• JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Weeellllll . . . .

Prior lawful act=such things as calling the police, not selling someone an item, making a Freedom of Information Act request, etc.
    d3b0d7ba8d384bd9fb18034e7a767307a5955770c267d242244469ba29d7a7bb.jpg

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    Hello. I have a question about the laws in Indiana (or lack thereof) regarding Brandishing. What constitutes as Brandishing a firearm? Last night I witnessed a situation, and I was wondering what Law Enforcement might have done if they had been called.

Last night I was shopping at a local supermarket, just a little bit after midnight. There were 4 people in line at the register in front of me, 1 man and 3 women. The man was attempting to buy alcohol, but was unable to because the 3 women he was with were all under the age of 21. Federal Law states that retailers cannot sell alcohol to a party unless they are all able to prove they are 21 years old (I work in retail, which is how I know this). After being denied his purchase, the man began yelling at the cashier and lifted up the front of his shirt to show that he was carrying a handgun. A manager was called, the man continued to yell at the employees and manager, and continued to show that he was carrying a weapon.

Eventually the group decided to leave. One of the managers said to him that he might not want to show off that he has a firearm if he is going to be screaming at retail employees, because it might be perceived as a threat. This sent the man into another yelling fit about how he has a conceal and carry permit, and that because he's going to be a cop in a year he knows the laws about carrying firearms. Finally, the group left, making snarky comments all the way out the door.

So my question is, does his actions constitute as brandishing a firearm? Do you think police should have been called? Thank you for your input and time!

Sad that a jerk like this tarnishes good, safe, reasonable firearm owners. And this idiot is going to be a cop? Not for long, if he acts like that.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Generally, I agree with BBI- he pretty much nailed it. We have Pointing a Firearm as a class A misdemeanor, if I'm not mistaken. This scenario seems to more closely match Intimidation, maybe an F6 felony. However, I feel there could be a case made for an Intimidation charge here. But, IANAL, yadda, yadda, yadda. Some people suck.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...Federal Law states that retailers cannot sell alcohol to a party unless they are all able to prove they are 21 years old (I work in retail, which is how I know this).

The link you provided did not say this although it may be buried deeper. Sounds more like a store policy than a law.

...the 3 women he was with were all under the age of 21...

Well this thread is useless without pics. Girls Gone Wild? Barely Legal? Drunk College Coeds?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Sounds like to me he needs a lesson from Wyatt Earp. LOL

[video=youtube_share;bQVsyvuij20]http://youtu.be/bQVsyvuij20[/video]

migunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 4, 2011
    DeMotte
    Wow. Not illegal, just horrible un-tasteful. Check out the johnson county shooting thread for a lesson on what happens if you start screaming at someone and flash a gun.

Good on manager telling that punk off, good on that manger keeping booze away! Sounds like old boy doesnt need any outside influence to make a bad choice. The im going to be a cop next year garbage is annoying to.. hopefully false.

This sort of behavior really rustles my feathers.

edit: Great first post btw, welcome to Ingo.

This is the behavior the anti's love to exploit. I would automatically perceive that lifting of a shirt to show a firearm as a threat!

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I had someone threaten to "put a bullet in my head", the other day .....

I was armed ..... Should I:

Got out of my car, and said, go for it .....

Make the first shot count, cause you won't get a second .....

OR,

Got out of the car, with MY gun in my hand, and said,

"Go ahead, make my day" .....

STARCOM

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    SW Indiana
    I had someone threaten to "put a bullet in my head", the other day .....

I was armed ..... Should I:

Got out of my car, and said, go for it .....

Make the first shot count, cause you won't get a second .....

OR,

Got out of the car, with MY gun in my hand, and said,

"Go ahead, make my day" .....

Need more information on the situation. If you can safely do so...leave maybe.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Two questions:

1. Is he from Michigan or something? Michiganders (and maybe Ohioans) are the only ones I've heard who use the term "conceal and carry" license.
    2. Why didn't he just ask the three ladies in his party to leave, so that they were no longer in his party - thereby avoiding the stupid Indiana excise issue?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Two questions:

1. Is he from Michigan or something? Michiganders (and maybe Ohioans) are the only ones I've heard who use the term "conceal and carry" license.

Either he, or the OP, or one or the other like arcane language.

2. Why didn't he just ask the three ladies in his party to leave, so that they were no longer in his party - thereby avoiding the stupid Indiana excise issue?

Let's not blame Indiana for this. It's not a law. Beyond that, it appears that was preventing him from doing some rational was the fact that it was rational, and he was not.

Top Bottom