• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckjoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    beech grove
    A friend of mine said the other day that they were talking about letting us use 30-30's this year or some time in the future is he full of it or does he know something i don't know and if it is true is 30-30 the only rifle they are thinking about thanks for any help to the truth of this because were fighting like little kids lol.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    there is a thread on here somewhere about this, but i belive the meeting to decide is the 14th of this month. someone correct me if im wrong
    I got an email from IDNR that said there was a meeting slated to discuss this.
    7-14-09 sounds about right. Any decision will NOT take affect this year. All hunting regs have already been printed for 2009-2010 seasons.
    BTW- YES, they ARE talking 30-30's:rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    You can also hunt deer here (Indiana) with a "Black Rifle" Rock river Arms makes a 458 Socom than is "technically" pistol cartridge I shot a friends and its a 200 yard butt kicker that shoots the 47/70 bullet. Have fun,, kill lotsa deer,,, but most of all stay safe!!

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    I'm not sure about the future but right now you can use a 30 30. You can use high power pistols and cowboy rounds. A Henry 44mag would be my choice under current laws.

tcshooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    with the only regulation being case length and bullet diameter you can use necked down cartridges as long as they stay within these perameters...so straightwalled pistol cartridges are not the only thing you can use in a rifle if you don't mind looking into some of the wildcat rounds.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I've been under the impression that the .30-30, .35 Remington, etc. already were legal deer hunting cartridges, but only when used in TC Contenders, Encores, Remington XP100's and the like.

Personally, I think it'd be nice to be able to employ them from a proper carbine or rifle here, but I don't think I'll try holding my breath until it is.

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    30-30s would be nice if added.. Some other rifles would be great also.. I don't think carbines would be a good choice. You already have some hunters get trigger happy and spray and pray...Can you imagine if someone had a carbine out in the woods sprayin at bambi...

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Here is the link to Fish and Wildlife Hunting Guide and what part of it states;

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-Deer_Hunting_Equipment.pdf

Shotguns, handguns, rifles with pistol cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms season. Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms season only.
    Shotguns
    Shotguns must be 10, 12, 16, or 20-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets.

[FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]
    [/FONT]
    Rifled slug barrels are permitted.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings]​

[/FONT]
    Combination rifle-shotguns are not allowed.
    Handguns
    Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long.
    [FONT=Wingdings,Wingdings] [/FONT]Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted.

[/FONT]
    Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.
    Some types of handgun cartridges legal for deer hunting include:
    .357 Magnum
    .41 Magnum
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .45 Colt
    .45 Long Colt
    .45 Winchester Magnum
    .35 Remington
    .357 Herrett.
    Some illegal handgun cartridges for deer hunting are 38 Special, 38 Smith and Wesson, 38 Colt New Police, 38/200, 38 Long Colt, 38 Super, 38 ACP, 38 Colt Auto, 45 ACP, 45 Automatic and 45 Auto Rim. All 25/20, 32/20 and 30 carbine ammunition is prohibited also.
    Rifles with pistol cartridges
    Rifles must fire a cartridge with a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger; have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches; and have a maximum case length of 1.625 inches.

[/FONT]
    These rifle cartridges can be used only during the deer firearms season.
    Some cartridges that are legal include the following:
    .357 Magnum
    .38-40 Winchester
    .41 Magnum
    .41 Special
    .44 Magnum
    .44 Special
    .44-40 Winchester
    .45 Colt
    .454 Casull
    .458 SOCOM
    .480 Ruger
    .475 Linebaugh
    .50 Action Express
    .500 S&W
    Some illegal rifle cartridges for deer hunting are the .30-30 Winchester, .444 Marlin and .45-70 Govt.

Last edited:

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    So if they legalize 30-30's but I can't use my 300 savage, I'll be ticked off!:):

And a carbine is simply a shorter, handier rifle. The 30-30 cartridge is only available in lever actions, bolt, or pump. As far as being more dangerous, thats a joke, a semi-auto shotgun is a more likely choice to "Spray and pray" than a lever action rifle.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've heard of the talk for the 30-30's and unfortunately I already sold mine. I don't feel undergunned with a 44mag rifle though. I'm really happy with my puma 92 and hopefully it'll get it's chance to go to work again this year.

Top Bottom