• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Z71LOVE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I am from Michigan but currently going to college here in Indiana. I have a Michigan drivers license but have lived here in Indiana for three years now. I plan on going back to michigan when I finish school here in 6 months. It is a lot easier to get a CPL (Concealed Pistol Lisense or CCW) here in Indiana oppose to Michigan. My question is could I get a CPL (Concealed Pistol Licesnce or CCW) here in Indiana since I have lived here for 3 years but my drivers license is from Michigan? I've heard of people being able to get a CPL in Indiana even though their main residence is not in Indiana.

Appreciate any help

Last edited:

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    OK, lets do a quick vocab lesson:

In Indiana, it's called a License to Carry a Handgun.

Second, unless you have established residency in Indiana, you cannot get an LTCH. It sounds like you are still holding your Michigan residency. You would need to get the IN Driver's license and become an IN resident to get a License.

woodsman07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2009
    Per Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-2-3
    Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
    Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
    (1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
    (2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
    (3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

You can receive a license to carry from Indiana if you are not a resident, provided you meet the requirements listed above.

To the op, in your case I don't think you would qualify. You will be moving back to Michigan in six months. Sounds like you are trying to circumvent the laws of your home state.

Hope this helps. :)

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    No point in applying for a nonresident permit, even if going to school here does qualify as employment (i'm not sure if it would). Indiana will recognize Michigan's permit, and Michigan will recognize Indiana's resident permit, but I'm not sure if Michigan would recognize Indiana's non-resident permit. Either way, once you applied for and received your permit, you'd be packing up and leaving within a few months of receiving it, and your nonresident permit would probably not be valid after leaving school. Go to Michigan, get your permit there, and you'll be legal to carry in Indiana, and also back in Michigan, where you intend to stay

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    We had a discussion on this fairly recently, and IIRC the consensus was that you probably will not be able to establish the required residency in Indiana if you're doing the typical academic education thing. Therefore you'll most likely need to take the Michigan training, maybe on one of your breaks, and get your Michigan license.

Alternatively, you could get one of the other non-resident licenses out there; i.e. Florida, Utah, etc., to carry in Indiana - however, such a license would NOT be recognized when you're home in Michigan as they did not recognize non-resident licenses last time I checked.

See this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...lf_defense/243480-i_was_just_denied_ltch.html

Top Bottom