• ...and so much more!
  • downlinx

Expert
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Lafayette, IN
    Indiana House revives drug testing plan for welfare clients | wlfi.com
    INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The Indiana House has revived a proposal to test welfare recipients for drugs, a measure that has failed previously to win legislative approval.House members voted 79-15 on Tuesday to include it in a bill making changes to Family and Social Services Administration policies.
    The proposal from Democratic Rep. Terry Goodin of Austin would require drug testing for welfare recipients deemed at high risk for drug abuse or who’ve been previously charged with drug crimes. The proposal would offer counseling and additional tests before benefits are taken away.
    Republicans pushed a similar proposal last year, but it failed in the Senate on a tie vote.
    Goodin said his proposal was spurred by concerns over intravenous drug abuse causing an HIV outbreak in southern Indiana’s Scott County, which he represents.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    More conservative targeting of the lesser privileged individuals. How dare they.

I have liberal friends that claim 'its done nothing...and costs more money than it saves'. Friend from florida said the numbers are hidden as those that can't pass just 'disappear' from the system. They quit re-applying. The numbers 'caught' are low because the heavy users don't even try anymore.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    More conservative targeting of the lesser privileged individuals. How dare they.

I have liberal friends that claim 'its done nothing...and costs more money than it saves'. Friend from florida said the numbers are hidden as those that can't pass just 'disappear' from the system. They quit re-applying. The numbers 'caught' are low because the heavy users don't even try anymore.

Isnt that the idea?

ARRAY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Griffith
    Well I feel they should be tested if they are going to receive benefits, most employers including my own require us to take a pre employment and random screenings during employment to get and keep the job, well the way I look at it I have got to be clean to make the money to pay the taxes and if they are going to give it away to the "less fortunate" then they should have to be clean to receive my hard earned tax money. and I don't think cost now a days would be significant because I believe they have test strips they could just dip in a cup of urine, they would just have to make sure protocol was followed so clean samples could not be sneaked in. i think it could be done and save the state money in the long run.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    How do they figure out who is high risk?

The proposal from Democratic Rep. Terry Goodin of Austin would require drug testing for welfare recipients deemed at high risk for drug abuse or who’ve been previously charged with drug crimes. The proposal would offer counseling and additional tests before benefits are taken away.

Well, they live in Austin would be a start. Austin has two main industries, dope and whores. It's basically a truck stop that got big enough it became a town. Meth and prescription drug use are rampant.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Yes...but those against it use the numbers of how many are caught to throw stones at it and claim bias. They don't look at the 'before' and 'after' total numbers of recipients. You know, cherry picking facts to make your point.

you mean moonbat nutcase liberals.

they'll be along, this is INGO

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    This sounds like bad news to me. Sure, do the drug testing when people are applying/reapplying. No biggie there....case workers give them a **** cup and it adds 2 minutes to the process plus whatever the testing cost is. However, if they're selectively targeting people, then offering counseling if they fail tests, it's only going to increase the bureaucracy. All government is what business folks would consider "overhead," and I'm always hesitant to take seemingly positive steps that leave open the door to grow that overhead even more, thus wasting even more of my tax dollar.

Now where's my crack and welfare? I've got some protesting to do.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I am all for this. IMO there is enough in the bill to appease the left. But, I can be way wrong about that.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This'll solve everything.

...wait, I mean nothing​.

...and conservatives have the gall to accuse liberals of passing "feel good" legislation, sheesh.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    However, if they're selectively targeting people, then offering counseling if they fail tests, it's only going to increase the bureaucracy. All government is what business folks would consider "overhead," and I'm always hesitant to take seemingly positive steps that leave open the door to grow that overhead even more, thus wasting even more of my tax dollar.

I am with you.

Welfare applicants sign away any expectation of privacy when they apply for benefits, so I don't personally see it as a civil rights issue. The testing is purely voluntary.

It's still a feel-good measure that seems to me will expand the size and scope of the government while offering very little in tangible savings.

Are they going to create a new agency for screening 'high risk' drug users? Who says this agency will only ever be used to invade the privacy of welfare applicants?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am with you.

Welfare applicants sign away any expectation of privacy when they apply for benefits, so I don't personally see it as a civil rights issue. The testing is purely voluntary.

It's still a feel-good measure that seems to me will expand the size and scope of the government while offering very little in tangible savings.

Are they going to create a new agency for screening 'high risk' drug users? Who says this agency will only ever be used to invade the privacy of welfare applicants?

This is usually how it works unfortunately. Any opportunity to "Create" jobs and brag about it at election time will not be overlooked.

Have a lot of experience and time spent in the section 8 housing world. Not living but maint. on the houses etc. I have seen 1st hand the abuses. Not sure how this could be dealt with but something has to be done.
    Talk about a waste of Tax dollars.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Not sure how this could be dealt with but something has to be done.
    Talk about a waste of Tax dollars.

I wish they would just focus on scaling it back, if not eliminating it.

Of course, this way they get to pander without actually reducing the government or spending. Win-win for them.

Top Bottom