• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I've had bad luck from the more pastoral of folks too.

Wow you must live with some real goobers. While I am completely convinced most people are first rate morons, I don't allow them to create my "luck", I just plan everyday and every endeavor with that fact in mind. Keeps everything much more harmonious.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Signed the petition. I'm not a hunter, but I do agree that it's silly to allow standard centerfire rifle calibers for other game (including squirrel, where many shots would be taken at game up in a tree!), but not allow it for deer.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    There is zero reason why Indiana could not allow modern centerfire rifles for hunting whitetail like its southern neighbor.

ZERO.

But hey, we can't make this deer hunting thing too easy or inclusive for new participants...wouldn't want just anybody having the chance to shoot deer that rightfully belong to the "I'm more dedicated than you" bowhunting blowhards.

Where within the confines of Indiana do you propose hunting with these hi-power/riffle cartridges? Because I'd hate to be the unsuspecting guy in a tree stand or blind just over the hill side from that corn field you just shot across because you think this is to your advantage.

This is as much for the safety of the rest of us hunting as it is so you don't have to follow the current rules and find a firearm that fits within the current list of approved ammo.

Something like this got approved and I'd promise I'd never step foot in the woods or allow my sons to either... Especially in Southern Indiana where you have far too many hunters on Public/Gov Properties where 1/2 or more of them have no business with BB Guns!!!

Isn't about blow hard bow hunters or anyone else... It is about firearms and ammo that fit the conditions and in most cases over crowded land where hunting is allowed!!!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Where within the confines of Indiana do you propose hunting with these hi-power/riffle cartridges? Because I'd hate to be the unsuspecting guy in a tree stand or blind just over the hill side from that corn field you just shot across because you think this is to your advantage.

This is as much for the safety of the rest of us hunting as it is so you don't have to follow the current rules and find a firearm that fits within the current list of approved ammo.

Something like this got approved and I'd promise I'd never step foot in the woods or allow my sons to either... Especially in Southern Indiana where you have far too many hunters on Public/Gov Properties where 1/2 or more of them have no business with BB Guns!!!

Isn't about blow hard bow hunters or anyone else... It is about firearms and ammo that fit the conditions and in most cases over crowded land where hunting is allowed!!!

You do realize that folks south of the Ohio River in Kentucky have been hunting whitetail with centerfire rifles for decades, on private and public land, from the flat agricultural fields of western KY to the hills of eastern KY, including the heavily populatied counties around Louisville and Lexington, without the rivers of innocent blood that some seem to think would happen if Indiana permitted the same weapons...right?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

If this were the case, then why is there only this restriction on deer? Why not squirrel, rabbits, groundhog, coyote, fox, etc.?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

1. You can already hunt with hi-power/centerfire rifle cartridges in Indiana.

2. Where has there been a problem since the IDNR expanded the range of centerfire cartridges for deer, e.g. the .358 Hoosier?

3. Why do other states not have problems with the use of centerfire rifle cartridges for deer? Why does Indiana not have a problem with centerfire rifle cartridges for game/varmits other than deer?

4. If conditions are overcrowded, is it time to raise the fee associated with deer hunting?

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Kentucky isn't Indiana... Want all the other idio BS that KY law applies to by all means move there to hunt...

I'm a very avid hunter and 2A guy... Not saying rivers of blood just 100% saying that I don't want the added risk with the sear number of Idiots they allow in the woods in Indiana during Deer Season...

My extended family owns 500+ acres bordered by Hoosier National Forest... Find a way that Idiots will actually recognize and honor Private Property, No Hunting, and No Trespassing Signs and stay on Public Land where I know Myself and My Sons as well as our Family can hunt the land the family pays taxes on without risk of having some moron walking around shooting at damn near every sound in the woods and I'd be more than willing to consider Rifles.

On at least 2 different occasions in the past 20-25 years I've been hunting we've ran into incidents that weren't due to anyone in our overall family on land that the person causing it should have never been on... 3 Years ago my uncle's truck had side window taken out with a .357 bullet on opening day, 5-6 years prior to that my grandparents Lab was shot because it was running in the field not 100yrds below their house...

So Don't talk to me about some river of blood or waiting more powerful calibers allowed until someone can logically talk about sanity checks and keeping the complete idiots that should have BB Guns out of the woods.

Would make my hunt easier... Not much sport to it though... Simply open loft doors to couple different barns, sit there with Heat and maybe a Nice Cold Beer just after sunrise or before dusk and wait on Bambi to step out of the other side of a corn or soybean field then lower the boom...

