Indiana Cuisine: Cultural Wasteland or Hidden Gem?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    Last edited:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Chuck E Cheese?:dunno:

Tenderloin is about the only "Indiana" food that I know of.

I haven't been in Indiana for very long but on average Illinois made a better tenderloin. I'm pretty bummed as I've yet to find great pizza, Mexican, horse shoes, or just great greasy food here in the Fort.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Thanks for the links to the Indy Vietnamese places. I still think it sucks to have to drive 40 minutes to eat a 6-15 dollar meal. Glad to know there are a few places around thought.

Fremont? Heck we were neighbors, I lived in Union City, and worked/lived in San Francisco for awhile when parents opened up a store there. Lots of good places to eat in Fremont/Hayward/Newark and Union City. Went to James Logan for a couple years after attending Alvarado, Cesar Chavez, and Kitayama , and heck, I love the schools here in IN. Carmel up there I believe with James Logan student wise, but for the majority of schools, you don't have 4,000+ students in them. And a lot less rampant gangs, ecstasy use, school and school related shootings, attempted abductions, etc. It was hilarious moving here to do my last year of HS and the student handbook didn't have multiple pages whose sole purpose was to outline what types of gang related clothing you couldn't wear, how you could cut your hair, your eyebrows, and wear your shoes. I'm liking college here, I think it would have been cheaper out there, but stuff happens. I am glad there is so much freedom in IN, and it's nice to have a yard, horses, rabbits, chickens, etc.

Last edited:

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    Sorry but Indiana food is home cookin. If you look at the history and settlers of Indiana you will find we are all just country folk who come from small towns. If you want Indiana cookin go to the small towns find a dinner and eat. Now may not be one type of ethnic food but hey Indiana is a hodge podge of ethnicities and our food represents that. Just my :twocents:.

Agreed. You want a good, home-cooked, family style meal, try The Log Inn in Warrenton/Haubstadt IN. Their claim to fame is that Abe Lincoln ate there in 1844. Well, that and some damn good chicken, ham and roast beef. While you're in the area, check out Meeks Guns and Right to BEAR Arms LLC. - both fine gun shops.

EDIT:
    Mayor Al beat me to this as I was typing. I gotta learn to type faster...

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    I haven't been in Indiana for very long but on average Illinois made a better tenderloin. I'm pretty bummed as I've yet to find great pizza, Mexican, horse shoes, or just great greasy food here in the Fort.
    Pizza, try Maurizio's in Terre Haute, The Venice in Ft. Wayne, Mercurio's in Richmond, and Zwanzig's in Columbus. And BTW Zwanzig's even has their own microbrewery. Just my :twocents:.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't been in Indiana for very long but on average Illinois made a better tenderloin Alley Sports Bar at ProBowl West. I'm pretty bummed as I've yet to find great pizza Oleys, Mexican George's Tacos, Los Lomas, horse shoes Can't help you there, or just great greasy food Laycoffs (breaded fried cheeseburger), Flanigans, Blue Smokestack here in the Fort.

Happy to help! :D

PopFizz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    I know this thread is ancient but since many are posting, I read it all and I can't believe no one mentioned Bonge's Tavern as great food.

I've ate there several times. While their menu is limited they do it with precision/perfection.

Their staple dish (the menu changes seasonally) is constant, a pork tenderloin the size of your plate.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Better Tenderloin in Illinois? Those are fighting words Sir!

:D

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Since I see a lack of representation from the northern part of the state...

Columbo's
    Vesuvio's
    Milano's

We are very spoiled by the volume of great pizza in the Elkhart area. When we visit friends and family out of this area, I am shocked by the lack of a decent pizza.

Some of the best Mexican food this side of Tijuana is located in Goshen...

Los Primos

$1.50 tacos with meat choices like cabeza(steamed cow cheeks, mmm goooood), chorizo, lamb, chicken, tongue, pork.

I don't think we have a single, signature "Indiana" dish. But anyone who says we lack diversity is just not looking hard enough.

I am a little sad at the lack of eastern European eats. It seems like the Polish, German, Hungarian, etc, populations abandoned the food scene. There is a new German place in South Bend. It is ok, but the menu is limited and they have yet to obtain a liquor license, so I withhold judgement for now.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I am a little sad at the lack of eastern European eats. It seems like the Polish, German, Hungarian, etc, populations abandoned the food scene.

The problem is we don't have any NEW immigrants from that area. :(

Other than the Italian Connection, I can't think of any European restaurants in Fort Wanye.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    What? Can this be true? How?

I don't see Caliente listed in the thread! It IS the best cuban food in NE Indiana. Go now and get a cuban sandwich at State and Crescent in Fort Wayne.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I am a little sad at the lack of eastern European eats. It seems like the Polish, German, Hungarian, etc, populations abandoned the food scene. There is a new German place in South Bend. It is ok, but the menu is limited and they have yet to obtain a liquor license, so I withhold judgement for now.

Plenty of German food in SW IN.

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I think Indiana still lays claim to the calf's brain sandwich. AB even tried one on his motorcycle tour.
    Is burgoo popular anywhere except southern IN?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    State Fair Food (there's your tenderloin, hornadylnl)

Don't speak such blasphemy of state fair food and the true breaded pork tenderloin in the same sentence. The state fair equivalent in all those trailers (much like the crap served at the overrated Mug N Bun) is no higher quality than a breaded and pounded flat hot dog.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    We have enjoyed Brain Sandwiches at the Blues and BBQ Festival in Henderson,KY across the river from Evansville. These days they are Pork not Calf brains for the meat involved. I havn't seen "Brains and Eggs" on a menu , even in rural So. Indiana for many years. That was our Saturday Morning 'Special Breakfast' when I was growing up. Alton Brown didn't seem to care for the deep-fried Brain sandwich he had in E-ville in "Feasting on Asphalt"

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    I know since moving here I've been sorely disappointed.

Pizza isn't that great, subs are really lacking, next to impossible to find a beef on weck, and don't get me started on what passes for chicken wings around here.

BBQ is definitely a strength out here though.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Plenty of German food in SW IN.

All my kraut brethren musta packed up and moved on me. Hard to find good schnitzel and spaetzle up here.:(

Oh, and for those of you that think the pork tenderloin was invented in Indiana, google wiener schnitzel or the more technically correct wiener schnitzel vom schwein.:D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom