• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You mean you guys don't wear clothes with pockets to bed? You need to have something to put a spare mag and flashlight in.

And you'd be surprised on the number of troublemakers we have here in town. Not to mention the past breakins.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    First things first, you should have awakened your wife as you was getting out of bed so she can not only protect herself, but to not follow in your footsteps later and a causing you to mistake her for a BG who you had missed.

Second thing, lights on in the house in the night.

I consider this a cardinal no-no, instead try and keep Barney in with you, or gate the hallway (you'll see why later).

Install motion detectors inside at key strategic locations, this would be a instant indicator that you have a intruder in a certain area.

"Cut the pie"

Use the corner of a wall, door entry or hallway to your advantage as cover, and keep your firearm in a ready position at all times by peeking around a little at a time to see just a little more of the room in question. It's a whole lot easier for you to shoot around a corner than them to shoot through it at you, or else they have to fully expose themselves to get a shot at you.

It's your home, you know the layout, use the darkness to your advantage.

In my home, I'll stay in the bedroom (while the wife calls 911) because I have a 30 foot long hallway and it's very hard to see down it lighted ittle alone in the dark, so I can see them, but they can't see me because unless they run in and start flipping on light switches at every room. A big no-no if you don't want me drawing a really good bead on them.

scionxb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    columbia city
    Other than letting the wife know, sounds like you did pretty good to me. Sounds like that dog is smart and protective,, and u were well prepaired.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    First, my wife was awake. That's why I said she stays in the bedroom. And I do keep 2 additional guns in the bedroom.

You gave me an idea to look into. Motion detectors. That's a very good idea.

First things first, you should have awakened your wife as you was getting out of bed so she can not only protect herself, but to not follow in your footsteps later and a causing you to mistake her for a BG who you had missed.

Second thing, lights on in the house in the night.

I consider this a cardinal no-no, instead try and keep Barney in with you, or gate the hallway (you'll see why later).

Install motion detectors inside at key strategic locations, this would be a instant indicator that you have a intruder in a certain area.

"Cut the pie"

Use the corner of a wall, door entry or hallway to your advantage as cover, and keep your firearm in a ready position at all times by peeking around a little at a time to see just a little more of the room in question. It's a whole lot easier for you to shoot around a corner than them to shoot through it at you, or else they have to fully expose themselves to get a shot at you.

It's your home, you know the layout, use the darkness to your advantage.

In my home, I'll stay in the bedroom (while the wife calls 911) because I have a 30 foot long hallway and it's very hard to see down it lighted ittle alone in the dark, so I can see them, but they can't see me because unless they run in and start flipping on light switches at every room. A big no-no if you don't want me drawing a really good bead on them.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    First, my wife was awake. That's why I said she stays in the bedroom. And I do keep 2 additional guns in the bedroom.

You gave me an idea to look into. Motion detectors. That's a very good idea.

Well, you have a dog, so motion detectors might pose a problem.

Glad to hear you didn't leave your wife without. :yesway:

I say you did good, but maybe clearing the entire room would have been a little more safe.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    In my opinion, your only major error was not giving Barney a treat. He earned at least 2-3 Pupperonis or Beggin Strips.
    ^^most definitely^^

There are 10 million more details that you didn't write, but that's because you're also not writing a novel on here. Your senses picked up a lot more than you could ever put into words on here, so we'll have to trust your judgment on that.

Room clearing...I wouldn't have cleared anything if Barney was at the front door and audibly unharmed. He's the one who has been awake, he's the one who knows where the threat is. I would have checked a back door for a second intruder first.

For the front of the house, where he detected a threat, I would have ignored the front door, exiting the house through the back. With this, you will flank your threat should he/she still be in your front yard.

With your light, I would have used it sparingly. When we enter a house at night, we have been trained to use it in flashes. On and off again. On, sweep, off and move...when turning it on, keep your recessive eye closed, and your dominant open. When the light is off, open both eyes. This will help you retain some semblance of night vision.

+1 pie the corners
    +1 two weapons with the awake Mrs.
    +1 trusting your dog
    +1 million remembering to grab your ammo and light

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    To me that would seem like a perfect target to just fire in the direction of the light

but i think you did great and barney too give him a steak

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Before I tell you what you should of done I need to ask some questions..
    You say you "tucked your elbow in" which elbow was it? and where you wearing shoes? if so what kind/brand and color..if not, where you wearing socks? if so what color and ankle socks or calf socks? if no socks where being worn then I need to ask,where your toe nails trimmed?
    And when you pulled your "glock 19 from the holster" did you grasp the holster with your left hand and extract the weapon with your right hand or vise versa?
    Thanks

Top Bottom