• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    IMCU College Park has new electronic double doors with a metal detector inside and a sign stating that those with weapons will be denied entrance. Teller informed me that soon all of their branches will be likewise modified.

I have been with IMCU since they were Indiana Federal CU (30+ years), and this move to curtail lawful carry is most disheartening, to say the least.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I wouldn't sweat it much.. It's extremely costly to add those doors .. Only the most likely locations to be robbed will get them I'm sure.. You would be surprised how many financial institutions get robbed and there isn't a peep on the news about it.. From what I heard a lot of branches were getting business hours armed security..

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    We have been members since the early 80's and I won't be happy if the branches that I frequent go this route but I suppose I will have to comply. The Branches that I use already have the armed security.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Money talks. especially when it walks.

Take your business to another institution, and tell them why you did.
    This crap will only spread if people put up with it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    How do they feel about pulling up to the drive-thru with an AR in plain site?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Banks in Indy are going to this. Several fifth thirds have them. As well as some Regions banks.

Will probably be in all of them eventually.

I have entered with a concealed glock before so i dont know if they work all the time, if they override them or what. People with pacemakers arent supposed to go through them so i dont know how all of it works but i know ive gotten a gun inside before.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    This kind of thing isn't really new; the National City Bank (formerly Merchants, now PNC) at 38th and Post had this 20 years ago, with a "buzz you in" sallyport type entry. Surprisingly, they didn't have similar entry controls on the exit door, so an armed robber would just have to rush the exit when a patron was leaving. I had to show my credentials (was a LEO then) to get inside with my weapon to get to my mother's safe deposit box. That was a pretty high crime neighborhood then, and I think it has only gotten way worse since then.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Interesting.
    I just was at a couple of banks to inquire on checking/savings plans and access my deposit box. I have been thinking of getting a larger safety deposit box to get a couple of weapons out of the house (as opposed to a bigger safe at home).
    Now I know their "rules" say you can't store that type of item.
    I wonder what would happen if someone stored a weapon (unloaded of course) before a bank installed metal detectors and then accessed their property setting off the detector on the way out?
    Gotta love how INGO brings up all kinds of things to ponder.....

Newt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2016
    Jamestown
    Huntington on 38th St has this sort of thing. Their's locks you in when both entering and exiting. I had to return to my car before they'd let me in last time. They were friendly and made a joke about me not being from around there. I suppose if you aren't thrilled about being locked in a metal box and having to disarm you could always go through the drive-up window. I don't ever go to that location, but that's what I'll do next time if I need to. Never have to worry about this at my usual spot.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I doubt I'll ever have that problem, my bank is in Oklahoma. Although I am starting to get a little paranoid about ATM usage with all of the reports about skimming and such.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Maybe the banks should try "NO ROBBING" signs. All caps, bold, large font, plus angry red color should stop those baddies in their tracks. Now if only bank robbery was a serious crime, a felony perhaps.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Maybe the banks should try "NO ROBBING" signs. All caps, bold, large font, plus angry red color should stop those baddies in their tracks. Now if only bank robbery was a serious crime, a felony perhaps.

You're right! That's why the "No Guns" signs weren't stopping robberies-they didn't have enough signs!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just keep going in with metal in your pockets. After a while, they'll start to ignore it.

THIS. I carry in the Mars Hill PNC all the time. Its easy:

Step 1: Dont look like a thug or crack head. (also follow their rules and remove hats/sunglasses)
    Step 2: When the buzzer goes off, make eye contact with the tellers and wait patiently.
    Step 3: Wait for the green light and conduct your business. Typically that includes an apology for the inconvenience.

Interesting.
    I just was at a couple of banks to inquire on checking/savings plans and access my deposit box. I have been thinking of getting a larger safety deposit box to get a couple of weapons out of the house (as opposed to a bigger safe at home).
    Now I know their "rules" say you can't store that type of item.
    I wonder what would happen if someone stored a weapon (unloaded of course) before a bank installed metal detectors and then accessed their property setting off the detector on the way out?
    Gotta love how INGO brings up all kinds of things to ponder.....

You wont. Dedicated exit doors dont have the same system. Pretty sure its a fire code violation to prevent someone from leaving a building. fire + malfunction = dead.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've been going to the same Greenwood Fifth Third for years. If they were to ever tell me I could no longer carry in that branch, I would ONE LAST TIME! Just long enough to withdraw all funds in cash!

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I have been thanked by a teller at my Credit Union for carrying before. I would hate to see that contraption come down to Evansville. Our banks don't even have any "No Weapon" signage but all the Kentucky banks do.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Wife works for a bank. These doors are more and more common because as someone else said there are robbories at least once a week and probably more that we dont hear about. My wife herself has been robbed at gunpoint twice.
    If you are regular at your bank I would expect that will most likely be waved on through. I myself was waved right on through at a local huntington because as another suggested I do not look like a crazy crackhead.
    As far as the exit someone else was talking about one door has to close before the other opens. Never more than one door open at once. In one of the gunpoint robberies my wife endured they were able to lock the guy in between the doors on his way out. He tried to shoot his way out and was injured by richochet/shrapnel.
    I wouldn't sweat it. I certainly would not switch banks if you are otherwise happy because most banks will probably head this way.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Wife works for a bank. These doors are more and more common because as someone else said there are robbories at least once a week and probably more that we dont hear about. My wife herself has been robbed at gunpoint twice.
    If you are regular at your bank I would expect that will most likely be waved on through. I myself was waved right on through at a local huntington because as another suggested I do not look like a crazy crackhead.
    As far as the exit someone else was talking about one door has to close before the other opens. Never more than one door open at once. In one of the gunpoint robberies my wife endured they were able to lock the guy in between the doors on his way out. He tried to shoot his way out and was injured by richochet/shrapnel.
    I wouldn't sweat it. I certainly would not switch banks if you are otherwise happy because most banks will probably head this way.

I understand the desire to protect their employees. I am against this way of doing it.
    They could put ballistic "glass" up, with devices installed to allow the transfer of money through the "glass".
    They could arm the tellers.
    They could try other options.
    But, I am against an option that disarms ME. I still have to get into the bank from a car. Now the robbers will just rob people before they get into the bank.

Top Bottom