• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    @ctbreitwieser Currently there are none. If you would want to get active and host a match at a southern club that would be great. Otherwise, check out Kentucky 3Gun. It will be the closest match for the southern Indiana folks.

@JJJ I think you can use PCR, it just will be for fun and would not count for series points. Work it out with one of the match directors. I would suggest ACC since everything is done in bays and the longest shot is 50 yards.

Rabbitdave, I've actually been working on that. I hosted one in September on our farm. It was small, 14 shooters, but it was my first one and I wasn't real sure how to run it. We just rolled with it and it actually turned out to be a lot of fun. I'm going to one in Kentucky in February, it'll give me an idea how they run, then I've already been talking to our local community club about hosting a bigger one. We're planning on setting up a committee for it so we can have dedicated people for timing, counting hits, etc. hopefully we can grow it from there. If you'd like to see some videos from the one hosted just hit me up and ill get you some links.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Is there a "Three Gun For Dummies"?

I've never done competitive shooting, but I'm interested...this looks like something I may enjoy. Looks like Southern Indiana may be a hinderance, but I am willing to drive a little to have some fun.

I understand it's pistol, shotgun, rifle and it looks like various stages using these three guns, but how does one start? What is the minimum requirements on gear? I just downloaded USPSA Rifle, Shotgun and Multigun rules and will give that a read...but it seems to me a trip to a match may answer a lot of questions. I have the standard weapons they talk about, but by looking at the pictures none of those weapons look stock by any stretch. For instance I have a Beretta 92F and a Sig P239 in 9mm - seems to be the caliber of choice; Three different ARs two are chambered for 5.56 (long range bull barrel and 16" precision barrel); and a number of 12ga shotguns from home defense Mossy to semi auto Browning and/or Rem 1100. All of these are pretty much off the shelf guns.

Trying to get my hands and arms around where to start.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana

I've never done competitive shooting, but I'm interested...this looks like something I may enjoy. Looks like Southern Indiana may be a hinderance, but I am willing to drive a little to have some fun.

I understand it's pistol, shotgun, rifle and it looks like various stages using these three guns, but how does one start? What is the minimum requirements on gear? I just downloaded USPSA Rifle, Shotgun and Multigun rules and will give that a read...but it seems to me a trip to a match may answer a lot of questions. I have the standard weapons they talk about, but by looking at the pictures none of those weapons look stock by any stretch. For instance I have a Beretta 92F and a Sig P239 in 9mm - seems to be the caliber of choice; Three different ARs two are chambered for 5.56 (long range bull barrel and 16" precision barrel); and a number of 12ga shotguns from home defense Mossy to semi auto Browning and/or Rem 1100. All of these are pretty much off the shelf guns.

Going to a match will answer most of the questions you have. Try to get on the email list of the clubs you are interested in attending matches at, they will usually send out reminders of matches and give round counts for each gun. Don't worry about gear. My first multigun match was shot with a Saiga 12, iron sighted Saiga 223 and a S7W 686 revolver :laugh: You'll get a feel for the game and for any gear you want to move into once you figure out the division you want to play in.

Most important thing is to just show up and see what it's all about.

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    Check this post What to bring to a 3-gun shoot? it has a link and some good info from RePete on what stuff to bring. To start you will need to start is the three guns, way to carry them from stage to stage (gun bag), ammo, safety flags (I have used old toothbrushes), holster/belt for pistol and way to carry shotgun ammo. Beyond that focus on gun safety and a willingness to learn and that is about it. Of the guns, pick the ones you are most comfortable operating and know where the hit. Having to learn to operate a gun and run a stage is difficult and stressful.

An easy way to get started is Steel Challenges like Friday Night Steel at Marion County F&G. Gets you use to running your fire arms in a timed and safe manner really helps.

