• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    And the talking heads will condescendingly conclude that we backwoods hillbillies just want our kids to grow up stupid. Maybe so, but I'll take stupid over brainwashed any day. :D

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Hey! I resemble that remark.

I say it so often I sometimes mutter it in my sleep. I'm amazed that people still send their children to some strange insecure location to cavort with strange, sometimes dangerous - and always disease-spreading - peers, to be spoon-fed tidbits of factual knowledge dosed with heavy Statist indoctrination. It blows my mind that public education still exists in the 21st century. In an age of information, ignorance is a choice. Deny the State. Secure the safety of your children. Secure the education of your children. Homeschool.

Homeschooling and at worst, private schooling, will become the only viable options as public education becomes more and more dangerous and less and less valuable. Deny the State. Homeschool.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It's a start. Hopefully we don't see it's return as a rebrand/rename, because I know there are supporters of CC who are pushing for that specifically to dupe people.

Oh, yeah, what Roland said. :D

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    The entire education system needs an overhaul from ground up. Teacher unions would be a good next step, this is a good first step. I got 3 in school here in IN and one in TN and some of things their teachers tell them is insane.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Ugh, they need to make up their minds. It's kind of hard to be successful at teaching when the "what" you're supposed to actually teach keeps changing on you. My wife just went through an intensive training on how to teach common core to her special needs kids. That's 40 hours of her life she won't get back.

Politicians can **** up a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'm amazed that people still send their children to some strange insecure location to cavort with strange, sometimes dangerous - and always disease-spreading - peers, to be spoon-fed tidbits of factual knowledge dosed with heavy Statist indoctrination. It blows my mind that public education still exists in the 21st century. In an age of information, ignorance is a choice. Deny the State. Secure the safety of your children. Secure the education of your children. Homeschool.

Some people like the public school they drive their kids to 20 minutes and 3 towns over. There are still good schools, with good teachers and staff.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I vaguely remember some comment about Indiana's standards being stricter/higher than Common Core, anyway. That isn't saying much, though.

Maybe there is hope for us yet.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I vaguely remember some comment about Indiana's standards being stricter/higher than Common Core, anyway. That isn't saying much, though.

Maybe there is hope for us yet.
    They were. Indiana had some of the highest academic standards in the nation. CC is very likely a step backward. But the issue is less about the standards themselves--as pathetic as they are--and more with the source of the standards, the coercion used to get states to implement, and the baggage associated with them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Some people like the public school they drive their kids to 20 minutes and 3 towns over. There are still good schools, with good teachers and staff.

That is true. But the entire concept of public school is wrong on so many levels. And when it comes right down to it, it's just another form of welfare.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Public education is in the like bottom 20% of the nation here...so it sure couldn't hurt. I just hope someone with half a brain come up with the new standards....in the meantime you won't see any of my grandkids in a public school.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Public education is in the like bottom 20% of the nation here...so it sure couldn't hurt. I just hope someone with half a brain come up with the new standards....in the meantime you won't see any of my grandkids in a public school.
    We will probably revert to the ones in place before CC. But the standards aren't even in the top 10 of what makes government schools so bad.

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    What Roland & Ryan said.... Nice to see some piece of good news come across the wires for a change. Just hope they're not ditching CC only to adopt another standard that has strong parallels to it. Public edu is in an abysmal state - I've worked within it for 16 years - can't offer up anything positive to it's credit. It's student warehousing & monitoring that lines the pockets of others.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If you think Public education is bad now, just wait until all the good teachers quit.

Kindergarten teacher: My job is now about tests and data ? not children. I quit.

Then you'll be left with the flunkies or mediocre teachers who can't get a job doing something else.

Education should NOT be run by politicians. Period.

Don't get mad at the politicians. Get mad at generations of teachers whose real passion was coaching a sport, and who passed students who couldn't do the work...because their "passion" was children (especially ones with a good jump shot) - not tests and data.

Decades of the teaching profession's inability to police itself, is why your wife now has to deal with standardized tests. Don't get mad at me...the truth hurts.

Top Bottom