• ...and so much more!
  • Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Boone County Courthouse in Lebanon :

" The north and south entrances are each adorned by four columns 35 feet 3 inches in length, 52 inches in diameter and the base and 48 inches at the tip. These columns were said to be [in 1915] the largest one-piece columns in the United States. "

•The large columns on the north and south entrances are believed to be the largest monolithic limestone columns in the world.
    •The magnificent courthouse dome is the second largest stained glass dome in Indiana.
    •Eight rare Hahl pneumatically calibrated clocks that still keep time inside the courthouse.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Lebanon , In. persons of notoriety:
    Rick " The Rocket" Mount, a great High School and college basketball player.
    Mel Kenyon the best midget race car driver of all time.
    Craig Terrill football standout for the Seahawks.
    Doug Jones "The sultan of Slow' MLB pitcher.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    The name of Lizton used to be Elizabethtown but it was nearly wiped out by disease and then no one would move there, so they renamed it Lizton.

Not 100% sure this is true but it is what I was told when I lived there in 1997.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Dubois county is know as the Wood office furniture capital of the world, if you live in the area you know why. I'd say over half our population is employed in the furniture business someway.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Where we live now
    Martinsville- City of Mineral Water and hometown of John Wooden
    WTIU video Our Town: Martinsville | WTIU

Lebanon , In. persons of notoriety:
    Rick " The Rocket" Mount, a great High School and college basketball player.
    Mel Kenyon the best midget race car driver of all time.
    Craig Terrill football standout for the Seahawks.
    Doug Jones "The sultan of Slow' MLB pitcher.

My hometown of Lebanon

Hotdoger you forgot Actor Drew Powell... he was a year or so behind me in school

Hoosiers was filmed in the Memorial High School gym and the movie theater that burnt down

Abraham Lincoln stopped while on a train in Lebanon the marker is by the Dodge Dealer at the railroad tracks (or where they used to be) I believe he was dead.

In 1839, a two story brick courthouse was built. Until that time, the Boone County Circuit Court met in two different log structures. In 1856, the foundations of the courthouse began to crumble so the building was replaced with a larger more stately brick building costing $40,000. During the construction of this new courthouse valuable records from the recorder's were destroyed in a fire.
    The courthouse of 1856, stood until 1909, when it was razed to make way for the current building. This new building, finished in 1911, at a cost of $265,000, is constructed of limestone from Bedford, Indiana

Speaking of Dillinger, my wife has family that used to run with him (Pierponts)

Jamestown Indiana
    Jamestown was designated the county seat. It did not take the early citizens of the county long to protest this, however. Because of its location in the extreme southwest corner of the county Jamestown was not well suited for its role as county seat. In 1832, the Indiana General Assembly agreed that the county seat should be within two miles of the county's geographic center.

[h=3]Actors and Actresses Who Have Called Indiana Home[/h]Steve McQueen-born in the town of Beech Grove, March 24, 1930Florence Henderson-native of Dale, Indiana. Known as Mrs. Brady on the Brady Bunch television series.Will Geer-born March 9, 1902, in Frankfort, Indiana. Known as Grandpa Zeb Walton on The Waltons television series.James Dean-born February 8, 1931, in Fairmount, Indiana. Movie actor in East of Eden and Rebel Without a Cause. Died September 30, 1955 in an automobile crash. Buried in Park Cemetery in Fairmount, Indiana.Carole Lombard (Jane Alice Peters)-born in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Actress in several movies and wife of Clark Gable. Died in an airplane crash in 1941 after visiting Indianapolis.Shelly Long-born in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Portrayed Diane Chambers, barmaid, in the long-running television series Cheers.Karl Malden (Malden Sukilovich)-born in Gary, Indiana on March 22, 1914. Actor who has starred in many motion pictures and television series. Portrayed Omar Bradley in the Academy Award winning movie Patton.Sydney Pollack-all-time great director was born in Lafayette, Indiana.Howard Hawks-born in Goshen, Indiana. Famous director of movies, of his most famous were Dawn Patrol and Sergeant York.Richard “Red” Skelton-born in Vincennes, Indiana in 1913. Famous comedian and professional clown.David Letterman-born in Indianapolis, Indiana on April 12, 1947. Famous talk show host.Jane Pauley-born in Indianapolis, Indiana and replaced Barbara Walters on the Today Show. Co-host’s NBC’s Dateline documentary television series.[h=3]Famous Indiana Musicians[/h]John Cougar Mellencamp-born in Seymour, Indiana. Currently lives in Bloomington, Indiana.Bill Bailey (known as Axl Rose)-born in Lafayette, Indiana. Lead singer for the rock band Guns n’ Roses.Janie Fricke-born in South Whitley, Indiana. Country music singer.Cole Porter-born in 1892 at Peru, Indiana. Famous musician and early jazz star. Died on October 15, 1964 after routine operation for kidney stones.Hoagy Carmichael-famous composer and musician born in Bloomington 1899.Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five-all born in Gary, Indiana. Formed the famous brother group in 1966. Died in California on June 25, 2009.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "Hotdoger you forgot Actor Drew Powell... he was a year or so behind me in school"

I did not forget him. I have issues with people who take their own life and the mental pain it inflicts on others.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    "Hotdoger you forgot Actor Drew Powell... he was a year or so behind me in school"

I did not forget him. I have issues with people who take their own life and the mental pain it inflicts on others.

You should fact check before spouting off about things you don't know about, he is not dead.....

In fact he is currently an actor on the The Mentalist and last I checked dead guys don't post twitter messages in the last 13 hours...
    https://twitter.com/thedrewpowell

From December 14th 2013
    http://instagram.com/p/h6WVABFnM-/#

Good thing is you have a future in media either MSNBC or CNN would love to have you, they don't fact check either

Hmmm weird... we just had a text conversation on twitter.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/album.php?albumid=7842&attachmentid=24155

Last edited:

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Connersville (Armpit of Indiana) site of recent selection for Carbon Motors, (fraud) was once regarded as "Little Detroit" because of it's many manufacturing jobs. Now, the former home of Visteon, formerly Philco Ford, formerly Ratheon,which made radiators not only for production cars, but Nascar as well. Unfortunately, due to over extended payroll due to union demands, the company closed it's plant that once employed 4000 people. At that time, the population was around 16,000 in Connersville, 30,000 in Fayette County.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    "You should fact check before spouting off about things you don't know about, he is not dead....."

Yes, I was thinking Kent Poole in stead of Drew Powell.

FYI Drew Powell was actually born in Noblesville.

Top Bottom