Indiana Backwoods Bug Out Camping - Free?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    My buddy and I like to do overnighter light bug out bag drills...small bag, tarp shelter, small ranger fire...practice some small bushcraft but leave no trace

Are there any large w odd where we don't have to pay high camping fees to do it? Any free camping lands left?

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Hoosier national is what you need to investigate. Get a big map from a dnr office and plan a trip.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    A lot of Hoosier National Forest is sprinkled with private property. So you need to know where those places are. DNR maps are good, also get some topographical maps. Good way to sharpen your compass skills too. GPS won't always be around.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Morgan Monroe comes to mind
    Yup, Morgoa-Monroe S.F. backcountry area is a nice, big area to do the kinda stuff you're looking to do. Plenty of trails with free parking and admission. You can enter at the parking lot on Low Gap Rd., follow the trails in and bug out to your heart's desire.

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Tecumseh Trail allows back country camping.

http://www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org/assets/Tecumseh_Trail_Guide.pdf

Starts near Martinsville...ends at Lake Monroe. 42 miles...a lot of hikers take their time and do an end to end in 5 days. About 3 miles of the trail are on the roadway near Belmont Indiana. Plenty of water along the way this time of year....bring a couple life straws or a decent water pump.

USDA document on back country water treatments: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5261208.pdf

Last edited:

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    Older thread, but hopefully some of the original posters are still around. My boys have been begging me to take them on a "survival" camping trip. Found this thread and was interested in the two posts mentioning the Morgan Monroe and Charles Deam. I can't find any information on the back country area of Morgan Monroe that was mentioned here other than Low gap trail is in it and one passing reference to overnight stays on that trail.Do you need to register to stay overnight and how busy of an area is it? How far off trail can you really get before hitting another trail or road?..... The Charles Deam I found plenty of info on, but it seems that it is pretty heavily used. Could you realistically expect to get into an area that actually felt like you were alone and weren't in a park?

Bstorm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2015
    Sellersburg
    The Deams Lake area of the Knobstone Trail is also good. There are plenty of hills and valleys to get away to. The lake is pretty dead during the week, but even on weekends the trail is pretty lightly traveled. I've hiked and camped along it a few times. Bring water! or Cache it. It can be a challenge to find it. Good way to test your skills though! Find water! lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Older thread, but hopefully some of the original posters are still around. My boys have been begging me to take them on a "survival" camping trip. Found this thread and was interested in the two posts mentioning the Morgan Monroe and Charles Deam. I can't find any information on the back country area of Morgan Monroe that was mentioned here other than Low gap trail is in it and one passing reference to overnight stays on that trail.Do you need to register to stay overnight and how busy of an area is it? How far off trail can you really get before hitting another trail or road?...

I wonder if that trail is what I passed on Low Gap Rd today? A half dozen or more vehicles parked in a almost hidden pull off parking area in the middle of nowhere? I almost turned around to go find out what the draw was (thinking fishing hole or squirrel heaven.)

Tynimiller

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Osceola
    Now do any of you know if any of these bugout friendly places also allow hunting? Hoosier National I've been to...do they allow camping anywhere? I was under the impression no....been quite a few years though.

Top Bottom