• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbjenks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was required to visit the BMV to renew my driving license today. There were no signs or gun buster logos. Is CCW legal or not when visiting the BMV?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I was required to visit the BMV to renew my driving license today. There were no signs or gun buster logos. Is CCW legal or not when visiting the BMV?

IANAL, IDSIAHIELN, TINLA.

Not illegal, ergo, legal. If they want to claim otherwise, they will need to cite code. Conversely, however, I don't know if they can insist you leave or face trespassing charges. Legal eagles?

Blessings,
    B

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    IANAL either, but how can you tresspass in a publicly owned building?

Tresspassing by definition is on private property.

Now the BMV may in fact be leasing office space for the building's owner, and that owner may have a beef with CC, but until (s)he, not the BMV, makes it known to you, you are not tresspassing, IMO.

BMV is not on the "the list" AFAIK.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

Now the BMV may in fact be leasing office space for the building's owner, and that owner may have a beef with CC, but until (s)he, not the BMV, makes it known to you, you are not tresspassing, IMO.

Actually, trespassing is just entering or refusing to leave a place you have been asked to leave or previously been denied access to, and which you don't have a contractual interest in. You can trespass anywhere.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

As usual, IANAL, but I don't think the building's owner can dictate such a policy to the tenant. It would be like the owner (or his proxy) telling me, back when I rented, that I couldn't have firearms in my apartment and I don't believe that's legal.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I hope it's legal, because I'm carrying every time I go there.

I know that's right. Lotsa kooks and hotheads are there in a small crowded space. Find a place to stand where you can keep an eye on the crowd and especially anyone who may be getting agitated by the "process". Watch the door for someone bursting in to take revenge for a previous transaction.

No way would I ever be unarmed in a place like that. I don't care what their "rules" are....

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Just remember, most of the larger ones have police on duty when they are there (for one when idiots come in that have warrants out for them, which they do, they nab them. But also to take care of disorderly types). So even if it is legal, you might have an unpleasant LEO encounter if someone freaks out.

chuncky

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I would really like to know if this is legal or not because I carried today and when I got home my friends said it is a government bldg so it wasn't. But I didn't see any signs or anything like that.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    I don't remember for sure, but I think I OCed in there last time I had business there. Would have been June of last year, so I highly doubt I was wearing a jacket.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Just remember, most of the larger ones have police on duty when they are there (for one when idiots come in that have warrants out for them, which they do, they nab them. But also to take care of disorderly types). So even if it is legal, you might have an unpleasant LEO encounter if someone freaks out.
    Totally irrelevant. With this line of thinking we should never carry firearms....because someone could "freak" out and we might have an unpleasant LEO encounter. Come on man......

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Totally irrelevant. With this line of thinking we should never carry firearms....because someone could "freak" out and we might have an unpleasant LEO encounter. Come on man......
    I think it's just a notice that it's more likely in that situation - not that they shouldn't carry to avoid it.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Its not illegal to ccw anywhere except schools in indiana. If your cc you have nothing to worry about anyways because they wont see it. As for oc, same laws, only difference is the owner or manager of the building can ask you to leave.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Its not illegal to ccw anywhere except schools in indiana. If your cc you have nothing to worry about anyways because they wont see it. As for oc, same laws, only difference is the owner or manager of the building can ask you to leave.

I would suggest re-reading Indiana Code on prohibited places to carry. There are a few other areas where carry, OC or CC, is prohibited.

Top Bottom