• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Theres a shocker.

"You know, I have too much money. I think the state should take more of it. <votes no>"

I just wonder wth the other 28% were smokin.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    It just hit me. People who vote FOR property tax increases, may just be inner city folk who think they will never own a house, stickin it to the man.

makes sense. almost. sort of.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    now property taxes are officially mandated in the indiana constitution. HURRAY!

Instead of voting in some politicians who will actually reduce government spending, we just limit the resources that we give them. Great thinking!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    now property taxes are officially mandated in the indiana constitution. HURRAY!

Instead of voting in some politicians who will actually reduce government spending, we just limit the resources that we give them. Great thinking!

Property taxes were already officially mandaged in the indiana constitution.

Article 8 section 2.

Article 10 section 1.

signut49

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Wherever I want
    If they can't raise the assessed value above a set percentage, they'll just raise the tax rates. They will still get their pound of flesh one way or the other. Ya'll got fooled. :laugh:

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Property taxes were already officially mandated in the indiana constitution.

Article 8 section 2.

Article 10 section 1.

And, now they will be in there a third time which legitimizes them even more, and makes them even more difficult to get rid of.

You never own your property so long as you have to pay 'rent money' to the government.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    And, now they will be in there a third time which legitimizes them even more, and makes them even more difficult to get rid of.

You never own your property so long as you have to pay 'rent money' to the government.

Actually, article 8 involves school funding and section 2 gives authority to tax corporation property in order to fund the "common schools."

Article 10 section 1 involves all real property and how it is taxed along with the excise exemption.

This will amend article 10 section 1 to add an exemption limiting the tax rate to 1, 2, or 3 percent. Property tax will still only be mentioned twice in the constitution.

It does not futher legitimize property tax, as something is either legitimate or it is not.

This amendment is a compromise to protect tax payers and still give the big government people a bone. Let people get used to the lower rate and then we'll whack 'em with an outright repeal of article 10 and article 8 section 2.

This is the same strategy that the progressives use to expand government and it works well. We'll use their strategy to slowly shrink government.

Fully eliminating property tax would have been too large of a bite for most people to swallow. The first thing the big government people would say is that they'd have to close all public schools.

This strategy allows us to transition school funding from property tax to income, excise, and sales tax. At that point, we'll be able to eliminate property tax, and the opposition won't have a leg to stand on.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Only a matter or time before they raise the asessed value of my house!

Constitutionally, the assessment must be fair market value. You can appeal your assessment at no cost if you feel it is not fair market value. Also, if you live on a busy road or near a bad business, you can also use that to reduce your assessment.

Your assessor also lives in your county. If you think they screwed you, take a little car ride to their house to chat over coffee. Their address is a matter of public record.

Get a bunch of friends together if you don't want to go by yourself.

redlegrod

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I have a couple Libtard friends who are educators and they were trying to push people to vote no because they feel they will lose funding.

The way I have it figured is they will find some other way to make us bend over! :):

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't see how capping property taxes gets us any further away from the goal of abolishing property tax. Its going to involve some constitutional amendments either way.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I own property in Indiana, but of course can't vote there. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

To clear up a misunderstood concept: Renters pay property tax, too. They just don't know it.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't see how capping property taxes gets us any further away from the goal of abolishing property tax. Its going to involve some constitutional amendments either way.

You have to reduce a tax before you can eliminate it. Otherwise, you get people in the street shouting that you won't have a fire department, or police, or public schools.

Just like a child, we'll have to wean these entities off the property tax teat before we take it away.

They can't just stop cold turkey.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I own property in Indiana, but of course can't vote there. I appreciate you guys helping me out.

To clear up a misunderstood concept: Renters pay property tax, too. They just don't know it.

Exactly. The people that actually pay taxes are consumers.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

Right. And my guess is, its renters that dont THINK that voted for it.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Only a matter or time before they raise the asessed value of my house!

This would cap tax to 1% of assessed "gross" value instead of around 4% of reduced value after taking out all of the reductions like homestead reduction.

As far as assessed value, they had my house assessed too high so I paid for an assessment to protest and got my assessed value lowered by 40K on my house and 10K on a separate lot. That will do me good until they do another actual assessment.

Since I moved into this house in 2004 my tax rates went from 600 to 1200 to 2400 to 7000 (the tax fiasco) to 3000 to 2400. I am all for something that will stabilize my taxes. My taxes will still be lower than 2400 with the cap.

If I moved my house to Milwaukee, where I spend some time, my taxes would probably be around 5K.

Top Bottom