• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A point is, that after being successful, it is human nature for the bank to want to discontinue. Real guards were successful, but, hey we haven't had a robbery, so let's get rid of them.
    Hey, we haven't had a lot of need for the police, so let's cut back the PD.
    It will be because of false positives, and repairs over time, that they will cut back. Human nature.
    Over and over and over and over.

Then, robberies will happen again, and everyone will run around trying to fix the "new" problem.

Gotcha I could see that happening but I would fight it to the bitter end.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I usually do my banking at this branch but maybe it's time to move on. It's a crappy place to bank anyway, they haven't kept up with technology among other complaints.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I understand and there is nothing wrong with differing opinions. Its the only way to see things from a different angle.

I'm sorry.
    What you don't get, is that THIS is the only angle that the bad guys respond to.

More tellers need to be packin.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I am disappointed in this move, yes.

However, there is wisdom in not being the easiest target on the block.

I wish they would apply some more thinking time to come up with a way to allow customers protect themselves and make themselves a harder target.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Wow this conversation has really gone south. Maybe they aren't willing or permitted to carry. Then what smart guy?

There is no law prohibiting anyone from carrying a firearm into a bank. This includes the tellers, the bank manager and the custodian.

There are very SMART people that think their own life and the lives of those around them, ARE worth protecting - regardless of some silly bank's rules.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is no law prohibiting anyone from carrying a firearm into a bank. This includes the tellers, the bank manager and the custodian.

There are very SMART people that think their own life and the lives of those around them, ARE worth protecting - regardless of some silly bank's rules.

Your still assuming that they want to carry and take on that responsibility.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    I asked Mr. Newett if this decision pertained to the other branches and I received the following.

Mr. Pig,

We appreciate your support and business. For the safety of our members, and employees, we will have no further comment on our internal security measures. These measures are evolving, and we will continue to act in what we feel is the best interest of our members and employees.

John Newett
    Director, Planning and Administration

OUCH!!! I guess he told me. The way I read his response is -- Yes, these doors will be installed on all of our branches.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I asked Mr. Newett if this decision pertained to the other branches and I received the following.

Mr. Pig,

We appreciate your support and business. For the safety of our members, and employees, we will have no further comment on our internal security measures. These measures are evolving, and we will continue to act in what we feel is the best interest of our members and employees.

John Newett

OUCH!!! I guess he told me. The way I read his response is -- Yes, these doors will be installed on all of our branches.

I don't see them installing them at all their branches. Maybe the ones with robbery history.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    So if you are an armed teller, and a robber comes in, when do you have legal authority to defend yourself?

a. Robber hands a note saying I have a gun, hand over the money?
    b. Robber hands same note, but has (finger in jacket) making a gun pose?
    c. Teller has to actually see the business end of the gun?
    d. Something else?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    So if you are an armed teller, and a robber comes in, when do you have legal authority to defend yourself?

a. Robber hands a note saying I have a gun, hand over the money?
    b. Robber hands same note, but has (finger in jacket) making a gun pose?
    c. Teller has to actually see the business end of the gun?
    d. Something else?

Same as anyone else.

They pull their gun when they feel their life and/or someone else's life is in immediate danger.
    The money should never be the issue - unless it's my money they're protecting. :):

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Then you should pack your bags and walk out the door. Possibly hire a lawyer for the pending lawsuit? But on the other hand you might of saved your own life.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was surprised when I found this thread and disappointed in IMCU (I am a member, for now). I e-mailed Member Services and was told to contact the Branch manager. The following is the response that I received from John Newett, Director, Planning and Administration

Mr. Pig,

Thank you for your membership and business over the years. I will attempt to address your concern with the new security doors.

After two very difficult robberies (with guns) in the past year, we were in a position of determining how to maintain a viable branch in this location, and protect our members and staff. While we understand your concerns, and fully support the Second Amendment, we were forced to make a business decision to protect our members and staff.

We are not taking any position, or making any arguments regarding the Second Amendment. Rather, we are simply keeping guns out of our branch. We understand that you have a different perspective, and we respect that; however, we will not allow guns into the branch.

We hope that you can understand our perspective on this issue.

John Newett

As I read this message, I believe this pertains to this branch only. However, there are 25 Credit Unions in Indianapolis, I think I will start looking at the other 24.

You should respond to this message with, "How am I being protected in such a dangerous area between my car and your security doors if I must leave my own firearm in the car as you do not offer any safe location to store this firearm between your security doors and your teller counter?"

IMHO they should have some sort of 'lockers' or 'security box' you can place your firearm in if they are going to keep you from entering with it.

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    You should respond to this message with, "How am I being protected in such a dangerous area between my car and your security doors if I must leave my own firearm in the car as you do not offer any safe location to store this firearm between your security doors and your teller counter?"

IMHO they should have some sort of 'lockers' or 'security box' you can place your firearm in if they are going to keep you from entering with it.

With the wording and tone Mr. Newett used in his reply, I don't think he has any interest in any futher discussion. I'm just a number to them. Some sort of 'lockers' or 'security box' would be nice, but not going to happen.
    Mr. Newett states that "we will continue to act in what we feel is the best interest of our members and employees". I don't see how making customers stand out in the adverse weather and being made an (unarmed) targets is of the best interest of IMCU's customers.

Top Bottom