• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This morning I hunted an oak flat that is about 250 yards from our little food plot. This is the direction that most of the deer that come to the food plot come from.

I got settled in about a half hour before good shooting light and waited.
    When good light finally dawned I could see a deer working its way to me. When it finally got to me I could see it was either:

1) A yearling buck with a BIG body

OR

2) A 2 ½ year old buck with a small basket 8 point rack.

He went on past me heading for the thicker stuff in search of does or a warm bed or both..

About a half hour later I could see another deer down the way munching on acorns. I glassed it and saw it was another buck. This time a 3 pointer…no doubt a yearling buck. It finally made it’s way towards me and passed directly under my stand.

528a6258.jpg

I’m sitting down facing the thick stuff when from behind me I hear the crunch, crunch, crunch of an approaching deer. I ease my head around just enough to see what is coming and to my surprise it is a good looking buck about 35 yards away and closing the distance.

I ease my crossbow up and click off the safety as he is passing me by at 12 yards. I put the 20 yard crosshair on him and I let out a BAHH. The buck stops and I pop the trigger. The Lumenoc shows I hit exactly where I wanted to.

He does a mule kick and takes off. He runs flat out one direction and then does a big turn (almost reverse) and starts back a different way. By that time I could see he is getting wobbly and going down. He flops and kicks a few times giving up the ghost.

His total run was less than 50 yards. I called my son and told him to come on up and help with the drag. I got down and started my walk to him. I observed the blood trail and it was wide and short. The kind that we all like to see.

He is a main frame 8 with split brow times and a kicker off one of the splits maqking him an 11 pointer..

Not a big bodied deer, but the taxidermist said he was 4 ½.

My son scored him out as 140 gross. A keeper.

deerseason103.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    that is truly awesome!

Thanks for the great story, us noobs can use all the help we can get.

I plan on having a crossbow for next season.

Top Bottom