Hope that helps

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    If you want to get some ideas of what it can be like go to youtube and search. About every match there are new folks so just show up with what a good attitude and check it out. The primary thing I have found when you are in a new group (doesn't matter your previous experience) is BE SAFE. I have shot with several new groups and new shooters and the big issue is this new person going to be safe. Not how good they are, but can they compete safely and do they pitch in to help.

jwfuhrman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Decatur
    tohm posted the schedule. While it is tentative, it has a 80% chance of NOT changing any.

Registration for the Series itself will open 2/1/14 sometime during the day(whenever I get around to sending out the link that day).

While there are only a few sponsors lined up for the prize table so far, what I do have from them, lets just say so far there are gonna be at least 3 or more 4473's that are gonna have to be filled out once the shoot off is over.

drewtitans

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    GEORGETOWN
    ctbreitwieser - I live in the southeast part of the state and shoot at Owensboro and Wilmore. Rock castle is another location a couple of hours from here. Bluegrass Sportsmans League (Wilmore) has their first match on the 25th of this month, great club and a great group of shooters. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or just want more info. Drew

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    Rockcastle had an announcement that they will be having monthly club level 3 Gun events with a USPSA on Saturday and 3 Gun on Sunday starting in February I think. Went down there last year and it was a LOT of shooting and a LOT of fun. Some of the guys I have seen in the INMG were down there.

Bcampbell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Bloomington
    Hello

My 14yo kid ask me this week if he could try a
    Multigun match this spring so it looks lke we will get to meet some of you.
    He might try the first one at Atlanta

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    ctbreitwieser - I live in the southeast part of the state and shoot at Owensboro and Wilmore. Rock castle is another location a couple of hours from here. Bluegrass Sportsmans League (Wilmore) has their first match on the 25th of this month, great club and a great group of shooters. Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions or just want more info. Drew

Where can I find addresses for these clubs?

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009

Your 16" AR will be just fine provided you don't have a large higher powered scope on it. Iron sights, red dots, or low (1-4x or 1-6x) powered variables are the most common and best options for 3-gun. You would struggle somewhat with a 5-15x type optic. You can carry a spare mag for an AR in your back pocket and consider a kydex mag pouch later.

Beretta 92, good to go. Bring 3 magazines and a way to carry two of them on a belt.

Remington 1100 works ok. I would bring the shotgun that has the most capacity and is easiest to load. I would rather have a pump that held 8+1 than a semi that held 4+1. You will need a way to keep a few shotgun shells organized on your belt. Look for some new or used California Competition Works 4 or 6 shell caddies. These are the least expensive option and perfectly serviceable. 12 shells on your belt and 9 in your shotgun should get you through MOST club match stages. I have the ability to carry a lot more but that is typically only a concern at larger matches. A side saddle is my shell storage of last resort because of the weight it adds to the gun and because it is slower than loading from a belt.

Don't expect to be a shotgun loading master your first time out. Look around on youtube for tutorials on weak hand loading, strong hand loading, quad loading, dual loading, etc. You don't have to be a master to come out and have fun. One thing to keep in mind, a lot of those loads that you see guys perform on youtube in their basement, are a far cry from the times they actually hit on the range in the middle of a stage. Even the best guys drop shells and botch loads.

Bring safety glass, ear protection, sunscreen, water, snacks, and a good way to carry all your stuff around.

Most of all bring a good attitude and a safe attitude. 3 gun is conducted on a cold range. Load all the magazines you want but do not put one in a gun until under direction of the range officer. Chamber flags are a good idea and highly encouraged. They often sell them very cheaply at the matches. Don't hesitate to ask for guidance and/or inform your squadmates that you are a new shooter. Without fail, someone will help you get started. New shooters won't get put at the front of the line to shoot stages, giving you an opportunity to observe.

Don't go gear crazy. It's mostly the Indian, not the arrow. Don't buy much except the barest necessities until you get a feel for what might work for you.

Help reset stages if you aren't the next shooter or on-deck.

Your first few matches, make your main goal to shoot 100% safely. Speed will come later.

