Ind. ruling halts caregiver choices based on race (Indiana leading the way??)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ind. ruling halts caregiver choices based on race - Yahoo! News

The article says that this case out of Indiana may lead the way/be citied by other court cases across he nation. Kool I think for Indiana. Not sure I care for the decision. In a nutshell the court is saying that the patient's request to not be treated by someone of a certain race, races does not have to be honored.

Hum.. I'm the one in the nursing home/assisted living home. So I'm paying for a service in that "home" so I should have every right to say what I want, do not want. If I don't want a male/female, white/brown/black/red caregiver/doc/nurse even thought that "person" is the BEST in the world then that is MY choice! But the court is saying no it is not. Hum...

---
    NWI INGO MEMBERS
    Get the latest news by joining the NWI INGO group here:
    INGunOwners - Northwest Indiana

The next MEET & EAT is on 28 AUG 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo_meet_and_eat_oc_cc_-_sat_28_aug_10_a.html

The next MEET & SHOOT is on 18 SEP 10 (sign up!)
    See here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._ingo_meet_and_shoot_-_sat_18_sep_2010_a.html

Appleseed for NWI
    Need help on finding a location see here for more info:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...d_for_nwi_lake_porter_county.html#post1216426

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If the racism effects the chances of the caregiver to work (you can certainly make that case), then it definitely violates equal rights. This is more of a generational issue, many of these people are literally passing away, like the ex Klan member Senator Byrd.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks shoooter521,

Yes the court in this case is ruling that the patient does not have the right to choose based on race what "caregiver" s/he uses. Yet the court has allowed a patient to choose to have a "doctor" based on sex (ie. I am male so I want only a male doctor).

So is the court not being "unfair" or "uneven" on this? After all is it not that you can not discriminate based on age, sex, relgion, gender? Yet in the 2 cases above you can based on sex but not on race? But "race" is not protected under the law? Plus as far as I knew it was a biz that can not discriminate but now they seem to be applying that to an individual?

Ie. I the patient am being told I have no choice in who gives me care, even though I have told them I do not want ABC.

So the only recourse I as a patitent see is taking my biz elsewhere and going to a "home" that will follow my orders for the services I am paying for. Yet if all the "homes" are the same (per this ruling) then I have no choice due to the ruling. That is the delima I see.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    If I'm a patient somewhere, it probably means that i need help that I can't provide my self nearly as well. In that instance, I couldn't give two ****s if a Unicorn and Skelator were working on me. I want fixed. If you really have a problem with someones skin color who is tending to you, take your broke ass somewhere less colorful. Good luck with that by the way as its 2010.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Patient rights comes with a price and that price can be expensive. Anyone who is utilizing insurance -- in most cases -- has no guaranteed right to be treated by any specific caregiver based on race, color, gender, religion, etc. If the person is paying out-of-pocket (i,e,. Amex Black Card), they can choose to have whomever they want to serve them.

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Nursing homes are very expensive, most people end up on Medicaid during their stay if they live long enough at these places.

The Gender issue is more to allow women to choose women doctors so that they can feel more secure when undergoing an examination. Male doctors are very often accompanied by a female staff member during certain exams in order to make the patient feel comfortable and to keep the possibility of goofy patients claiming they were molested by the male doctor (it's uncommon to make claims of this sort against female doctors.)

If patients want to be treated by members of a certain race they should go to facilities that employ these people, otherwise forget it.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    If I'm a patient somewhere, it probably means that i need help that I can't provide my self nearly as well. In that instance, I couldn't give two ****s if a Unicorn and Skelator were working on me. I want fixed. If you really have a problem with someones skin color who is tending to you, take your broke ass somewhere less colorful. Good luck with that by the way as its 2010.

You do NOT want Skeletor working on you IMO.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    This is bad bad bad bad news... Patients choice should be respected and accepted.

I've seen the CNA field, and it is scary. Some of the stories I've heard of CNAs treating they're people is disgusting, unless you like verbal abuse, physical abuse etc..

Just another example of the "Freedom" America not respecting the wishes of the people in favor of some failed agenda.

I say let's just drive this nail into the coffin and start allowing criminals to "take care" of those who need help.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This is bad bad bad bad news... Patients choice should be respected and accepted.

I've seen the CNA field, and it is scary. Some of the stories I've heard of CNAs treating they're people is disgusting, unless you like verbal abuse, physical abuse etc..

Just another example of the "Freedom" America not respecting the wishes of the people in favor of some failed agenda.

I say let's just drive this nail into the coffin and start allowing criminals to "take care" of those who need help.

If I get the jist of this ruling, you still can ask for a different caregiver, just not based soley on race... all your points above have to do with poor service, I would say that getting a different caregiver would be a non issue.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    all your points above have to do with poor service,

No, he just believes that certain people are predisposed to it.

