Incandescent light bulb ban goes into effect August 1st…

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Crap I forgot about this. My basement has 20+ something can lights and there's about 5 BR40 bulbs that are out and I'm fresh out of incandescents :( LED BR40's are not cheap.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I've always kept extra light bulbs around as if you don't have both bulbs and electricity, you are in the dark. Probably need to increase the inventory. Like BBI was mentioning I'm wondering if there will be an underground market in the future that deals in old tech now banned by the government.
    I'm holding out for sensible government and the repeal of onerous legislation

Like EVs, LED bulbs certainly should be a part of the mix but government should not be deciding what I can and cannot buy

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Heating element? Seriously perhaps they will never be the same.

Yeah, with a 375 max temperature now. I suspect some product designer got fed up with pretending to enjoy light bulb cooked spongey chocolate goo and figured it was time for his kids to make some real cookies. I am a little curious as to how they managed to make it child safe, but I haven't heard of massive lawsuits so they must have.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Yeah, with a 375 max temperature now. I suspect some product designer got fed up with pretending to enjoy light bulb cooked spongey chocolate goo and figured it was time for his kids to make some real cookies. I am a little curious as to how they managed to make it child safe, but I haven't heard of massive lawsuits so they must have.
    Was thinking the same thing. Guessing they are not high tech enough to have a locking device that engages until the unit cools down.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Buy once* cry once.

*Hopefully
    That is that is what all the ads keep saying, they last forever. That has not been my experience. I have been in this house 11 years. Every CFL bulb has been replaced several times, Every LED bulb has been replaced several times.

The oversized globe 100 watt incandescent above my kitchen table Just got replaced the first time. It is usually dimmed to about 75%

When I moved here I had a case of USA made 60 watt GE bulbs, They lasted for years. The 3rd world GE incandescent bulbs are clearly not the same quality, and some only last for weeks.

I'll defend anyone's rights to make their own choice, but that choice should never be done by Congress or the resident chump of the white house.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    The turn signals "hyperblink", unless a resistor is installed, or the LED has a resistor built in.

I tried both methods.
    That is ironic, isn't it. To make the energy saving LED usable, a load resistor that wastes electricity in the form of heat, has to be used, negating any energy benefit.

...and you get to pay more.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    That is ironic, isn't it. To make the energy saving LED usable, a load resistor that wastes electricity in the form of heat, has to be used, negating any energy benefit.

...and you get to pay more.
    You're not serious, are you? You don't know that an incadescent bulb wastes 90% of its energy to produce heat instead of light? I mean, have you unscrewed a light bulb shortly after turning it off?

LED bulbs are 6 to 7 times more efficient than incadescents of the same light output. There is some heat loss with any type of electric light source, but saying that the amount of heat that an LED bulb produces negates any energy benefit is absurd.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You're not serious, are you? You don't know that an incadescent bulb wastes 90% of its energy to produce heat instead of light? I mean, have you unscrewed a light bulb shortly after turning it off?

LED bulbs are 6 to 7 times more efficient than incadescents of the same light output. There is some heat loss with any type of electric light source, but saying that the amount of heat that an LED bulb produces negates any energy benefit is absurd.
    Yes, I know Ohms law. I even remember Kirchhoff power factor and those rules.
    You missed the verbage about needing a load resistor.

If it takes a load resistor to allow the LED to simulate the current consumption of a light bulb to function in the circuit, that resistor will waste the same as an incandescent light bulb. That pretty much uses up any energy benefit AND costs more.

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Yes, I know Ohms law.
    If it takes a load resistor to allow the LED to simulate the current consumption of a light bulb to function in the circuit, that resistor will waste the same as an incandescent light bulb. That pretty much uses up any energy benefit AND costs more.
    No, it doesn't. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. An LED bulb consumes 7-9 watts to make the same light output as a 60 watt incandescent. I'm not sure how using 7-9 watts of energy is not an energy benefit over the same light output using 60 watts.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    No, it doesn't. This is not an opinion, it's a fact. An LED bulb consumes 7-9 watts to make the same light output as a 60 watt incandescent. I'm not sure how using 7-9 watts of energy is not an energy benefit over the same light output using 60 watts.
    You are still missing the automotive problem that I responded to stating the circuits needed to see a light bulb sized load to function, no matter what the light source may be.

"Load resistor" I know my EET is old, but we really did have electricity and light bulbs back then. I am pretty sure I got an A in DC circuit fundamentals.

Your "fact" may fit in a different conversation, but it is misapplied here.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are still missing the automotive problem that I responded to stating the circuits needed to see a light bulb sized load to function, no matter what the light source may be.

Your "fact" may fit in a different conversation, but it is misapplied here.
    I suspect you two are talking past each other, referring to totally different systems.

You are both correct. But in totally different scenarios. One is talking 110vac systems, the other 12vdc automotive systems.

Top Bottom