But what can I do to follow that up?? Mounted Hunt from ATV?? Spotlight across fields just after dark on opening Day of Gun Season??

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Kentucky isn't Indiana... Want all the other idio BS that KY law applies to by all means move there to hunt...

I'm a very avid hunter and 2A guy... Not saying rivers of blood just 100% saying that I don't want the added risk with the sear number of Idiots they allow in the woods in Indiana during Deer Season...

My extended family owns 500+ acres bordered by Hoosier National Forest... Find a way that Idiots will actually recognize and honor Private Property, No Hunting, and No Trespassing Signs and stay on Public Land where I know Myself and My Sons as well as our Family can hunt the land the family pays taxes on without risk of having some moron walking around shooting at damn near every sound in the woods and I'd be more than willing to consider Rifles.

On at least 2 different occasions in the past 20-25 years I've been hunting we've ran into incidents that weren't due to anyone in our overall family on land that the person causing it should have never been on... 3 Years ago my uncle's truck had side window taken out with a .357 bullet on opening day, 5-6 years prior to that my grandparents Lab was shot because it was running in the field not 100yrds below their house...

So Don't talk to me about some river of blood or waiting more powerful calibers allowed until someone can logically talk about sanity checks and keeping the complete idiots that should have BB Guns out of the woods.

Would make my hunt easier... Not much sport to it though... Simply open loft doors to couple different barns, sit there with Heat and maybe a Nice Cold Beer just after sunrise or before dusk and wait on Bambi to step out of the other side of a corn or soybean field then lower the boom...

But what can I do to follow that up?? Mounted Hunt from ATV?? Spotlight across fields just after dark on opening Day of Gun Season??
    I do understand your concern, but you still haven't addressed the issue of what makes deer hunting with a rifle inherently less safe than hunting coyote (or any other game for which it's legal) with a rifle. For that matter, a deer slug, or .50 caliber projectile from a muzzle loader will travel plenty far enough to pose the dangers you seem to be most concerned about, so I just am not seeing what the difference would be. :dunno:

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I do understand your concern, but you still haven't addressed the issue of what makes deer hunting with a rifle inherently less safe than hunting coyote (or any other game for which it's legal) with a rifle.

Nothing.

But he feels like it'll be less safe, due to the sheer number of folks that would utilize them...despite a close geographic neighbor with very similar topography and demographics failing to validate a single safety concern the "no modern rifles" crowd has.

And frankly, the argument of "people do stupid and illegal things, so we can't make it any "easier" for people to do stupid and illegal things" is specious because PEOPLE ARE ALREADY DOING STUPID AND ILLEGAL THINGS and what has been suggested (permitting modern centerfire rifles for whitetail deer) isn't going to lead to an increase in people doing stupid and illegal things.

I'm sorry JasonB has to deal with poachers and tresspassers. I suppose it won't make him feel any better than my family's land in Washington County, KY (where I do in fact pay out-of-state fees to hunt) is landlocked by other properties with easement access, yet we STILL deal with trespassers almost every year despite 1. access being much more limited and 2. property borders being posted.

Changing what weapons are permitted isn't going to change the behavior of people that are already breaking the law...and to suggest otherwise is borrowing an argument from the feel-good gun control crowd.

Besides, even if modern centerfires were permitted there's nothing that says a hunter would HAVE to use one...they could continue to use a shotgun, bow, muzzleloader, spear, trebuchet or whatever else they feel is more "sporting" than, say, a 30-06.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    Coyotes are generally taken when the shooter knows there aren't some TBD number of people sitting basically concealed in stands/blinds behind where the shot it taken...

12ga or even 50 cal muzzle loader have effective range of couple hundred yards unless basically shot in a much more upward direction... 30-06 when making similar shot has range of what upward of a 1/2 mile??

Has nothing to do with any level of gun control... I have no issue with rifles... Do Earlier or Later season similar to muzzle loader where population of hunters in the same woods will be far lower...

It isn't and will never be about the responsible guys out there, concerns will always be the moron with his first overbuilt AR chambered for whatever out to prove it may take him 100rds but he can shoot a deer...

Simply rather not be the guy over the hill on the other side of the corn field from where this shooter is unloading is all I'm really saying...

Indiana had the same argument for years and years before handguns were permitted in any fashion... Change approach... Started in a limited fashion prove that the responsible hunters out there can hunt without issues then expand...

From personal view I still have don't think a 30-06 or 7mm is overkill for deer when a 44mag carbine is more than enough gun and range for any shot someone should be realistically taking in the state but to each his own...