This reminds me of an episode of Mash where a wounded soldier told Alan Alda that he didn't want any (opposite of lightie) blood. They gave it to him anyway. Myself, I probably would have let the soldier die.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    If I get the jist of this ruling, you still can ask for a different caregiver, just not based soley on race... all your points above have to do with poor service, I would say that getting a different caregiver would be a non issue.

Would if certain caregivers had sterotypical treatment they give, some being poor, other's being by the rules and regulations?

My wife has worked in the field, and the stories I've heard, that she has witnessed is enough for me atleast to see the Patient has rights, and THEY MUST BE respected and honored.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Who cares what the doctor/caregiver/nurse looks like as long as they are good?

You'd have to be seriously ignorant to ask for a different caregiver based on race alone.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    unless you like verbal abuse, physical abuse etc..

Does the ruling say that patients have to tolerate verbal and physical abuse from caregivers?

I don't see anywhere it says patients have to put up with objectively substandard care. Seems to me they are saying that you don't have the right to decline quality, appropriate care based soley on the caregiver's race.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    (INDY-BRipple)
    Does the ruling say that patients have to tolerate verbal and physical abuse from caregivers?

I don't see anywhere it says patients have to put up with objectively substandard care. Seems to me they are saying that you don't have the right to decline quality, appropriate care based soley on the caregiver's race.

Do you have any experience in the field? Have you researched it?

While it may not be PC for a patient to request, I dont see how a court has the right to rule against the wishes.

Does this violate personal freedoms? Or are we going to tip toe and suggest that because the patient is on ******* they no longer have rights, and deserve to die a rotten death for having the gall to say something?

I think we can either live in our little fantsey lands, or grow up, and see the world isnt quite so PC. As far as WHY the Patient requested, again, I dont see the issue not being in they're favor.

CA: CNA terminated for `slapping' patient: court rejects employee's charge of discrimination. (Hospital Law Decisions of Note). | Legal > Legal Services from AllBusiness.com
    Nursing Home Abuse: CNA punches, slaps nursing home patient in face | Beasley Allen
    Nurses Aide Admits Slapping Patient
    ScienceDirect - Social Science & Medicine : Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
    http://www.ltccc.org/enforcements/documents/Enforcements_spring0110_web.pdf
    http://www.newsherald.com/articles/county-78626-elderly-snell.html
    ScienceDirect - International Journal of Nursing Studies : Cross-cultural variations in the definition of child abuse: nurses in the United States and the United Kingdom
    January 2009 :: Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Blog

:rolleyes:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Does the medical facility have a right to refuse care to a patient? If they could tell an ignorant biggot that refuses care from a minority to find care elsewhere, I'd have no problem with it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I support the right to discriminate. If you don't want 6 foot tall Chinese redheads doing the work, you shouldn't have to hire them. We don't need a bunch of laws or judges to do the work of punishing your choices when the free market will do that just fine.

ETA: Of course, in areas where we do not presently have a free market (eg, health care), we should probably address that before going whole-hog on the right to discriminate.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Do you have any experience in the field? Have you researched it?

While it may not be PC for a patient to request, I dont see how a court has the right to rule against the wishes.

Does this violate personal freedoms? Or are we going to tip toe and suggest that because the patient is on ******* they no longer have rights, and deserve to die a rotten death for having the gall to say something?

I think we can either live in our little fantsey lands, or grow up, and see the world isnt quite so PC. As far as WHY the Patient requested, again, I dont see the issue not being in they're favor.

CA: CNA terminated for `slapping' patient: court rejects employee's charge of discrimination. (Hospital Law Decisions of Note). | Legal > Legal Services from AllBusiness.com
    Nursing Home Abuse: CNA punches, slaps nursing home patient in face | Beasley Allen
    Nurses Aide Admits Slapping Patient
    ScienceDirect - Social Science & Medicine : Why do nurses abuse patients? Reflections from South African obstetric services
    http://www.ltccc.org/enforcements/documents/Enforcements_spring0110_web.pdf
    http://www.newsherald.com/articles/county-78626-elderly-snell.html
    ScienceDirect - International Journal of Nursing Studies : Cross-cultural variations in the definition of child abuse: nurses in the United States and the United Kingdom
    January 2009 :: Nursing Home Abuse Lawyer Blog

:rolleyes:

You can link news articles until the cows come home, but what do these individual cases(in all cases the person was fired and/or jailed) have to do with a person refusing quality service? I think we can all agree that those in question(in your links) are definitely not fit to be taking care of anyone, but obviously the victims aren't getting medical help from them anymore.

Basically what I'm saying is I'm having trouble seeing your correlation between those isolated instances and you calling foul on the gov't for telling a patient that they can't refuse quality service?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

I agree.

I think the courts over-stepped their authority in this case, IMHO patients have the right to refuse treatment from anyone for any reason, even if it hurts that care-givers feelings.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom