I like a lot. The CZ and CZ clones I have are easily the most comfortable guns I have to shoot. They are heavier than some, but I like a heavy gun. A good holster can make a heavier gun as easy to carry as a light gun, but there is nothing that will make a light gun as easy to shoot as a heavier gun.

Update: Just saw your last post about the Sig 238. Congrats on that. I carry one where ever I go in my front pocket. They are a really nice gun that is small enough to pocket carry, yet still are fun to shoot. You'll love it.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I'm a big fan of the CZs in 9mm. The gun on my hip right now is a CZ 75 Compact. I recently added night sights which made it all the better for me. The CZ grip angle is about the same as a 1911 which makes it a very comfortable gun for me to shoot. It also allows carry in condition 1.

There are a bunch of CZ clones that are worth considering too. I have an Armalite AR24K that I like a lot. The CZ and CZ clones I have are easily the most comfortable guns I have to shoot. They are heavier than some, but I like a heavy gun. A good holster can make a heavier gun as easy to carry as a light gun, but there is nothing that will make a light gun as easy to shoot as a heavier gun.

Update: Just saw your last post about the Sig 238. Congrats on that. I carry one where ever I go in my front pocket. They are a really nice gun that is small enough to pocket carry, yet still are fun to shoot. You'll love it.
    What do you think of the PCR? I would prefer a compact.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What do you think of the PCR? I would prefer a compact.

There was one at Bradis the other day that I had a chance to play with for a minute. Overall, I liked it a lot except for the decocker. I prefer to carry in condition 1 and the decocker does not allow that to be done safely. Other than that, I liked it a lot. It's about the same size as my compacts but a lot lighter. For myself, I like a heavier gun, but an aluminum frame is not too light. If not for the decocker, I might have brought it home.

There's another clone I'm keeping my eye out for that's called the Canik C100B. It's another CZ 75 Compact clone, but like the PCR, has an aluminum frame. The main difference is that it has a safety instead of a decocker. Tough to find though.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Got an opportunity to shoot my buddy's SR9C. Wow! what a sweet shooting gun. The choice is back to three. The SR9C, the M&P9 and the Bersa UC9. Decisions, decisions...

Were you planning on getting the M&P with or without a thumb safety?

I loved my Bersa 9UC, but decided to get away from the manual safety for EDC. After 8+ hours of a training class, flipping that safety On and Off, over and over and over again, I decided I wanted passive safeties and bought an XD9sc.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I am a 1911 guy so thumb safeties are natural for me. In fact, I prefer them. I don't seem to be able to find all that I want in any 9mm. I guess I am too picky. The things I am looking for:

Must be a 9mm.
    No DAO
    A manual safety
    Magazine capacity of at least 10. More is better.
    A compact frame
    A gun capable of firing a variety of different SD rounds.
    Easy to find accessories such as holsters, magazines and grips.
    Three dot sights.

Have any suggestions?

Top Bottom