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I'm a few miles into the rifle area, above dividing line in MI.
    I don't like it, want the whole state like Indiana. We've had 3 incidents
    around here in 25 years I know of; 3 people hit with high speed pointed type
    bullets during deer season and don't know where bullets come from.

Another Quote- For that matter, a deer slug, or .50 caliber projectile from a muzzle loader will travel plenty far enough to pose the dangers you seem to be most concerned about, so I just am not seeing what the difference would be.

Oh they will go a ways but being blunt nosed at elevated trajectories they go less than
    half the distance that a 7mm REm Mag goes..A mile difference on average.

Another quote it's silly to allow standard centerfire rifle calibers for other game (including squirrel, where many shots would be taken at game up in a tree!),

Your Right that is silly, make them use rimfires, shotgun or short fat cases like for deer hunting....
    That is right thing to do, not make deer hunting less safe to match the squirrels...

Another quote--
    Why do other states not have problems with the use of centerfire rifle cartridges for deer?
    Please See the above, we do have problems, 3 that I know of..Ed.

For that Another Quote- For that matter, a deer slug, or .50 caliber projectile from a muzzle loader will travel plenty far enough to pose the dangers you seem to be most concerned about, so I just am not seeing what the difference would be.

Oh they will go a ways but being blunt nosed at elevated trajectories they go less than
    half the distance that a 7mm REm Mag goes..A mile difference on average.Ed

OhI
    agree that it's silly to allow standard centerfire rifle calibers for other game (including squirrel, where many shots would be taken at game up in a tree!),

Your Right that is silly, make them use rimfires, shotgun or short fat cases like for deer hunting....

That is right thing to do, not make deer hunting less safe to match the squirrels...

Another quote--
    Why do other states not have problems with the use of centerfire rifle cartridges for deer?
    Please See the above, we do have problems, 3 that I know of...Ed
    matter, a deer slug, or .50 caliber projectile from a muzzle loader will travel plenty far enough to pose the dangers you seem to be most concerned about, so I just am not seeing what the difference would be.

half the distance that a 7mm REm Mag goes..A mile difference on average.Ed

OhI

Oh yea theydo agree that it's silly to allow standard centerfire rifle calibers for other game (including squirrel, where many shots would be taken at game up in a tree!),

Another quote--
    Please See the above, we do have problems, 3 that I know of...Ed

Last edited:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    3 incidents in 25 years? Really? All this fuss over 3 incidents in 2 and a half decades? Jeez, develope some perspective. I guess you will next be advocated limiting what folks shoot for their leisure because there have been more that three errant rounds hit property per year just from recreational shooting. What a tyrannical attitude.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

Actually Kentucky hunting laws aren't a whole lot different than Indiana's, other than the rifle part and allowing deer hunting over bait (as of 2006). Their licensing system is easier to understand. Only one tag for the entire season, their guide is written in plane straight forward American English, phone in insta-check, better, more durable licenses/tags, longer total season.

This will probably be my last season hunting in Indiana. Kentucky may be more expensive for a non-resident, but the whole set-up is far more hunter friendly.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    Ive lived in northern mi and southern mi. Even above the rifle line most of my shots on deer were no more than a hundred yards and that was done with a iron site 30/30 even now i prefer shotgun hunting most shotguns today with modern
    ammo shoot excellent shells shoot excellent out to that range But I'd much rather set myself up for sucess and focus on marksmanship, and a good humane kill. For me im ok with it. If I want long range ill snipe yotes with my long range job

hubel458

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    If as many say on here is true-- that Indiana restricted rifles to increase deer herd---

IS NOT THAT BEING FRIENDLY TO HUNTERS !!!!!

To give them more deer, a larger herd...Ed

Weimsnks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    SEKS
    Being new to the state I now understand why there is no market for some of the fine hunting rifles I have brought with me. But I also understand the reason. Too much of a danger in a flat state with no hills also it seems every tree in the state has been removed for farming or development.

So the bar for centerfire rifles is topography and trees ? You ever been to Kansas ? Good thing we don't use the same litmus test or I would have to sell my .280, 25-06 and 22-250.

Weimsnks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    SEKS
    3 incidents in 25 years? Really? All this fuss over 3 incidents in 2 and a half decades? Jeez, develope some perspective. I guess you will next be advocated limiting what folks shoot for their leisure because there have been more that three errant rounds hit property per year just from recreational shooting. What a tyrannical attitude.

I bet there have been more incidents with people falling or of treestands so I think we should limit the height to 6 ft.

Top Bottom