Have fun!

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Oh yeah. Know your rifle zero. Don't zero at 50 and assume you are on at 200. Don't zero on steel. Zero on paper and walk out and look at your groups so you know exactly where you are hitting. Then shoot at a variety of distances so you understand where your point of impact is at various distances. Aside from loading the shotgun, longish range rifle makes more people time out than anything.

Long range rifle is still the weakest part of my game and creeps up and bites me in the ass at matches with embarrassing frequency, despite my focus on improving that specific skill.

RePete68

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lowell, IN
    NPCCC - 933 N. Calumet Ave. Chesterton, IN 46304 NPCCC - North Porter County Conservation Club | Home

Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol - 12094 South 300 East, Brookston, IN 47923 Wildcat Valley Rifle & Pistol Club

ACC - 29595 Leonard Rd; Atlanta, Indiana 46031 Atlanta Conservation Club

Hillside Shooting Sports - 7870 N Mayne Rd, Roanoke, IN 46783 Hillside Shooting Sports - Welcome to Hillside Shooting Sports

The address for Hillside is to their clubhouse. The actual range is about a mile west of the clubhouse. I don't know if there is an actual address for the range. If you go to the clubhouse they will give you directions to the range, or call before hand. I wish they would post this info on their page. Most people that come out for the first time get lost, so FYI.

rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    From Facebook and venerable John Fuhrman:
    Registration is now LIVE. Its earlier than originally stated but who else is excited about getting this year started? Plus, who else is just ready for all this cold and snow to go away!

Registration is for the POINTS SERIES ONLY. There will still be registration at each event, day of each event.

Match Fee's are staying at $25.
    Registration for the Point Series is $30.
    REGISTRATION AFTER MARCH 16, 2014 (FIRST EVENT) WILL BE $40.

The only divisions that will count towards the points series itself will be Tac Optics, Tac Limited and Open.

The Series this year is Best 5 of 14 Events with 1 required at Each Location and the remaining event to be shot at the shooters choice.

Top Shooter from Tac Optics, Tac Limited and Open will earn a spot in the Shoot Off with the remaining shooters coming from Tac Optics.

Without further delay -

http://events.constantcontact.com/register/event?llr=r6q6htlab&oeidk=a07e8ijc8e07da30a2b

IndianaMultigun.com will be updated as soon as possible but please for now pay attention to the Facebook Page and to this email list for any updates.

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    The rifle part is why I'm going to take my kid to Atlanta first.He's not shot any distance before . He should be fine at 50yds or less.

Has he shot any kind of structured match before? Shooting a USPSA pistol only match first would help him learn safe practices and starting commands without the added stress of managing all three guns. Plus learning how to break down stages and plan in USPSA is a skill that translates directly to 3-gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Has he shot any kind of structured match before? Shooting a USPSA pistol only match first would help him learn safe practices and starting commands without the added stress of managing all three guns. Plus learning how to break down stages and plan in USPSA is a skill that translates directly to 3-gun.

Young Campbell is a B class USPSA shooter.

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    From Facebook and venerable John Fuhrman:

The only divisions that will count towards the points series itself will be Tac Optics, Tac Limited and Open.

Discrimination against Heavy Tac! Discrimination! Conspiracy! Just another case of The Man trying to keep .30 caliber down.
    I guess the competition in HvyTac was just too hot to watch.

Mr Boomer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    South Bend
    Need help picking a division. I have no experience with 3 gun. I have a Glock 17, 2 AR15s (16in Chromo barrel w/open sights, stock trigger; or 20in Stainless Steel SAM-R Barrel, Geissele enhanced trigger, adjustable gas block, reduced recoil buffer and spring, 3x9 Leupold Patrol scope and possible 45 degree offsets) and looking to enter the shotgun world with a Remington 870 Tactical that I found for $295.

With that setup what division would you pick? What would your gameplan be.....begin

Top Bottom