• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    Looking for the IC about not needing your ltch in your possession to carry. In a argument with some people on Facebook and LEO Have told two separate people you will be arrested for not having your ltch just want to educate some people thanks

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Law changed a while back. No longer needed in possession.
    IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without being licensed; exceptions; person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Even with the new wording, you CAN be arrested for not having it. The burden of proof is on you.

Sounds like a hassle easily avoided to me.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    It is one of those "It doesn't say it is illegal, so it must be legal" things. There is no law saying it is legal to drink hot chocolate while wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

It makes things simpler if you just carry the LTCH (they don't weigh much). However, if you accidentally forget it and are carrying a handgun you aren't doing anything illegal. It is more of a hassle, but not illegal (assuming you have a valid LTCH on file). The law as written helps protect you from "Oops, I forgot" moments but I wouldn't intentionally leave the LTCH at home.

ChevyNova1970

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2015
    Northwest
    I am in a local police explorer group. I have been on numerous ride alongs before and a lot of police officers still believe you need your permit on you to carry your firearm. If you are detained or checked and you tell them you don't have it, you might find yourself being verbal abused and arrested. About 2 months ago, I rode with a patrolman and we were going to back up an officer who needed another unit during a security checkpoint at an apartment complex. (There was a shoot out the night before at the apartment complex, so the police department had 2 officers work the security gate the next night as a special detail) Anyways, each car that enters the property at the gate needed to state why they were there. (They live there, visiting,etc.) The man stopped at the gate and as the officer approached the car, the man rolled down his window and had a firearm sitting on his lap. Guns were then drawn and back up was requested. The man was ordered out of the car, on the ground, put in cuffs and detained temporarily. Turned out, the car reeked like marijuana, car was searched, and narcotics were found. The man went to jail for that and was also charged for not having his permit on him. It was his firearm and legally had his LTCH but not on him. The shift commander ended up charging him too for not having the permit on him and they even ran it through the database to check and see if he had a LTCH. The charge was like failure to identify. My advise to everyone, is to just carry your LTCH on you. Just to avoid the hassle and to BUY a holster for your vehicle. So dangerous to carry a firearm with an open trigger guard.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    This is why we need Constitutional Carry here. I haven't been hassled at a public range since they changed the requirement of having a LTCH while at a gun range. Perhaps it would help in the oh so complicated issue of carrying a handgun :rolleyes:

Anyway the fact is many cops don't seem to know many of the gun laws they enforce and we continue to suffer the consequences of exercising our rights.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The charge should will not hold up in court because there is no law to back it up. The remedy is in IC.

Having said that, the rest of the charges will most likely result in him not ever having to present a LTC again, as he will no longer possess one.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am in a local police explorer group. I have been on numerous ride alongs before and a lot of police officers still believe you need your permit on you to carry your firearm. If you are detained or checked and you tell them you don't have it, you might find yourself being verbal abused and arrested. About 2 months ago, I rode with a patrolman and we were going to back up an officer who needed another unit during a security checkpoint at an apartment complex. (There was a shoot out the night before at the apartment complex, so the police department had 2 officers work the security gate the next night as a special detail) Anyways, each car that enters the property at the gate needed to state why they were there. (They live there, visiting,etc.) The man stopped at the gate and as the officer approached the car, the man rolled down his window and had a firearm sitting on his lap. Guns were then drawn and back up was requested. The man was ordered out of the car, on the ground, put in cuffs and detained temporarily. Turned out, the car reeked like marijuana, car was searched, and narcotics were found. The man went to jail for that and was also charged for not having his permit on him. It was his firearm and legally had his LTCH but not on him. The shift commander ended up charging him too for not having the permit on him and they even ran it through the database to check and see if he had a LTCH. The charge was like failure to identify. My advise to everyone, is to just carry your LTCH on you. Just to avoid the hassle and to BUY a holster for your vehicle. So dangerous to carry a firearm with an open trigger guard.
    Charged with failure to identify is very different than being charged for not having your LTCH.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Hell, there are cops who think having an old address on your LTCH is an offense even if the official database record is accurate. ( I know firsthand) I can't imagine trying to prove I have it without it. Especially in the case I was referring to where Westfield PD dispatch couldn't get ISP to confirm my pink permission slip was still valid.

Dwhizzle74

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2011
    There's alot more to the story. Its on a indiana gun trader page On Facebook. I always carry my ltch its easy and like someone said doesn't weigh much , its more of just how people are misinformed. One person even stated they called isp legal dept and confirmed it was illegal. At the same time he said it was a felony to carry without a license. I showed the IC. I explained the IC. People can't budge from it being a crime so I gave up

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I always carry my pink slip, except when I don't. Had a Dr's appointment the other day and halfway to the office realized I had left my wallet in my other pair of pants. Had my gun with me though. DOH!

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    This is why we need Constitutional Carry here. I haven't been hassled at a public range since they changed the requirement of having a LTCH while at a gun range. Perhaps it would help in the oh so complicated issue of carrying a handgun :rolleyes:

Anyway the fact is many cops don't seem to know many of the gun laws they enforce and we continue to suffer the consequences of exercising our rights.

What?? Are you some kind of authority on the subject or something ???

Top Bottom