• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    I'm a first time home owner and was looking for input on what insurance companies other Indiana residents liked or disliked for home owners insurance. My auto carrier does not supply home owners insurance.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm a first time home owner and was looking for input on what insurance companies other Indiana residents liked or disliked for home owners insurance. My auto carrier does not supply home owners insurance.

I was with Farm Bureau for years and recently put everything under State Farm. Nothing to like or dislike more than the other. My State Farm rep is more customer friendly; calls to say "thanks for your business" every other month and provides more coverage for less money, but not by much.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have been happy with State Farm. I have home, auto, boat, and umbrella policy with them and get multi-coverage discounts.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    While shoppings rates you need to ask what kind of rate increase was taken this year. Many compainies in Indiana are taking close to or have just taken close to 25% increase.

Also, look at the claims department, how do they rate? Cheap premium is great but not if they don't pay out like you want. I personally know two people that have waited over 2 months to get payouts on a totaled car. Ask Indy_guy_77 how long it took his company to pay out.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use Indiana Farmers. I actually use them for commercial liability, commercial auto, and farm policy. Don't have to be a farmer.

IMHO, shop around for rates, but also agents. I could probably get a better rate elsewhere with the volume I have, BUT I like my agent. He goes out of his way helping me with issues I have. Looking at the type of coverage I need. I even drop 6 or so trucks off coverage in the winter.

I have had a couple of claims, one on my house with wind damage. Went smooth, no issues. Had one claim on my truck, also no issues. Even let me apply money towards better aftermarket stuff.

KarBill

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Anderson
    I've used Shelter Insurance for about 20 years now. Our car, home, bike, camper, and life insurance are all through them. Couldn't tell you if they have the best rates but have never had a problem and my agent is constantly reviewing my policies to get me better rates/discounts.

MillenniumC5

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Wayne County
    Thanks for the input. I will look into getting quotes. I probably will cosolidate my auto insurance to the same company once my current policy expires and hopefully get a better rate.

Top Bottom